[net.games.rogue] Scare monster scrolls

goldfarb (05/27/82)

Is there a timeout on the effectiveness of scare monster scrolls?  Or
do heavy-duty monsters have the ability to resist being scared by them?
I recently polymorphed a purple worm on level 8 and after a few whacks
at him while standing on a scroll of sscare monster, he kicked the ****
out of me.
					Ben Goldfarb
					..duke!ucf-cs!goldfarb

emrath@uiuccsb.UUCP (04/04/84)

#R:eosp1:-76700:uiuccsb:18800001:000:324
uiuccsb!emrath    Apr  3 14:31:00 1984

Yes, in 5.2 I have had monsters cough up SCARE MONSTER scrolls
approximately three times.

I doubt very much that they can pick one up because they can't
go over it. Remember that if you drop one in a tunnel and walk
away, the tunnel remains plugged up and the beasties are piled
up behind the scroll when you return to it.

marie@nmtvax.UUCP (04/04/84)

	they sometimes do carry/drop this scroll.
	they never pick it up again

clardy@smu.UUCP (04/10/84)

#R:eosp1:-76700:smu:25400014:000:139
smu!clardy    Apr  9 16:04:00 1984

Correction:  Monster treasures are generated when the monster is
created, NOT when it dies. (This from the source to an advanced version.)

notes@iuvax.UUCP (04/13/84)

#R:eosp1:-76700:iuvax:9800020:000:239
iuvax!apratt    Apr 12 12:21:00 1984

re: treasures in a monster's "pack" are created when the monster is created.
If that is the case, then for consistency's sake monsters should not be created
with scare monster scrolls.
						-- Allan Pratt
					...ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!apratt

clardy@smu.UUCP (04/17/84)

#R:eosp1:-76700:smu:25400016:000:445
smu!clardy    Apr 16 16:02:00 1984

/***** SMU:net.games.rogu / iuvax!notes /  5:10 am  Apr 13, 1984 */
> re: treasures in a monster's "pack" are created when the monster is created.
> If that is the case, then for consistency's sake monsters should not be
> created with scare monster scrolls.
						-- Allan Pratt
					...ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!apratt
/* ---------- */

  Possibly Allan, but such a minor fix is barely worth the effort.
  (Too many more interesting changes to make)

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (04/18/84)

With regard to monsters being created carrying scare monster scrolls.

There is a fine point here that appears throughout the game.  The point
is that it is certain transitions that are important rather than the
state those transitions lead to.  This is more obvious when one
considers movement.  We all know that when a trap is present that
moving onto that square will spring the trap.  What is probably not
commonly recognized is that it it the movement onto that square that
springs the trap.  NOT being on the square.

Whats the difference?  If you get onto the square by any other means,
such as teleportation or desending a level then the trap will NOT
spring.  This means that the square you land on from teleport or stairs
is not necessarially a "safe" one to step on again.  This also applies
to picking things up.  I have come down the stairs, moved, and had to
move back to pick up an object that was on the square I landed on.
Rare, but it happens.

I can see how this would apply to scare monster scrolls.  Remember that
the rule is that monsters will not move onto a square that has a scare
monster scroll on it.  If the monster is created on that square there
is no problem!

As another point remember that a carried scare monster scroll has no
effect.  It must be on the square to have effect.  If the monster is
carrying the scroll then why would you expect it to affect the
monster.  Granted that the monster can never pick one up, he can still
wind up carrying it.

					    Jerry Aguirre
    {hplabs|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

apt@inmet.UUCP (08/28/85)

To the people who would like elaboration on my comment about carrying all
you can so that you can use a scare monster scroll more than once:

Normally, when you drop a scare monster scroll and use it, it will turn
to dust if you step off of it and back on.  However, if you are carrying
all that you possibly can, you can drop the scroll, fight your monsters,
and then find something to pick up to replace the scare monster scroll.
Then, if you want to use it again, you can step onto it and be safe.
However, you can never pick it up again.  This can really come in handy
sometimes, especially on the lower levels, or in an "infinite/party room".
Also, I don't think it costs you anything to carry the maximum load, so
why not do it, just so you have more to throw at monsters?

			-=:| Alan Taylor |:=-

			      ...harpo!inmet!apt
			      ...hplabs!sri-unix!cca!ima!inmet!apt
			      ...yale-comix!ima!inmet!apt

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) (09/01/85)

In article <18700005@inmet.UUCP> apt@inmet.UUCP writes:

>To the people who would like elaboration on my comment about carrying all
>you can so that you can use a scare monster scroll more than once:
>
>Normally, when you drop a scare monster scroll and use it, it will turn
>to dust if you step off of it and back on.  However, if you are carrying
>all that you possibly can, you can drop the scroll, fight your monsters,
>and then find something to pick up to replace the scare monster scroll.
>Then, if you want to use it again, you can step onto it and be safe.
>However, you can never pick it up again.  This can really come in handy
>sometimes, especially on the lower levels, or in an "infinite/party room".
>Also, I don't think it costs you anything to carry the maximum load, so
>why not do it, just so you have more to throw at monsters?

What is all this?  Doesn't anyone use the 'm' command?
--
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen
DARPA:	stephen%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (09/03/85)

In article <422@dcl-cs.UUCP> stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) writes:
>In article <18700005@inmet.UUCP> apt@inmet.UUCP writes:

>>To the people who would like elaboration on my comment about carrying all
>>you can so that you can use a scare monster scroll more than once:
>>
>>Normally, when you drop a scare monster scroll and use it, it will turn
>>to dust if you step off of it and back on.  However, if you are carrying
>>all that you possibly can, you can drop the scroll, fight your monsters,
>>and then find something to pick up to replace the scare monster scroll.
>>Then, if you want to use it again, you can step onto it and be safe.
>
>What is all this?  Doesn't anyone use the 'm' command?

rogue version 5.2 (and probably all earlier) does not have
the 'm' (move onto object without picking it up) command.
version 5.3 (and probably all later) does have 'm'.

