[gnu.gcc] info-gcc is not a common carrier

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (05/31/89)

The GNU mailing lists are not an open forum for all purposes.  We set
them up to promote free software and that is all they should be used
for.  Any other advertisements of proprietary software, or activities
in support of monopolies on software, is also misuse of the list.  We
certainly would take steps to prevent persistent, deliberate misuse.

Whether we decide to permit hostile commercial activities to use our
mailing lists has nothing to do with freedom of speech.  Freedom of
speech means the freedom to address the public with the assistance of
such people as wish to help.  Apple can do this no matter what I say
or do.  They have the money to place ads in dozens of magazines every
week.

However, Apple's freedom of speech does not mean we are obligated to
republish whatever Apple wants to say.  FSF is not obligated to lend
its mailing lists to hostile purposes.  Likewise, Apple isn't
obligated by our freedom of speech to publish our criticism of Apple
in the publications they give their customers (and they surely would
not).

I am not considering adopting policies like those of Apple.  I don't
think we should block messages which merely criticize us, like Berry's
latest message.  I am considering blocking messages which actually try
to block our work, such as his previous message.

I haven't decided yet what to do.  My first attempt to fight back was
by reminding all of you of the harm that Apple was trying to do,
hoping that this would make up for whatever Apple gained by misusing
the list.  But if people did show Berry their hostility, they didn't
tell the list, and it didn't discourage him.  So I must now look for
a different way to fight back.

The decision may be affected by what you people think.  However, if
you wish to argue against monitoring, you should use arguments other
than "Apple's freedom of speech", since (as explained above) I think
that is not valid.

However, if you do disapprove of us for considering "censorship", I do
wish to hear from you.  Even though I think you are mistaken, I still
want to know how many of you there are.  Likewise, if you disapprove
more of Apple than you did two weeks ago, then I wish to hear from
you.

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (05/31/89)

I think that the efforts of FSF would be best served by supporting the AUX
version of gcc.

My reasoning is that e.g., a (good) C compiler on Apple would cost the
equivilent apple compiler a significant market share; this hits a
company like apple where it does the most -- in the wallet.

Similarly, any FSF sets of tools which replace commerical apple
functionality should be encouraged. Thus, using gcc to produce a good
version of the X server for an Apple would be inline with that.

However, this could make the apple more appealing to users; personally,
I doubt it, since it's very over-priced. People wouldn't be buying
an Apple because FSF tools worked on it, but they would use them & not
buy the equivilent Apple tools.
--
Dirk Grunwald
Univ. of Illinois

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (05/31/89)

In article <8905310246.AA00550@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu> rms@AI.MIT.EDU writes:

Bullshit.

>We set them up to promote free software and that is all they should be used
>for.  Any other advertisements of proprietary software, or activities
>in support of monopolies on software, is also misuse of the list.  We
>certainly would take steps to prevent persistent, deliberate misuse.

[... context removed in which it becomes clear that the author is
talking abuot info-gcc ]

First, financially I have as much right to use the info-gcc mailing
list as you do.  You simply don't have a leg to stand on, because you
have no right of ownership on the mailing list in question.

More to the point, if I post something to the netnews group gnu.gcc,
and it gets cross posted to info-gcc (which I am doing right now), it
is *your* fault, not mine.

>However, Apple's freedom of speech does not mean we are obligated to
>republish whatever Apple wants to say.

If you were a publishing agency in the first place, this argument
would have some merit.  Since you aren't, it doesn't, and the group's
interaction with public forums such as netnews renders the argument
largely vacuous, even if you were a private publishing agency.

My damn tax dollars payed for your machines at MIT.

> FSF is not obligated to lend its mailing lists to hostile purposes.

FSF doesn't own the mailing list.

>However, if you do disapprove of us for considering "censorship", I do
>wish to hear from you.  Even though I think you are mistaken, I still
>want to know how many of you there are.  Likewise, if you disapprove
>more of Apple than you did two weeks ago, then I wish to hear from
>you.

I submit that you are exercising the same sort of fascism that Apple
is.  It isn't helpful to Apple, to David Berry, or to FSF.

FSF gets a lot of rope on it's image as "the good guy" in this whole
mess.  This sort of crap, if it continues, may destroy that image, and
it is particularly dangerous now that the media has caught on to FSF.

