>From janus!todd@uunet.UU.NET Fri Jan  5 22:05:02 1990
From: janus!todd@uunet.uu.net
To: uunet!hubcap.clemson.edu!rajarar@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: Re: Request for C++ Textbook
Date: Friday,  5 Jan 1990 17:23-PST

start additions:

	Tony Hansen	C++ Answer Book

end changes:

(from the CommonView BBS ~12/28/89)

               LIST OF BOOKS ON C++ AS OF OCTOBER, 1989

1.  The Waite Group's C++ Programing
    Author: John Berry
    Publisher: Howard W. Sams & Co., 1988
    ISBN 0-672-22619-7

2.  Programing in C++
    Authors: Steve Dewhurst and Kathy Stark
    Publisher: Prentice Hall, 1989
    ISBN 0-13-723156-3

3.  Using C++
    Author: Bruce Eckel
    Publisher: Osborne-McGraw Hill, 1989
    ISBN 0-07-881522-3

4.  C++ Primer
    Author: Stanley Lippman
    Publisher: Addison-Wesley, 1989
    ISBN 0-201-16487-6

5.  Object Oriented Program Design
    Author: Mark Mullin
    Publisher: Addison-Wesley, 1989

6.  C++ for Programers
    Author: Ira Pohl
    Publilsher: Addison-Wesley, 1989

7.  User Interfaces in C++ and Object Oriented Programming
    Author: Mark Goodwin
    Publisher: MIS Press, 1989
    ISBN 1-55828-023-5

8.  C/C++ Expert Systems
    Author: David Hu
    Publisher: MIS Press, 1989
    ISBN 0-943518-86-5

9.  The C++ Programing Language
    Author: Bjarne Stroustroup
    Publisher: Addison-Wesley, 1986
    ISBN 0-201-12078-X

10. An Introduction to Object Oriented Programing in C++
    Authors: Weiner and Pinson
    Publisher: Addison-Wesley, 1988
    ISBN 0-201-15413-7

"Object Oriented Programming in C++", Wiener & Pinson  -- Awful.  Examples
contain non-portable contructs.  Sometimes examples work for reasons
unrelated to the author's explanation.  Authors were severly criticized by
Stroustrup, et al in the December SIGPLAN Notices.  Read at your own risk.

"C++ Prpgramming", John Berry -- Not good.  Very readable, but often
inaccurate.  Examples often don't work.

"The C++ Programming Language", Stroustrup -- Good, but out of date.
Recommended as the 2nd or 3rd book to read about C++.  Very technical in
presentation.  A newer draft of the book is known to exist.  (Spring `89)
Recommend picking it up when published.

"Programming in C++", Dewhurst & Stark -- Good.  Treatment is not
thorough, but example code merits close study.  Presentation is very
technical.  Recommended for advanced users.  Assumes C++ 2.0.

"C++ for C Programmers", Ira Pohl -- Good.  Many good exercises.  Limited in
scope, but efficient in presentation.  (i.e. Reader can start writing useful
code very quickly.)

"C++ Programming", Lippman -- Excellent.  Best 1st book on C++.  Fairly
comprehensive in scope.  Details differences between C++ 1.2 and 2.0.
Must read if new to language.

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (JAMES ADCOCK) (01/16/90)

Anyone actually seen a copy of the Mullin in print yet?

sabbagh@acf5.NYU.EDU (sabbagh) (01/16/90)

In article <10271@microsoft.UUCP> jimad@microsoft.UUCP (JAMES ADCOCK) writes:
>Anyone actually seen a copy of the Mullin in print yet?

I have reviewed and returned it.  It is garbage.  I do not recommend it.

The best book I have read on Object-oriented programming is Meyer's "Object-
oriented Software Construction".  Lippman is the best of the bunch for
C++, as it has the most coverage of 2.0 after AT&T's docs (not for
bedtime reading).  Also check out Hansen's C++ Answer Book -- contains
code for Stroustrup's problems.  Very good code, too!  Avoid Eckel's book.

Hadil G. Sabbagh
E-mail:		sabbagh@csd27.nyu.edu
Voice:		(212) 998-3125
Snail:		Courant Institute of Math. Sci.
		251 Mercer St.
		New York,NY 10012

186,282 miles per second -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!