[gnu.g++] Sun 4: GNU LD or collect?

newman@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Timothy S Newman) (01/18/90)

In article <90@ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU> rainwatr@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Don Rainwater) writes:

>	I'm trying to build g++ 1.36.3 on Ultrix 3.0 and I'm having a
>little trouble.  The installation section of the README file says that
>GAS and GNU LD should be used if available.  GAS is available, but I've
>been unable to locate GNU LD on any of the archives that I know of.  Is
>GNU LD available?  Where can I get it?

I have a similar question for Sun 4 OS 4.  Apparently, there is a
problem with using gnu LD to link programs with shared libraries on Sun
OS 4.0.  The Makefile recommends using collect instead.  Unfortunately,
when I try to use collect, I cannot compile it because I do not have the
ld library.  Where can I find this?

Also, is it possible to use gnu LD for linking programs with non-shared
libraries but use collect for linking programs with shared libraries?
If so, how do I do this?

Lastly, has anyone figured out a way to add support to gnu LD for shared
libraries as is suggested in the Makefile?

Thanks