[gnu.g++] general queries about g++

markus@ti-csl.csc.ti.com (Markus N. Richardson) (12/03/89)

I am quite new to g++ and have not even installed it yet.  If it matters,
I will be using g++/gdb on a DECstation 3100.  A few questions:

   1) Is it possible to link the object files of the DEC assembler as
      well as X (DECwindows) libraries with g++ object files?  (I'm
      sorry if the recent discussion on g++/gdb and COFF answered this one;
      I just came on board and missed out)
   2) What packages (i.e., BISON, GAS, etc.) are necessary to get g++ and
      gdb up and running on the 3100s?
   3) Have the symbol name "mangling" problems been resolved for both data
      as well as functions?
   3) Any DECstation g++/gdb users have good/bad experiences to share?

We are currently using the AT&T C++ 2.0 cfront which is a real pain to
work with when debugging because of the symbol name "mangling" that occurs.

I know these are probably the *very* candidates for "the most frequently
asked questions" in this newsgroup, so please be kind enough to send me
the respective "back-issues" that answer my queries.

Please e-mail to me (if possible).  Thanks for your help.

Markus Richardson
markus@ti.com

keith@csli.Stanford.EDU (Keith Nishihara) (12/05/89)

markus@ti-csl.csc.ti.com (Markus N. Richardson) writes:

>I am quite new to g++ and have not even installed it yet.  If it matters,
>I will be using g++/gdb on a DECstation 3100.  A few questions:

You will have some significant work to do, then; gcc/g++ on the pmax
don't support either the -g debugging option, or gdb.  That was as of Nov 15
when I last looked.  I also found g++ to be rather flakey on the decstation,
and the lack of any kind of debugging support at all killd it as far as I was
concerned.

>   1) Is it possible to link the object files of the DEC assembler as
>      well as X (DECwindows) libraries with g++ object files?  (I'm
>      sorry if the recent discussion on g++/gdb and COFF answered this one;
>      I just came on board and missed out)

I believe that the function linkage conventions of the native compilers
and of gcc/g++ on the decstation are the same, so the answer is yes.

>   2) What packages (i.e., BISON, GAS, etc.) are necessary to get g++ and
>      gdb up and running on the 3100s?

No gas support yet.  Bison is required for a complete recompile, but in the
version I obtained, the bison outut was valid, and bison did not need to be
rerun.

Neil Hunt	Neil%teleos.com@ai.sri.com