Just think about it, and if you must make proprietary arguments about
FSF, ground them in fact instead of fantasy.  If you want to be
fascist, that's up to you, but don't be fascist about things that *my*
tax dollars are ultimately paying for.

Jon

schmidt@ics.uci.edu (Doug Schmidt) (05/31/89)

In article <GRUNWALD.89May31000443@flute.cs.uiuc.edu> grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
++ My reasoning is that e.g., a (good) C compiler on Apple would cost the
++ equivilent apple compiler a significant market share; this hits a
++ company like apple where it does the most -- in the wallet.

It is in the long-term interests of GNU to keep as far away from Apple
software/hardware development as possible.  If GNU software products
begin to seriously cut into Apple's bottom line guess who their
lawyers will come after next......?

Right.  You guessed it.

``GREEDY EVIL CHUCKLE'' indeed.

Shame on you, Dave Berry.

        Douglas C. Schmidt
--
On a clear day, under blue skies, there is no need to seek.
And asking about Buddha                +------------------------+

tiemann@YAHI.STANFORD.EDU (Michael Tiemann) (05/31/89)

It is naive, if not selfish, to believe that FSF can further its goals
by supporting, in any way, their software on machines built by
companies such as Apple.  The rationalizations given are shallow, and
are very much like the ones given as to why the U.S. should continue
to do business with South Africa: while we pour millions of dollars
into the pockets of Pretoria, buying diamonds or selling weapons for
the purposes of "maintaining influence", we enrich and reward the
perpetrators of evil, which only gives them more power to brutalize
and exploit the people we claim are being helped by our policies.

By supporting GCC on A/UX, we only empower the people who would seek
to destroy us.  There may be gains which can be seen by microscope,
but pull yourself away from the microscope!  If we sit there, trying
to determine if GCC on A/UX has cost Apple $1000 or $10,000 in lost
compiler revenue, they are building a legal jail around us.  If we
don't look up soon, they will complete that jail, free software will
be illegal, and years of hard work and all hopes that sparked it will
be locked up forever.  In the case of Apple, compromise carries a far
greater cost than any benefit it can deliver.

Michael

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (05/31/89)

Several people pointed out that AUX doesn't charge extra for compilers -- I
had assumed that they were like XENIX & some other UNIX machines where you
had to buy a ``software development'' package to get a compiler.

If it's not the case that FSF products compete directly with priced Apple
products, then no, little effort should be put into maintaining Apple
compatibility.

However, on the same foot, should IBM products be support? They've engaged in
dubious pricing practices in the past, although that's largely behind them now.
And DEC has been suing anyone who builds BI-bus hardware and third-party disk
and memory makers. What's the criteria to be used.

--
Dirk Grunwald
Univ. of Illinois

pierson@xenna (Dan Pierson) (05/31/89)

In article <8905310246.AA00550@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu>, rms@AI writes:
>However, if you do disapprove of us for considering "censorship", I do
>wish to hear from you.  Even though I think you are mistaken, I still
>want to know how many of you there are.  Likewise, if you disapprove
>more of Apple than you did two weeks ago, then I wish to hear from
>you.

I strongly disapprove of look-and-feel copyright claims and lawsuits.
Partly because of this my next personal machine will not be a Mac and
I will buy no Apple, Lotus, or Ashton-Tate products as long as these
companies engage in look-and-feel suits.

I realize that use of gnu.* newsgroups (and hence info-gnu* mailing
lists) to promote uses and ports of FSF software that you disapprove
of must be extremely distasteful to you.  However, I also feel that
your threatened actions look, feel, and smell like censorship.  Such
actions will significantly lower my (and, I believe, other's) opinion
of FSF.  The ends do not justify the means.
--
                                            dan

In real life: Dan Pierson, Encore Computer Corporation, Research
UUCP: {talcott,linus,necis,decvax}!encore!pierson
Internet: pierson@encore.com

I'm curious.  Is anyone who posts from a company site assumed to be
posting their message:

  (1) with the official sanction of the company,
  (2) to help the company,
  (3) and as a representative of the company?

+---------------------------+------------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |
+---------------------------+------------------------+

stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender) (06/01/89)

I agree that Apple's attempt to legitimize "look and feel" as a
basis for copyright infringement is self-serving and if
successful would stifle much of the software industry, as well as
the FSF.

