[net.games.rogue] Rogue or hack on micros?

jwp@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeffrey W Percival) (09/16/85)

I'm posting this for a friend...  sorry if I've missed discussion on this.

Is rogue or hack available for IBM PC's or other MS-DOS computers?

--
	Jeff Percival ...!uwvax!uwmacc!jwp

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (09/17/85)

In article <1466@uwmacc.UUCP> jwp@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>I'm posting this for a friend...  sorry if I've missed discussion on this.
>
>Is rogue or hack available for IBM PC's or other MS-DOS computers?
>
>--
>	Jeff Percival ...!uwvax!uwmacc!jwp

In short, yes. I have the IBMPC version of ROGUE, although if you are
used to the mainframe one, it may be a bit of culture shock. It uses
(horrors) the keypad for movement, and Fkeys for special funcs (incl a
user-definable one). HOWEVER - it can also use the standard HJKL & co.
setup, and has basically all the same keys except f & F (auto fight).
There is a 'fast play', invoked by the scroll lock key, which
automatically does the equivalent of shifting a direction key (w/o
passing branch corridors0. And (this is the biggie), it uses IBMPC color
and character graphics. This is great for someone who has never played
mainframe rogue before (like me, until recently). You will quickly find
yourself spoiled by it. My version says something like 'Artificial
Intelligence Associates', but I am informed that it has since been
takedn over by Epyx. I don't know the truth in this, so take it any way
you want to.

On the subject of hack - there is a public-domain version floating about
(which I got, deleted, and am trying to find again) in the wide world of
BBSs. If there is interest, and if I find it, I'll shar it and send a
msg. I don't know how good it is, but i DO know that it uses real men's
characters, not this character graphics s---.

Non-standard disclaimer - I have nothing to do with anything in this
message, even myself. If any of this is wrong (which wouldn't surprise
me in the least), flame to anyone but me.

Have fun! --Erik