[net.games.rogue] More on scrolls

emuroga@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (08/26/85)

    What does a staff of cancellation do?

romeroa@pyuxd.UUCP (A Romero) (08/29/85)

I know some versions of rogue have scrolls of acquirement, which allow
you to obtain immediately one item of your choice.  WHat you're
describing might just be a cursed scroll of acquirement.  (I'm not
sure,having never seen a cursed scroll of acquirement, if there is such
a thing, but it seems to fit.)

-A. Romero
...!gamma!pyuxww!pyuxt!romeroa

bjanz@watarts.UUCP (Bruce Janz) (08/29/85)

In article <34500050@uiucdcs> emuroga@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>    What does a staff of cancellation do?

It removes any special power a monster has. When zapped with this wand (or
when a magic-user casts a cancellation spell), Black Puddings do not
divide when struck, blindheims do not blind, umber hulks do not confuse,
etc. They don't always work, though -- they can miss just like any other
wand, depending on the monster's armor class.

--

Reality is for those who have no imagination. . .

                                  b janz

          watmath!watarts!bjanz     OR     watmath!watdcs!bbjanz

wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) (08/29/85)

A staff of cancellation can be used to nullify any special talents
or properties that a monster has.  For example, if you zap a black
pudding with one, it will no longer split in two every time you
hit it.  Umber hulks won't be able to confuse you.  Etc.

By the way, a friend of mine advocates that, if you happen to find
a scroll of genocide, you should wipe out black puddings, because they
are such a pain in the ass!

			Dave Wagner
			University of Washington Comp Sci Department
			wagner@washington.arpa
			{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-wally!wagner

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) (08/29/85)

>> Speaking of unidentifiable scrolls, there is one that causes the message
>> "you feel a strange sense of loss".  However, I can't figure out what it is
>> I am losing!  Anybody got any ideas?
>>

>Are you sure you get this from reading a scroll?  This sounds like
>the message I get if my dog dies out of my sight...

Sorry, the dog is in the wrong game.  That's *hack*, this is
*rogue*.

A strage sence of loss is detect something, as stated by many others,
though it DOES have another meaning in SOME versions.

hou2e!ksl

rt@cpsc53.UUCP (Ron Thompson) (08/30/85)

>     What does a staff of cancellation do?

If you zap one in the direction of an ant, for instance,
the insect's sting will have no effect. This applies
to the other monsters such as bone devils as well.
Remember, though, they will continue to drain your hit
points.

Has anyone found a good use for a wand of teleport to?

Ron Thompson
(..akgua!cpsc53!rt}

wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) (08/31/85)

I have had scrolls of aquirement several times, and you know when you've
got one.  It tells you what it is and takes you through a series of menus
to select the item you wish to aquire.  However, sometimes you aquire
cursed things!!

guzzi@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (08/31/85)

	The "strange sense of loss" message from reading a scroll means
that you have read a scroll of hold monster with no monsters around.  A
hold monster scroll puts all monsters adjacent to you asleep so that you
can get away or just wait there for your hit points to build back up.

			      --Mark Guzzi
				CSNET:	guzzi%uiuc@csnet-relay.ARPA
				UUCP:	{ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!guzzi
			        USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!guzzi
			        ARPA:	guzzi@uiuc.arpa

raver@mruxe.UUCP (virzi) (09/02/85)

On the 4.2 Ultrix version of Unix (I don't know the
version of rogue) A strange sense of loss is accompanied
by a drop in the maximum number of hit points  you can get.