However, I think you are getting overly upset about Berry's port
of GCC to A/UX, and that you are unfairly trying to make Berry
take the heat for a corporate decision that he did not make.

In particular, you seem to think that you can stifle porting of
GNU software to A/UX.  The cat's out of the bag, so to speak.
There are too many ways to get GNU software for free, and your
redistribution policies are explicitly designed to prevent
limited distribution and use of GNU software.

You have chosen not to support porting of GNU software to Apple
hardware, but there is also little you can do to prevent other
people from doing the support themselves.  The most you can do is
to complain about Apple's policies and urge people to boycott
Apple.  I suppose you could also change your licensing policies
to prohibit distribution of GNU software to Apple products and
take legal action against violators of the modified license, but
that seems almost as insane as the Apple action itself.

You also seem to confuse Berry's speech and actions with Apple's
speech and actions.  It seems that one of the best ways to
prevent Apple from going through with their lawsuit would be to
convince Apple employees of the folly of this lawsuit by
demonstrating the advantages of free software and of the
silliness of "look and feel" quibbles.  You may continue to deny
official support of Apple products, but to heap criticism on
Apple employees who recognize the value of free software and who
would be more likely to criticize Apple's efforts to restrict it
seems counterproductive.  Apple is not an organization of
faceless clones, and I think you should recognize that its
individual employees need not support all the goals of their
organization and can be an effective force for change.

Obviously, there is a conflict with the ideal of completely free
software in a world where people may take advantage of it by
using it to enhance their own profits.  It's also possible that
David Berry is supporting Apple by his actions, maybe not even
unwittingly.  However, I think you're trying to fight back
against the wrong person.  You really should be going after
Apple's corporate leadership, the people responsible for their
"look and feel" lawsuit in the first place.  You want to penalize
Apple employees and owners of Apple equipment, but they are not
necessarily all people who support the Apple lawsuit.  You should
work against only the people who actually do support the lawsuit,
and not a stereotyped group that you _think_ all support the
lawsuit.

Continue to boycott Apple in your organization, and continue to
urge others to do so as well.  However, I'm concerned that the
means that you may use to fight Apple beyond those could
compromise the ideals of your organization and damage it as much
as the Apple lawsuit could.
--
Steve VanDevender 	stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.

brooks@vette.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (06/01/89)

In article <8905310246.AA00550@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu> rms@AI.MIT.EDU writes:
>The GNU mailing lists are not an open forum for all purposes.  We set
>them up to promote free software and that is all they should be used
>for.  Any other advertisements of proprietary software, or activities
>in support of monopolies on software, is also misuse of the list.  We
>certainly would take steps to prevent persistent, deliberate misuse.

Dammit, I have had it with this political crap on the info-gcc list.
I suggest the following.  If anyone decides that a specific message
which appears on the list is not desired, that he quietly RETURN
said message to the sender instead of adding another message to the
list to further increase the political load on the list.  If a message
on the list is truely undesired by a large number of people then I
presume the thousands of bounced messages filling up the senders mailbox
will make the point.  I am not suggesting any sort of unreasonable harassing
or censorship, simply that unwanted messages be returned to the sender by
the entire population of people who get them and do not want them.

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp

mac@mrk.ardent.com (Michael McNamara) (06/01/89)

	I believe that gcc on the apple products is a valid way to
show apple the errors of their ways. (or at least show apples
customers...)

	I recall an interview with sun compiler people who were
getting quite discouraged that their compiler group, with all sorts
of wonderful credentials (ex Cray Research people, for example)
could not build a compiler that would generate code for their own
proprietary machine even nearly as good as that a free compiler (gcc)
could.  They dispaired of keeping up with gcc.

	Apple could also be put to shame in this manner. Consider the
fictional situation: Version 8.0 of the Mac OS is too large for the
Apple native C compiler to handle.  Hence they use a cross compiler on
their mainframe. The created MacOs object seriously impair's the Mac's
run time performance do to poor code quality in the cross compiled
object.  At the same time, gcc as ported to the Mac handles the code
easily, and generates an object half the size with much better code
quality and runtime performance.

	It will take time, but slowly the companies management will
discover that the goose that lays the golden egg (gcc) the only c
compiler that they can use to release their software, is also the one
objecting to the compaines fasicst copyright lawsuits....