To find out what version you are running, try 'v'
while playing the game.

When posting questions or answers, please include your version
number.  You will more likely get the answer you seek...

jeq
``I deny this is a disclaimer.''

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) (09/03/85)

In article <422@dcl-cs.UUCP> some_silly_@ writes:
>In article <18700005@inmet.UUCP> apt@inmet.UUCP writes:
>>
>>To the people who would like elaboration on my comment about carrying all
>>you can so that you can use a scare monster scroll more than once:
>>
>>Normally, when you drop a scare monster scroll and use it, it will turn
>>to dust if you step off of it and back on.  However, if you are carrying
>>all that you possibly can, you can drop the scroll, fight your monsters,
>>and then find something to pick up to replace the scare monster scroll.
>>Then, if you want to use it again, you can step onto it and be safe.
>>However, you can never pick it up again.  This can really come in handy
>>sometimes, especially on the lower levels, or in an "infinite/party room".
>>Also, I don't think it costs you anything to carry the maximum load, so
>>why not do it, just so you have more to throw at monsters?
>
>What is all this?  Doesn't anyone use the 'm' command?

For those people who care to know, the 'm' command appears
ONLY in 5.3.  No other UN-HACKED version conatains this command.
(For those with 5.5, it was supposed to contain it, (the option is there),
but does not, due to the fact that 5.5 is a version which was not
supposed to have been released.)

hou2e!ksl

warack@aero.ARPA (Chris Warack) (09/03/85)

on the lower levels, or in an "infinite/party room".
>>Also, I don't think it costs you anything to carry the maximum load, so
>>why not do it, just so you have more to throw at monsters?

>What is all this?  Doesn't anyone use the 'm' command?

Some of us 'poor unfortunates' don't have the 'm' command.  We can only
wait for out systems to get upgraded to 4.2.  If you have the 'm'
command, you can get even more uses out of a scare monster by 'testing'
it.  When a scroll is discovered, move on it and see if you already know
what it is.  If it is unidentified and you haven't found a 'scare
monster' previously, test it.  To do this, lure a monster so that it
would normally cross the scroll.  If it steps on it, then the scroll is
NOT 'scare monster.'  If it goes around it, then the scroll is 'scare
monster.'  A variant of this is to stand on the scroll while fighting a
monster to test the scroll.  If any sort of 'the monster hit' or 'the
monster misses' messages appear, it is NOT a scare monster.  In this
case, standing on the scroll protects you.  You can then pick it up
later; drop it again and use it as normal.  If you try to pick it up
again, it turns to dust.  You can use the 'c' command to 'call' it a
'scare monster' scroll after picking it up and save an identify for
something else.

Regards,
Chris
--
 _______
|/-----\|    Chris Warack			(213) 648-6617
||hello||
|-------|    warack@aero.UUCP
|_______|         sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!trwrb!trwrba!aero!warack
 ^^^ ^^^  `---------(|=

scent@sask.UUCP (Scent Project) (09/04/85)

> To the people who would like elaboration on my comment about carrying all
> you can so that you can use a scare monster scroll more than once:
>
> Normally, when you drop a scare monster scroll and use it, it will turn
> to dust if you step off of it and back on.  However, if you are carrying
> all that you possibly can, you can drop the scroll, fight your monsters,
> and then find something to pick up to replace the scare monster scroll.

In our version of rogue 5.3, it is possible to use the "m" command before
an actual movement, to move onto something without picking it up.  This is
how to test for scare monster scrolls--get a monster chasing you, then move
onto the scroll and see if it will hit you.  Since you never actually picked
up the scroll, you can then do so without it crumbling to dust.

					Ken McDonald

jt@nrcvax.UUCP (Jerry Toporek) (09/04/85)

In article <422@dcl-cs.UUCP> stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) writes:
>In article <18700005@inmet.UUCP> apt@inmet.UUCP writes:
>> [... explanation of how carrying maximum stuff helps you reuse ... ]
>> [... a scare monster scroll ... ]
>What is all this?  Doesn't anyone use the 'm' command?

He doesn't use the 'm' command because his version probably doesn't have it.

Could everyone please specify version numbers when discussing rogue?  The
conversation will make a lot more sense.
--
	Jerry Toporek
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!jt

gdh@dcl-cs.UUCP (Gareth Husk) (09/10/85)

In article <246@nrcvax.UUCP> jt@nrcvax.UUCP (Jerry Toporek) writes:
>In article <422@dcl-cs.UUCP> stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) writes:
>>In article <18700005@inmet.UUCP> apt@inmet.UUCP writes:
>>> [... explanation of how carrying maximum stuff helps you reuse ... ]
>>> [... a scare monster scroll ... ]
>>What is all this?  Doesn't anyone use the 'm' command?
>
>He doesn't use the 'm' command because his version probably doesn't have it.
>
>Could everyone please specify version numbers when discussing rogue?  The
>conversation will make a lot more sense.

Nice attempt at a defence Jerry but I'm afraid that we have version 5.2 or 5.3
which does have 'm' . Can't be exact on the version because access is barred
until after 5pm. Oh well I didn't understand sjm's article in the first place.

Gareth.

--
NOTICE: This quote was removed to keep jam a little quieter.

... and now back to flame-thrower

UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!gdh
DARPA: gdh%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,
JANET: gdh@uk.ac.lancs.comp	|	Department of Computing,
Phone: +44 524 65201 ext 4146	|	Bailrigg, Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK.