[gnu.g++] Re^2: Help with g++

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (10/18/89)

dwf@prudence.lanl.gov (David W. Forslund) writes:
>I would like to voice my objection to this style for differentiating
>gcc and g++.  I believe it is perfectly within the C++ specification
>to have .c as a suffix for C++ programs.  The suffix should not be the
>distinguishing characteristic of C++ programs necessarily.  Some other
>mechanism should be used to distinguish C++ programs other than the suffix.

Interesting.  I tend to prefer the other POV: that C++ files have
different endings that C files do.  Just like Pascal files have
diferent endings that either C or Fortran.  I even carry the point a
bit further and name my C++ include files with a .hh suffix rather than
the more normal .h suffix.

I think that it is valuable to be able to tell at a glance whether a
file is a C++ file or a C file.  (besides, that way, emacs can call up
the correct major mode!!!!).

+C
--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com