	Now I personally think gcc is a wonderful concept.  There are
thousands of competant programmers out their quite willing to spend a
few hours making their own life easier. Gcc provides a forum for these
programmers to improve not just their own world, but also many others,
via sharing their efforts on gcc.

	Re Mr. Berry's annoucement of distribution availability of gcc
ported to A/UX:

	Persons holding to strong Principles are judged by how
strongly the adhere to their announced Principles.  The more divergent
those Principles are from those of the main stream, the more harshly
the world will judge those who claim those Principles, yet diverge
from them.

	RMS has started a mini-revolution in software creation and
shareing. Evidenced by the popular support to the recent protest at
Lotus, this revolution is gaining momentum. The basic tenant of the
FSF seems to me to be the joint creation and shareing of quality
software for execution on all computers.  As this is a radical
concept, albeit one that is rapidly gaining support,
(dist-18.54/etc/MACHINES is over 500 lines long) there will certainly
be some malcontent companies, who will buck the trend.

	Certainly Berry will find a distribution channel for his free
software to current owners & users of the macintosh. Good quality free
software finds it's way to users, especialy software derived from the
FSF.
	Would it not perhaps be better to use this distribution of
free software as a vector to carry the Manifesto to those souls who
while currently using (the devils tools...:-) may be poor naive
peasents, that only need to be shown the way to the great true guiding
light of the FSF?

	Remember: a company is completely at the mercy of only one
Person: The Customer.  If the Customer says no, the company files
chapter 11.  Your message should be directed to the current customers
of apple.

_________________
Michael McNamara
  mac@ardent.com

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (06/01/89)

>However, if you do disapprove of us for considering "censorship", I do
>wish to hear from you.

I'm seeing this information via the GNU Usenet groups.  There may be a
cultural difference between mailing lists and newsgroups.  There have
always been a number of limited-membership mailing lists.  I can think
of reasons to challenge the propriety of such things, but in practice
mailing lists are easy enough to create in private that any
regulations involving them are probably unenforcable.  Usenet is
however a more public activity, and tends to have a few standards.
One of them is not appropriate to discriminate against particular
authors or messages based on religious, political, or other views.  In
my opinion, newsgroups that discriminate against certain postings
because they describe actions of which the moderator disapproves would
be a violation of this tradition.  There are also possible questions
about use of University, State, and Federal resources -- and
certainly such resources are being used in propagating newsgroups.  I
think the GNU project is justified in limiting use of its mailing list
as it likes.  However I would have qualms about continued access to
Usenet for these groups if there is any control on the basis of the
authors' politics.

Charles Hedrick
Associate Director
Center for Computer and Information Services
Rutgers University

bob@monster.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (06/01/89)

In article <May.31.19.04.58.1989.5106@geneva.rutgers.edu> hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
   I'm seeing this information via the GNU Usenet groups.  There may
   be a cultural difference between mailing lists and newsgroups.
   ...I think the GNU project is justified in limiting use of its
   mailing list as it likes.  However I would have qualms about
   continued access to Usenet for these groups if there is any control
   on the basis of the authors' politics.

The gnu.* news distribution is not a part of Usenet - it only uses the
same transport mechanisms.  Sites that receive it do so because they
specifically asked for it, in the grand tradition of "you want it, you
arrange to get it".  That's why every article that's gatewayed from
the mailing lists carries the header "Organization: GNU's Not Usenet"
as a reminder.  GNU is its own alternative news heirarchy, not subject
to the same conventions as the Usenet in the same way that bionet or
alt aren't subject to the same conventions.

gnu.* was created last May 1 to provide freer, lower-overhead access
to the technical discussion forums sponsored by the Free Software
Foundation, and in this sense it succeeded wildly.  The monthly
propagation statistics show that over two thirds of the gnu.*
newsgroups are available on over two thirds of the machines that also
carry Usenet.  Many individuals and organizations have unsubscribed
from the mailing lists because of the increased convenience and
reduced system load of propagating and reading gnu.* via the news
mechanisms rather than via the mail mechanisms.

