[gnu.gcc] GCC 1.35 and X11

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/22/89)

A GCC comment/status report/mild endorsement, seen in another newsgroup:

   From: keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
   Date: 20 May 89 18:32:29 GMT

   The X server on the sun should build fine with GCC 1.35; rms gave me a
   preliminary version (1.34.92) to test before he shipped 1.35.  I compiled
   our entire core sources (R3++) -O -g -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return
   and it ran without trouble.  We are now regularly building the X server
   with GCC (as it nearly doubles the speed in monochrome) so you should
   expect fewer troubles with the next release of X (we just need to keep
   making sure it compiles with the sun compiler as well.  Sigh).

   You should probably not use -finline-functions; gcc has a funny idea
   of "reasonable" inlinable functions; the sample server uses enough macros
   where needed for performance to make the speedup from -finline-functions
   negligable, while the code bloat is quite amazing.

   Keith Packard
   MIT X Consortium