[net.games.rogue] Who's afraid of a scare monster scroll?

wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) (09/12/85)

Version: Advanced Rogue 2.0.

I have just learned the hard way (:-) that not all monsters are afraid
of scare monster scrolls!  In particular, titans, lichs, and dragons
aren't (now you see what I mean by "hard way"!)

Does anybody out there know any reasonable guidelines for this type of thing?
Should I just forget about using scare monsters below, say, level 25?
Would it make any difference if the scroll had been blessed?

		Dave Wagner @ U Washington, Seattle

hachong@watmath.UUCP (Herb Chong) (09/14/85)

In article <234@uw-june> wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) writes:
>Version: Advanced Rogue 2.0.
>
>I have just learned the hard way (:-) that not all monsters are afraid
>of scare monster scrolls!  In particular, titans, lichs, and dragons
>aren't (now you see what I mean by "hard way"!)
>
>Does anybody out there know any reasonable guidelines for this type of thing?
>Should I just forget about using scare monsters below, say, level 25?
>Would it make any difference if the scroll had been blessed?

the probability that a monster is scared of a scare monster scroll for
this version depends upon the intelligence of the monster.  the more
intelligent the monster, the less likely it is to be afraid.  look in
the various D&D monster manuals as a starting point.  a blessed scroll
of scare monster allows you to pick it up again and reuse it once
more.  as soon as you pick it up the second time, it will vanish unless
you enchant it, whereupon it will become enchanted again.

Comment:  dave here has specified the full version of his rogue game,
which everyone should do.  a simple number is inadequate because there
are enough versions with their own numbering schemes that the name is
also required.  the versions of rogue shipped with BSD are typically
called rogue.  all the others have fancier names.  for those of you
still running rogue 3.6, you should note that there is no real standard
version.  all the ones i have are different.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

(will disappear at the end of September)
UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!hachong
CSNET: hachong%watmath@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  hachong%watmath%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

twiss@stolaf.UUCP (Thomas S. Twiss) (09/16/85)

> In article <234@uw-june> wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) writes:
> >Version: Advanced Rogue 2.0.
> >
> >I have just learned the hard way (:-) that not all monsters are afraid
> >of scare monster scrolls!  In particular, titans, lichs, and dragons
> >aren't (now you see what I mean by "hard way"!)
> >
> >Does anybody out there know any reasonable guidelines for this type of thing?
> >Should I just forget about using scare monsters below, say, level 25?
> >Would it make any difference if the scroll had been blessed?
>
> the probability that a monster is scared of a scare monster scroll for
> this version depends upon the intelligence of the monster.  the more
> intelligent the monster, the less likely it is to be afraid.  look in
> the various D&D monster manuals as a starting point.  a blessed scroll
> of scare monster allows you to pick it up again and reuse it once
> more.  as soon as you pick it up the second time, it will vanish unless
> you enchant it, whereupon it will become enchanted again.
>
> Comment:  dave here has specified the full version of his rogue game,
> which everyone should do.  a simple number is inadequate because there
> are enough versions with their own numbering schemes that the name is
> also required.  the versions of rogue shipped with BSD are typically
> called rogue.  all the others have fancier names.  for those of you
> still running rogue 3.6, you should note that there is no real standard
> version.  all the ones i have are different.
>
> Herb Chong...
>
> I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....
>
> (will disappear at the end of September)
> UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!hachong
> CSNET: hachong%watmath@waterloo.csnet
> ARPA:  hachong%watmath%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

	I have been playing a modified version of advanced rogue 1.0
in which basically any singular creature (gods, demon and devil princes/lords)
are impervious to scare monster scrolls.  The other thing I have noticed is
that ANY creature can use a special ability on you even if the scroll has
effect.  e.g. dragons can breathe, pitfiends can breathe and terrify you,
U hulks can confuse, etc.  Generally, I have found that scare monster scrolls
in advanced rogue are of far less importance than they are in other versions
such as rogue 5.3, 4.22, or 3.6 in which they are perhaps the most powerful
item in the game.

--
I don't even have an employer, so these views can't be theirs!

Tom Twiss @ St. Olaf College
Nothfield, MN 55057
{decvax,ihnp4}!stolaf!twiss