While disagreements occasionally happened on the mailing lists, it was
much more apparent to the participants that the lists were part of
someone else's facility, and others were taking advantage of their
hospitality.  The newsgroups, however, loose people from those roots,
and they feel much freer to abuse the medium - even so far as to
maintain that FSF has no claim to the newsgroups or word to say about
their intended content.  This was certainly not the intent when they
were created, and is still not the case.

It's a cultural misunderstanding, accentuated by the characters of the
two media: public vs private.  The problem is, the two cultures aren't
mixing well because some folks came in late and don't understand the
arrangement.

Please, folks, remember that the gnu.* newsgroups are really just a
cheaper way to transport, and an easier way to read FSF's mailing
lists.  They exist for the same purpose as the lists, because they are
essentially the same thing as the lists except for the transport
mechanism.  They aren't the same as the other newsgroups; they just
look that way from where you'e sitting.  FSF has every right to
restrict the distribution of (what used to be) their own, internal,
private developers' mailing lists.  Please don't force them to
exercise that prerogative!  It would be a real shame to declare gnu.*
a failed experiment after 13 months of such apparent success, and
dismantle the apparatus.

Please keep gnu.gcc/info-gcc focused on the technical issues of the
compiler; and similarly with the other newsgroups and mailing lists.

rajeevc@mipos2.intel.com (rajeev chandrasekhar~) (06/01/89)

In article <9599@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
>In article <8905310246.AA00550@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu> rms@AI.MIT.EDU writes:
>
>Bullshit.
>

>First, financially I have as much right to use the info-gcc mailing
>list as you do.  You simply don't have a leg to stand on, because you
>have no right of ownership on the mailing list in question.
>If you were a publishing agency in the first place, this argument
>would have some merit.  Since you aren't, it doesn't, and the group's
>interaction with public forums such as netnews renders the argument
>largely vacuous, even if you were a private publishing agency.
>
>My damn tax dollars payed for your machines at MIT.

Bullshit...

>FSF doesn't own the mailing list.
>I submit that you are exercising the same sort of fascism that Apple
>is.  It isn't helpful to Apple, to David Berry, or to FSF.

>FSF gets a lot of rope on it's image as "the good guy" in this whole
>mess.  This sort of crap, if it continues, may destroy that image, and
>it is particularly dangerous now that the media has caught on to FSF.
>Jon

I agree with some of the things you say like Berry should be allowed
to say his piece etc.. but i think you fool yourself if you think
you had anything ( "your damn tax dollars" or not...) to do with the achievements
of the FSF... or that you can in some misguided fantasy-trip of yours
take some of the credit...No way, Pal....

As far as I am concerned FSF is still the "good guy" in
this fight .. ( note that I call it a fight , you call it
a mess :-) ) and the way I see it its a fight between two
philosophies and not Berry vs FSF or Jon"Taxpaying"Shapiro and me etc...

Rajeev

Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Intel Corp            >> theres someone in my head, and its not me <<
2625, Walsh Ave MS SC4-59                      (408) 765-4632
Santa Clara, CA 95051  {hplabs,oliveb}!intelca!mipos2!rajeevc

bob+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bob Sidebotham) (06/01/89)

> Excerpts from ext.nn.gnu.gcc: 31-May-89 info-gcc is not a common ca..
> Michael Tiemann@YAHI.STA (1216)

> It is naive, if not selfish, to believe that FSF can further its goals
> by supporting, in any way, their software on machines built by
> companies such as Apple.  The rationalizations given are shallow, and
> are very much like the ones given as to why the U.S. should continue
> to do business with South Africa: while we pour millions of dollars
> into the pockets of Pretoria, buying diamonds or selling weapons for
> the purposes of "maintaining influence", we enrich and reward the
> perpetrators of evil, which only gives them more power to brutalize
> and exploit the people we claim are being helped by our policies.

This is getting ridiculous.  Apple is not a racist government grinding
the majority black population into the dirt; it does not practice
torture--it's simply a company that has made a tremendous success of
some very innovative software, trying to keep one step ahead, by methods
which may be offensive to some.  But I, for one, will be not be happy if
Apple goes under.  My wife--who is not a computer hacker--uses an Apple
computer for her very small desktop publishing business.  We appreciate
that the Macintosh has provided her with a wonderful environment for
doing this work, and that the work she does benefits our community (she
does break-even work for a number of community organizations).

