[gnu.g++] PD C++ Libraries Wanted

amy@ntpal.UUCP (Dana Amy) (03/06/90)

We are currently considering several C++ compilers for purchase, and
one of the differences we have found is in the offering of an object
library.  We have run across two public domain object libraries for
C++ so far: Gnu's and NIH's.

I have the following questions:
   - What public domain C++ object libraries are out there?
   - What do these libraries contain (including Gnu's and NIH's)
        Is it mostly GUI type objects; database access type objects;
        generic data structures type objects; all of the previous?
   - I realize C++ is relatively new, and the object libraries are
     even newer.  Which libraries are you familiar with, and what is
     your opinion of them?

We are running on Sun Sparc and Sun 3 equipment with Sun OS 4.03.  Please
mail responses, and I'll summarize.

Thanks in advance!
--
Dana Amy                     |  "A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile
amy%ntpal@egsner.cirr.com    |  the moment a single man contemplates it,

tower@ai.mit.edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (03/07/90)

The GNU C++ libraries are not in the public domain, as that phrase is
understood by lawyers.  They are freely redistributable software
covered by the GNU General Public License (GPL).  The GPL is found in
a file named COPYING.

The GPL has certain restrictions that can make use of the GNU C++
libraries unattractice to certain commercial developers.  Please
review the GPL before using the GNU C++ libraries.

enjoy -len