[gnu.g++] Sun 3 OS 4.0 Problem

frerking@grapenuts.llnl.gov (Chris Frerking) (08/18/89)

Could someone please send me the (apparently recently posted)
fixes to the __DYNAMIC problem on sun3 under OS 4.0.3.

Thanks in advance,
Chris (frerking@lll-lcc.llnl.gov)

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (08/18/89)

frerking@grapenuts.llnl.gov (Chris Frerking) writes:

>Could someone please send me the (apparently recently posted)
>fixes to the __DYNAMIC problem on sun3 under OS 4.0.3.

The 'problem' is fixed best by fixing the configure/install method, not
the posted patch.  We bumped into the same problem, and fixed it by
fixing our configuration method.  When you build g++ 1.35.0 they
recommend you have a dir gcc-1.35, a symlink gcc pointing to gcc-1.35,
a dir g++-1.35, and a dir g++.  In g++ you are supposed to have a whole
bunch of symbolic links to the contents of the other two dirs.  First
you configure/build gcc.  Then you configure/build g++.  This seems to
give an incorrect configure on Sun3/OS4.0 -- config.h is a symlink to a
symlink to .../gcc/config/xm-sunos4.h.

After you have built gcc but *before* you configure g++, go to your g++
directory.  Delete the symbolic link 'config'.  Create a directory
named 'config', cd into it.  Now create symbolic links to the contents
of the gcc/config, ie
  ln -s ../../gcc/config/* .
Now give the configure command for g++.  This will give you a symlink
to a symlink from config.h to .../gcc/config/xm-sunos4+.h.

I won't swear this is a general problem with the g++ install.  But at
least 4 sites have bumped into it including Frerking and us.  The
'posted fix' he mentioned patched xm-sunos4.h to be identical to
xm-sunos4+.h.
--
Steve Simmons		          scs@vax3.iti.org
Industrial Technology Institute     Ann Arbor, MI.