RMS's work is valuable--but it doesn't replace the immense amount of
work Apple and various other companies (such as Letraset, Adboe,
Borland) have put into providing an integrated environment that my wife
can use (she doesn't want or need Unix--or Gcc, for that matter).

If Apple is the enemy of anything, it's the enemy of unimaginative
software.  It's the enemy of DOS commands and Unix shell's, and line
editors, and, ...  The world is undeniably better off since Apple's
introduction of the Mac in 1984.  For this *I* am, at least a little
bit, grateful.

Bob Sidebotham

lewie@pur-ee.UUCP (Jeff Lewis) (06/02/89)

> As far as I am concerned FSF is still the "good guy" in
> this fight .. ( note that I call it a fight , you call it
> a mess :-) ) and the way I see it its a fight between two
> philosophies and not Berry vs FSF or Jon"Taxpaying"Shapiro and me etc...

Well, for what it's worth:  I think there's more to it than just two
opposing philosophies.  In fact, I would guess that the majority of people
hold views that differ from both Apple's corporate philosophy and Richard
Stallman's philosophy.  The way it looks from here is that most people
either don't care, or are caught in a bind by the political aggrandizing
of both Apple and RMS.

Just something to think about:

If the purpose of the GNU project is as a political weapon, then its software
ceases to be what it claims to be - free.

--
Jeff Lewis (lewie@ee.ecn.purdue.edu)
Purdue University Robot Vision Lab

nate@hobbes.intel.com (Nate Hess) (06/02/89)

In article <7405@xenna.Encore.COM>, pierson@xenna (Dan Pierson) writes:
>I strongly disapprove of look-and-feel copyright claims and lawsuits.
>Partly because of this my next personal machine will not be a Mac and
>I will buy no Apple, Lotus, or Ashton-Tate products as long as these
>companies engage in look-and-feel suits.

Could someone post (or email me) a complete list of Apple, Lotus, and
Ashton-Tate products?

Thanks,
--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@hobbes.intel.com   ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!nate

In article <3224@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx (Usenet file owner) writes:
>I'm curious.  Is anyone who posts from a company site assumed to be
>posting their message:

>  (1) with the official sanction of the company,
>  (2) to help the company,
>  (3) and as a representative of the company?

Actually, according to the newusers docs, the exact opposite is true;
unless you state otherwise, you are only speaking for yourself.

--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@hobbes.intel.com   ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!nate

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (06/03/89)

My feelings on this are simple. I do not believe announcing a freely
available port to a given workstation environment (A/UX) is either
"hostile commercial activity" or "in support of monopolies on software",
simply because the work was done by an Apple employee. In fact, showing
him hostility seems counter-productive to the goal of encouraging
free software. Remember that ALL computers and operating systems are
are "proprietary platforms". UNIX's "portability" is a myth that ranks
right up there with Apple's "user-friendliness".

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
University of Colorado
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)492-8136 or 444-3168

rfg@MCC.COM (Ron Guilmette) (06/04/89)

Recently, Michael Tiemann wrote:

> If we sit there, trying
> to determine if GCC on A/UX has cost Apple $1000 or $10,000 in lost
> compiler revenue, they are building a legal jail around us.  If we
> don't look up soon, they will complete that jail, free software will
> be illegal, and years of hard work and all hopes that sparked it will
> be locked up forever.

Michael makes the point quite vividly.  I'm sure that (almost) everyone
reading these postings agrees that it would be a horrible outcome if
free software became illegal.

The current brouhaha about the A/UX port of GCC (and the postings
regarding same) have raised a (legitimate) question about the tactics
used to fight against such an outcome.  Since the subject has already
been breached, I would like to interject some related (but different
and perhaps even new) questions about tactics.

First, I'd like to know if all this fuss is really even warranted?

Isn't it possible that Apple, Lotus, and Ashton-tate will simply
lose their respective "look-and-feel" suits (and thus have to bear
at least their own court costs and lawyer's fees, and maybe even
those of the defendants)?  Wouldn't this alone be the best and most
powerful dis-incentive for anybody trying this kind of a suit again?
After all, if you've got precedent going against you, and if you may
have to pay for the trouble you stir up (out of your own corporate
pocket) you'll probably think twice before knocking over that beehive
just to get a shot at the honey.

