[gnu.gcc] copyleft

gjc@bu-cs.BU.EDU (George J. Carrette) (06/01/89)

The Bellcore, AT&T, IBM, and DEC people you are talking to are just
trying to scare you into not supporting free software.
How is it that other companies are using the software, e.g. INTEL?

Also, since GCC is distributed by DECUS I cannot see how DEC people
could avoid coming into contact with it.

The "contamination" argument is absurd, since there are not "trade-secret"
claims being made on GCC. Other than direct copying of code, which is
rather easy to control in a commercial environment, there is really
little danger to AT&T etc other than the danger of supporting the idea
of free software.

Fact: When you call the C++ people at ATT about the latest version they
      will suggest you get GCC++ for the time being.

-gjc

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (06/02/89)

In article <32085@bu-cs.BU.EDU> gjc@bu-cs.BU.EDU (George J. Carrette) writes:
>The Bellcore, AT&T, IBM, and DEC people you are talking to are just
>trying to scare you into not supporting free software.

Nonsense.  First, the people I am working with don't care one way or
the other --  some of them might even be interested in GNU software if
it wasn't for the terms of the copyleft.  The lawyers are just being
very conservative.  To their way of thinking (note that I'm not
expressing my own opinion here), the GNU project is being directed by
fanatics who MIGHT file a lawsuit over potential copyright violation
even if there was clearly no violation.  The simply want to avoid the
potential risk, especially of a politically-motivated harassment lawsuit.

Second, and this is something most people don't think about, GNU
software is not "free".  There is no money involved in getting it, but
it is proprietary software as long as there are restrictions placed on
its use and redistribution.  Calling it "Free" is an interesting use
of the language.

>How is it that other companies are using the software, e.g. INTEL?

Their lawyers may have told them not to sweat possible copyright
cases, or else they aren't using it in an arena where it makes a
difference (ie, software development labs), or (most probably) the
corporate legal staff doesn't know about it being used.

>Also, since GCC is distributed by DECUS I cannot see how DEC people
>could avoid coming into contact with it.

Lots of DEC people may come into contact with it.  The key is the
folks in R&D that those of us in university environments have to deal with.

>The "contamination" argument is absurd, since there are not "trade-secret"
>claims being made on GCC. Other than direct copying of code, which is
>rather easy to control in a commercial environment, there is really
>little danger to AT&T etc other than the danger of supporting the idea
>of free software.

I've served as an expert witness in copyright infringement cases; you
are mistaken.  As noted above, the lawyers are also worried about
harassment lawsuits.  Considering the actions taken with the Apple
boycott and some of the things said here and in other forums by people
associated with the FSF, perhaps that fear is somewhat justified.

>Fact: When you call the C++ people at ATT about the latest version they
>      will suggest you get GCC++ for the time being.

Depends on which people you call.

--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

gjc@bu-cs.BU.EDU (George J. Carrette) (06/02/89)

As an experienced hired-gun expert-witness in a lawsuit that makes
you a different kind of person for the lawyers to deal with. That changes
things a bit. You are not just a researcher with "clean-hands."

FSF doesnt have the revenue stream to file harassment lawsuits anyway.

-gjc

benson@odi.com (Benson Margulies) (06/02/89)

In article <32126@bu-cs.BU.EDU> gjc@bu-cs.BU.EDU (George J. Carrette) writes:

>FSF doesnt have the revenue stream to file harassment lawsuits anyway.

I must say that this is hardly a reassuring statement.  It would seem
to imply that the FSF would be quite content to file various lawsuits
if the cash was on hand.

I don't want to be involved in the generic pro/anti FSF dispute.  I'll
just report some facts I know. Lawsuits are expensive to defend.  They
scare away potential financing. The perception that the FSF might
mount a lawsuit has caused at least one company I was very involved
with to avoid extensive use of FSF materials.

If the FSF made some clear statements of policy in some areas, and
distributed them along with copyleft, it would help. Questions include:

1- If I find 200 lines of really useful code in some FSF item, and
include it in my 10,000 line (hiss) non-free product, does FSF claim
that I must distribute the source of all 10,000 lines?

2- If I include include files and link in object files from the g++
library, does FSF claim that I must distribute all of my source?

3- If I start with an FSF item, and add a large mound of additional
code to specialize it for use in a particular environment (which
environment is not freely available), does FSF claim that I must
distribute the code I added? The entire environment?  (e.g., porting
GCC to a new target, connecting gdb to a proprietary window system).

FSFers: I'm not arguing that you should answer these questions one way
or the other. It's your code, do what you want with it to advance your
goals. But a clear, official FSF position on this class of issue would
could only help, as it would limit the pessimistic defensiveness of
lawers.

Benson I. Margulies