    Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 11:47:58 EST
    From: rms@ai.mit.edu
    To: tiemann@ai.mit.edu
    Subject: GNU Papers

    If <Mr X>'s changes are just a few lines here and there, then we don't
    need papers from him.  If they are between 10 and a few hundred lines,
    then a disclaimer is sufficient.  Otherwise, we prefer an assignment,
    but a disclaimer will do.

    In addition to the disclaimer or assignment from the author, we need a
    disclaimer from the employer if appropriate.  We don't need this if
    the changes are so small that we don't need papers at all.

    You can ask for the papers yourself.  Send the person a copy of either
    assign.changes or disclaim.changes from /a2/rms/gnuorg/.  If you send
    assign.changes, go to the second page and fill in the name of the
    person and the program name, such as "the GNU C compiler".  These
    files contain full directions.  Later on, ask me whether the papers
    have arrived.

Therefore, remember that when you send me changes, I may turn around
and immediately ask for papers.  THIS IS NOT MEANT TO HASSLE YOU!  It
will probably save you time in the long run to have your changes
merged, legally, then to have to patch the release every time there is
a new one.  It takes more time to get the signature at first, but I
have been doing that for 3 years, and it gets real easy after the
first time.

Michael