[net.games.rogue] Help with scrolls and potions

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (08/13/85)

[You have been granted the privilege of genocide.]
I would like a little help explaining the effects of certain scrolls and
potions:
Potion:  "You have a strange feeling for a moment, then it passes."
Scroll:  "You hear maniacal laughter in the distance."
Scroll:  "You feel a pull downward."
Scroll:  "You hear a high pitched humming noise."
And a scroll that just vanishes...  Doing nothing as far as I can tell.
Anyone know what these are or do?
					Carl Greenberg

james@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Jim Lowe) (08/14/85)

> Potion:  "You have a strange feeling for a moment, then it passes."

This is detection of some sort (probably magic, but it could be monster
detection).

> Scroll:  "You hear maniacal laughter in the distance."

This is a scare monster scroll.  You shouldn't read these.  Just drop them and
stand on them.  Monsters won't hit you.

> Scroll:  "You feel a pull downward."

This is a gold detection scroll.  There isn't any gold on the level, so you
feel the pull downward.

> Scroll:  "You hear a high pitched humming noise."

This is an aggrevate monster scroll.  Any sleeping monsters on the level
are now awake.
	- Jim
	ihnp4!uwmcsd1!james
or	uwmcsd1!james@wisc-rsch.arpa

dave@andromeda.UUCP (Dave Bloom) (08/15/85)

In article <209@proper.UUCP>, carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) writes:
> [You have been granted the privilege of genocide.]
> I would like a little help explaining the effects of certain scrolls and
> potions:
> Potion:  "You have a strange feeling for a moment, then it passes."
> Scroll:  "You hear maniacal laughter in the distance."
> Scroll:  "You feel a pull downward."
> Scroll:  "You hear a high pitched humming noise."
> And a scroll that just vanishes...  Doing nothing as far as I can tell.
> Anyone know what these are or do?
> 					Carl Greenberg

Maniacal Laughter:	Scare Monster
Pull Downward:		Increase Dungeon Level
High Pitch:		Aggrevate Monster
Strange Feeling:	Sense gold or magic when none is on this level (?)

Boy would I LOVE sources to Rogue 5.5. Are they Public Domain? Anyone have
them to copy or trade???

UUCP: {allegra, seismo}!topaz!andromeda!dave			 Dave Bloom
WORK: (201) 648-5083
HOME: (201) 868-1764 		  "You're never alone with a schizophrenic...."

> > [You have been granted the privilege of genocide.]
> > I would like a little help explaining the effects of certain scrolls and
> > potions:
[ ... ]
> Scroll:  "You feel a pull downward."
[ ... ]
> 					Carl Greenberg
[ ... ]
> Pull Downward:		Increase Dungeon Level
[ ... ]
> UUCP: {allegra, seismo}!topaz!andromeda!dave			 Dave Bloom

As I recall (I haven't played rogue since we got hack), that one is gold
detection when there is no more gold on the current level.
--
					der Mouse

{ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

Hacker: One responsible for destroying /
Wizard: One responsible for recovering it afterward

matt@saber.UUCP (Matt Perez) (08/20/85)

> I would like a little help explaining the effects of certain scrolls and
> potions:
> Scroll:  "You hear a high pitched humming noise."
>
> 					Carl Greenberg

Reading this scroll wakes up an Ice Monster which will
now try to munch on you ... .

wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) (08/26/85)

"You hear a high-pitched humming noise."

This is an "aggravate monster" scroll, which will wake up any monster
in the room you are in (some say anywhere on the level).  Very useful
if you are standing on a scare monster scroll, otherwise a pain in the
ass.

	Dave Wagner