[gnu.gcc] GNU Licensing.

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (10/17/88)

In article <9@elgar.UUCP> ag@elgar.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>>       Rights.  Does the C environment use the GNU library?  If so,
>>       will all C programs linked with it be subject to the GNU
>>       licence agreement, which forces the author to provide source
>>       code?  Will NeXT purchasers be asked to sign any software
>>       licencing or nondisclosure agreements?

>This is a misconception.  The Gnu license is not transferred to code
>that is produced by the compiliers.  The libraries (when linked into
>runtime code) are also not subject to the licensing.

Ok, how about yacc output? I needed a yacc compiler for a program of mine
where I wanted to distribute yacc output in case the recipients didn't have
yacc. I thought that GNU yacc would be ideal, but when I checked it put an
obnoxious copyright notice on the output.

This really bummed me out. I really like the GNU concept, but I don't like
my rights to software being taken away by a compiler.

Has this changed? Will it ever change?

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Huh?                              {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean