[gnu.gcc] RMS vs Apple

wood%phws00.dnet@SMITHKLINE.COM (Bill Wood, SmithKline &French R&D 215-2705163) (06/04/89)

  >I think that the efforts of FSF would be best served by supporting the AUX
  >version of gcc.
  >
  >My reasoning is that e.g., a (good) C compiler on Apple would cost the
  >equivilent apple compiler a significant market share; this hits a
  >company like apple where it does the most -- in the wallet.

As I understand it rms is not trying to infiltrate Apple and thus cause
it to lose sales - this might make Apple more determined than ever to
restrict what software others can write!  RMS has taken a political stance
and is asking FSF software users to boycott Apple.

As rms says, Apple's lawsuit is threatening FSF's future ability to carry
out its charter.  I sympathize with Berry's feeling that he is being
unjustly attacked, he does just seem to be a poor hacker, but the issue
is larger than one of fairness to Berry.  RMS is right to do everything
he can to raise other's awareness about Apple, and to ask that people
not advertise Apple equipment on FSF mailing lists.

- Bill

wood@smithkline.com

"My company is not interested in my opinions anyway..."