[gnu.gcc] Need GNU C and C++ for Apollo

casey@CS.UCLA.EDU (10/02/88)

  We're doing some work with GNU C++ on a VAX 8250.  The VAX is a front
end to a Connection Machine from Thinking Machines Incorporated.  We're
using GNU C++ to develop a C++ programming environment for the Connection
Machine.  This work is being done under the auspices of a new Cognitive
Science program here at UCLA.

  Many of the researchers access the Connection Machine through a network
of Apollo workstations.  We'd like people to be able to do some of their
C++ development on the Apollos in order to decrease contention on the VAX.
Optimally we'd like to use the same version of C++ on the Apollos (i.e.
GNU C++).

  Currently we're running GNU C 1.27 and GNU C++ 1.27 (as I understand
it, I'm probably being redundant to give both versions since GNU C and GNU
C++ must be at the same version level - but what the hey, might as well
be complete).  The VAX is running Ultrix 2.2 (without any patches).  The
Apollos are running SR9.7 but will soon be upgraded to SR10.

  Does anyone know what the availability for GNU C and GNU C++ on Apollos
running SR10 is?  There's obviously mc68k support in both, but nothing is
ever that simple on the Apollo ...  Any information you can provide is
appreciated!!!

Casey

dclemans.falcon@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) (10/08/88)

The simplest way would be to purchase the C++ product from
Apollo (or from Glockenspiel; I think Apollo is currently just
reselling Glockenspiel's port?).  This would be a port of
AT&T's code (version 1.2).

The big problem with getting GNU CC/G++ on Apollo's & SR10
is that Apollo uses (a slightly extended) COFF format object
file, and GNU generates A.OUT format files.

dgc

tower@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (10/10/88)

    Date: Sun, 9 Oct 88 05:24:56 EDT
    From: rms@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)
    To: tower-prep@wheaties.ai.mit.edu
    Subject: [tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!dclemans.falcon@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:
    Re: Need GNU C and C++ for Apollo]

    Can you please post something on info-gcc reminding people not to advertise
    proprietary software there?

  Date: Fri, 16 Sep 88 11:26:01 EDT
  From: rms@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)
  To: info-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu
  Subject: Don't advertise it here

  Please don't use GNU mailing lists to discuss, advertise or ask about
  proprietary software.

  We set up this list for discussion of the GNU C++ compiler.  Using our
  list to promote unfree software is working directly to interfere with
  the GNU project--insulting, at the least.  So take those discussions
  someplace else.

thanx -len

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (10/12/88)

Dave Clemans (dclemans.falcon@mntgfx.mentor.com) writes:
> The simplest way would be to purchase the C++ product from Apollo (or
> from Glockenspiel; I think Apollo is currently just reselling
> Glockenspiel's port?).  This would be a port of AT&T's code (version 1.2).
>
> The big problem with getting GNU CC/G++ on Apollo's & SR10 is that Apollo
> uses (a slightly extended) COFF format object file, and GNU generates
> A.OUT format files.

  Yes, I've now heard about the BETA availability of an AT&T based C++
from Apollo and I've also heard about the problems porting GNU C++ to the
Apollo (from Michael Tiemann as a matter of fact).  The problem with the
C++ that Apollo is working with is that it's based on AT&T preprocessor.
That means it's going to be slow, incomplete, and expensive.  That isn't
a combination I relish.  I would much rather deal with a product that's
near the front line of C++ language development.

  Thanks for your note.  So far I have little to report officially.
We'll just have to see how a couple of my feelers pan out.

Casey

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille) (10/13/88)

In article <16710@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> casey@cs.ucla.edu.UUCP (Casey Leedom) writes:
>Dave Clemans (dclemans.falcon@mntgfx.mentor.com) writes:
>> The simplest way would be to purchase the C++ product from Apollo (or
>> from Glockenspiel; I think Apollo is currently just reselling
>> Glockenspiel's port?).  This would be a port of AT&T's code (version 1.2).
>>
>> The big problem with getting GNU CC/G++ on Apollo's & SR10 is that Apollo
>> uses (a slightly extended) COFF format object file, and GNU generates
>> A.OUT format files.
>
>  Yes, I've now heard about the BETA availability of an AT&T based C++

Has anyone just tried to port the GNU C++ preprocessor and plug it on the Apollo C ?
Or is GNU C++ a complete compiler ?
I'm also interested, if GNU C++ is a preprocessor, to ports to Cray Unicos.
Thank you,

Achille Petrilli, Cray & PWS operations