If all three of these companies were to lose their suits, I think that
"look-and-feel" would quickly begin to fade from our collective memories.
After a year or two, it would simply be remembered as a bad joke.

So perhaps FSF should be asking for donations for the "defense legal fund"
which would be given to the defendants in these cases so that they could
afford to hire the *best* lawyers (and more of them).

Beyond this (perhaps crazy) suggestion, there is the larger question of
how to permanently insure (regardless of the outcome of the current suits)
that such suits are never brought again against anybody.  This is the "war"
of which the current fights against Apple, Lotus, and Ashton-Tate are only
minor "battles".

How can we win the war?  Is new legislation needed?  If so, would it
necessarily be at the federal level (I guess).  How could we get the ball
rolling for such legislation?  I am very naive about such things.  rms?
Care to respond?

// Ron Guilmette  -  MCC  -  Experimental Systems Kit Project
// 3500 West Balcones Center Drive,  Austin, TX  78759  -  (512)338-3740
// ARPA: rfg@mcc.com
// UUCP: {rutgers,uunet,gatech,ames,pyramid}!cs.utexas.edu!pp!rfg

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (06/05/89)

>However, on the same foot, should IBM products be support? They've engaged in
>dubious pricing practices in the past, although that's largely behind them now.
>And DEC has been suing anyone who builds BI-bus hardware and third-party disk
>and memory makers. What's the criteria to be used.

This is what concerns me.  It seems to be a personal decision by RMS.
Who wants to support FSF when they might quit supporting your machine
at any time?  ALL companies have done things that are contrary to the
goals of FSF.

Don't ruin FSF in the process of trying to save it.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			sharkey!b-tech!zeeff

rbj@DSYS.NCSL.NIST.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (06/06/89)

? From: rms@ai.mit.edu

? them up to promote free software and that is all they should be used
? for.  Any other advertisements of proprietary software, or activities
? in support of monopolies on software, is also misuse of the list.  We
? certainly would take steps to prevent persistent, deliberate misuse.

Agreed. This newgroup/mailing list exists for a specific purpose. Like
all other distributions, people may only post material relevant to
the subject matter. Some groups are moderated to ensure this purpose.

However, in practice, the discussion in unmoderated groups tends to
wander off the mark a bit. When the discussion wanders too far, usually
people will start taking steps to bring the discussion back on track.

This can be thought of as A Good Thing. It is easy to delete articles
that are not of interest, and the static categorys don't always match
the dynamic shift in topics.

? Whether we decide to permit hostile commercial activities to use our
? mailing lists has nothing to do with freedom of speech.  Freedom of
? speech means the freedom to address the public with the assistance of
? such people as wish to help.  Apple can do this no matter what I say
? or do.  They have the money to place ads in dozens of magazines every
? week.

Also agreed. Corporate products should be advertised by paying for it.

? However, Apple's freedom of speech does not mean we are obligated to
? republish whatever Apple wants to say.  FSF is not obligated to lend
? its mailing lists to hostile purposes.  Likewise, Apple isn't
? obligated by our freedom of speech to publish our criticism of Apple
? in the publications they give their customers (and they surely would
? not).

However, like all areas, this one has started to become grey. We must
make a distinction between Apple the corporation, and employees of
Apple. If an Apple employee wants to hack GCC or any other GNUware
to run on his box, he should be free to do do. He should also be
free to post the fact that he did, announce the availability in
this newsgroup, along with info on where to get it, *as long as
he obeys the GNU distribution license*.

He should expect no help from us; we have decided not to support
it for the reasons RMS has stated. Yet, we should not seriously
hamper non-commercial efforts even tho they may be related to
a product we consider ungroovy.

Note that I don't even care whether he did it on his own time or
whether Apple paid for it. In some respects, the latter is preferable.

? I am not considering adopting policies like those of Apple.  I don't
? think we should block messages which merely criticize us, like Berry's
? latest message.  I am considering blocking messages which actually try
? to block our work, such as his previous message.

This is laudable. We are not perfect, and we must take our lumps.
Constructive criticism is welcome. But it must not cross the line
where it degenerates into name-calling or becomes destructive.

? I haven't decided yet what to do.  My first attempt to fight back was
? by reminding all of you of the harm that Apple was trying to do,
? hoping that this would make up for whatever Apple gained by misusing
? the list.  But if people did show Berry their hostility, they didn't
? tell the list, and it didn't discourage him.  So I must now look for
? a different way to fight back.

