[net.games.rogue] More

laman@ncr-sd.UUCP (Mike Laman) (10/18/85)

In article <308@ncr-sd.UUCP> I wrote:
>For the record, in rogue 5.3 it DOES make a difference if you are wearing
>one or two rings of searching (beside the obvious effect of using up
>more food).  If the player is wearing two rings of searching, a search
>routine is called twice -- once for each ring.  Otherwise I would agree
>with Herb about his statement "In fact, I think you can safely assume that
>a ring that can't be + or -  has no added effect when wearing more than one."
>The same should hold true for earlier versions, too.
>
>Herb did say "in most versions of rogue", so just consider this to be
>a little more detailed comment.

Sorry, Mike but you're wrong.
Opps, you're right.  Well, what can I say?
How about you're sorry?
Ok,  I'm sorry.  I answered before my brain was in full gear.
Fine, now tell them what you should have said the first time.
Yep, that's why I'm replying to myself.
[ I really need to stop arguing with myself.]
[ Oh, no you don't.  Sorry, but arguments are in the next cubical.  This one
 is for insults...   Twit.... ]

I should correct myself by saying that in rogue 5.3 two rings of slow digestion
have twice the effect of one.  As a matter of fact one ring causes you to eat
about half what is normally eaten, so two rings would (in the long run)
cause you to almost never be hungry.  Also wearing two rings of teleportation
will cause make one twice as likely to get teleported.  And two rings of
regeneration will make the player regenerate twice as fast.  Boy, was my
brain not functioning when I answered before.

In other words, of all the rings with no '+' and '-' attributes (10 in
rogue 5.3) only four of them have more effect if two of them are
worn instead of only one.  These rings are 1) slow digestion, 2) regeneration,
3) teleportation, and 4) searching.

Excuse me while I go hide in a dungeon for a while, wielding a cursed ring...

		Mike Laman
		UUCP: {ucbvax,philabs,sdcsla}!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!laman