Well, maybe. Perhaps the list *should* temporarily or permanently
be moderated. You must weigh the advantages against the time and
effort required to do so.

? The decision may be affected by what you people think.  However, if
? you wish to argue against monitoring, you should use arguments other
? than "Apple's freedom of speech", since (as explained above) I think
? that is not valid.

Agreed. However, a key phrase in that last paragraph is `what people
think.' We are getting dangerously close to pissing off some of our
best champions. Gene Spafford has done a great service by using GCC
to compile his Purdue speedups in X. Probably shaken out a few bugs
too.

One of his stated concerns is that he may have to give away code he
ran thru your compiler, of if he used your librarys. I am confused as
to whether this is truly a requirement. If it is, I am against it
because I am against corporations placing restrictions on code
compiled with their compiler or linked with their librarys.
Fortunately, AT&T has allowed the use of their binary library code. I
urge you to do the same, perhaps with the restriction that if library
routines are used, that the entire library and the compiler must be
provided in source form.

Other than that, I see the code as a completely separate work, with
the author free to place his own restrictions on it. That way, the
compiler, librarys, and philosophy will be propagated, and will
reach new people, who may jump on the bandwagon.

? However, if you do disapprove of us for considering "censorship", I do
? wish to hear from you.  Even though I think you are mistaken, I still
? want to know how many of you there are.  Likewise, if you disapprove
? more of Apple than you did two weeks ago, then I wish to hear from
? you.

By now, I have seen so many flames I have lost track of the original
postings and responses. I can only offer one piece of advice: don't
descend to their level. You (RMS) must be seen to be above it. Your
greatest strength is the fact that you are a wizard hacker, and the
purity of your position. You may call for boycotts, but you must
not let yourself be goaded into actions that will make you look petty.

You have set the ground rules for your cornor of the universe. Other
people have set their own, more restrictive rules. You are offering us
the chance to play a game with different and better rules. For that,
we love and admire you.

Please do not succumb to paranoia. I can see little that people can
do to actively impede our work. A commercial posting here, a flame
there, do not really matter all that much. All that is required is
a gentle reminder that certain actions are inappropriate. Don't spend
too much time defending your position, it takes away from your work.

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?

lance@kodak.UUCP (Dan Lance) (06/07/89)

In article <9170@boulder.Colorado.EDU> fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) writes:
>My feelings on this are simple. I do not believe announcing a freely
>available port to a given workstation environment (A/UX) is either
>"hostile commercial activity" or "in support of monopolies on software",
>simply because the work was done by an Apple employee.

This is probably true enough.

>In fact, showing
>him hostility seems counter-productive to the goal of encouraging
>free software.

It certainly hurts Mac II users.  That's the whole point -- Apple conducts
business in an anti-social manner.  Its customers (and developers) *should*
be excluded from the free software community.  If those people want to
participate in the GNU project, they should vote with their wallets or
feet and buy from or work for other vendors who do business in a more
acceptable manner.

Of course, no one can prevent ports of GNU software to Apple platforms;
however, RMS is well within his rights in excluding Apple products from the
list of offically supported platforms, and refusing to put Apple support
code in his distributions.  More power to him.

>Remember that ALL computers and operating systems are
>are "proprietary platforms".

Bull-hockey.  Nowhere does the law say that a computer's architecture or OS
must be a proprietary product.  Most of today's available machines and OSes
are proprietary.  GNU will not be, and I hope someone will design a machine
using off-the-shelf parts and industry standards to run it -- and then
license the plans using a GNU-like license.  That way people can buy the
parts and build it themselves, making changes to the hardware if they so
desire.

>UNIX's "portability" is a myth that ranks
>right up there with Apple's "user-friendliness".

More bull-hockey.  Why can't you run VMS or VM/CMS or the Mac OS on your
Prime or Sequent or Cray?  Simple.  They were written for one architecture
and can't be ported without a complete rewrite.  It is much easier, though
not trivial, to port Un*x to a new architecture.

>Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
>University of Colorado
>fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)492-8136 or 444-3168

--drl
Daniel R. Lance / drl@kodak.com				"Stupidity cripples"