[gnu.gcc] FSF Hypocrisy

dwb@sticks.aux.apple.com (David W. Berry) (05/31/89)

	It has now been slightly over a week since I made my original
posting noting that GCC Version 1.35 for A/UX was available for anonymous
ftp from apple.com.

	The work necessary to port GCC was done on my own time, at
my own expense, (and the request of Hugh Daniel, John Gilmore, and
The Grasshopper Group) because collectively we felt that A/UX needed
a better compiler and the most effective way of achieving that was
to port gcc.  Subsequently, the changes were made available via
anonymous ftp so that the work I performed, and for which I received
no compensation, could benefit others.

	In the intervening week I have received mail from Len Tower
observing that no postings advertising products for the great demon
Apple were acceptable in this newsgroup which is the private property
of the Free Software Foundation and the GNU project.  It went on to
state that if I didn't voluntarily refrain from further such postings
that measures would be taken to prevent me from making further postings.

	At the same time, there was a posting by Richard Stallman
turning my simple effort to assist those around me, into a political
action.  I was accused of "gloating... because he turned the GNU project's
own mailing list toward the end of prohibiting free software."  And
you were urged "don't cooperate with Apple's use of GCC."  Cooperate
with it or not, Apple doesn't currently use and to the best of my
knowledge, has no intentions of using gcc.

	My original posting was very intentionally nonpolitical, because
my goals in porting and providing support for various GNU products
is that I wish to use them for my own personal development, and was hoping
to avoid all other issues.

	Richard, Leonard, and the rest of the Free Software Foundation,
claim to stand for free rights to software for all individuals.  I
believe it is well within their right of free speech to urge you
to boycott Apple and with their rights to boycott Apple themselves.

	It's a crying shame that they can't see the hypocrisy involved
choosing to deny me my right to free speech in a publicly accessible
and publicly supported forum.  Whether they like it or not gnu.gcc
is not the private property of the FSF, but is a public forum which
I choose to use to notify other users of A/UX and Gnu products of
new ports.  Remember that FSF bears NONE OF THE COST OF DISTRIBUTING
either the gnu.gcc news group, mailing list or any of the other news
groups.  The extent of their support is in answering questions posted
to the group and in maintaining the mailing list assosciated with gnu.gcc.
All other expenses (ie., the phone charges that perform all of the
distribution) are carried by other individuals and corporations.

	Given the current censorship threats on the part of the Free
Software Foundation I can but hope you see this message.

	David
Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry		(A/UX Toolbox Engineer)
dwb@apple.com		973-5168@408.MaBell		AppleLink: berry1

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (05/31/89)

Its amazing how political space is curved.  Go too far in any one
direction and you meet the people that started off in the other
direction.

Its fairly clear (at least to me) that Apple as a corporation, needs a
proctal exam (in a big way).  Look and feel.  Gimme a #$%&ing break.
(I was about to buy a poor man's Sun, the Mac II, but didn't because
of this BS.)

Its a crying shame that this free bit of porting work, done in the
spirit of sharing software of has drawn so much FSF fire.  What is
FSF's purpose if not to promote the FREE EXCHANGE OF SOFTWARE!

Lets not lose sight of principles to win the war!

-wolfgang

Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
TEL: (703) 768-2640	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (05/31/89)

fsf's hypocrisy is plain to see, thanks for speaking out.

wouldn't it be great if we could use fsf stuff without having to deal
with fsf politics?

	peter

quiroz@cs.rochester.edu (Cesar Quiroz) (05/31/89)

I think the guys who ported GCC to A/UX should be allowed (indeed,
who will forbid them with good authority?) to post about the
availability of their porting.  Especially if their porting efforts
are made free.  Let's keep the discussion here (or around here, in
the gnu hierarchy anyway), because it is critical to the gnu effort.

Having disclaimed that I sustain their right to participate in this
groups, I take immediate advantage to attack this naive view (and
hope we can discuss it here, where I think it belongs):

In <2129@internal.Apple.COM>, dwb@sticks.aux.apple.com (David W. Berry) wrote:
| ... My original posting was very intentionally nonpolitical, because
| my goals in porting and providing support for various GNU products
| is that I wish to use them for my own personal development, and was hoping
| to avoid all other issues. ...

Two things.  You didn't keep it to yourself, and your position in
Apple makes it absolutely unnecessary for the readers of your
message to be concerned with your condition as an individual
developer.  You are justly perceived as an A/UX Engineer, and this
appearance makes the alert reader analyze your messages from quite a
different perspective, as below.

Second, it is more precise to say that you hoped your posting would
be seen as nonpolitical.  Regrettably, your *actions* have a clear
political value, whether you want it or not.  For instance, what
effect will a better compiler have on A/UX?  I see it as an effort
to make A/UX more viable, independently of the nice side effect of
making your (and many others') personal development more pleasant.
Ergo, GCC could make more profits for Apple, profits which can be
expected to be turned (given Apple's current position) against some
basic rights.  Given the choice of keeping the privilege to pay for
A/UX and lose the free FSF software, or let A/UX die of neglect and
keep FSF around, I will take the second any day.  I just hope (for
the sake of the many good people working at Apple) that there is no
need to choose.  Apple is not making that hope any easier, by the
way, but this could change quite easily.

I won't buy a Mac until I know it is safe to do so...

--
                                      Cesar Augusto Quiroz Gonzalez
                                      Department of Computer Science

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (05/31/89)

In general I support Richard's views about Apple's legal stance,
though I am of the opinion that the most effective way to convince
them is to make it profitless for them to compete with GNU, which
means supporting GNU on their system.

Be that as it may, Mr. Berry has a very strong point.  It is entirely
inappropriate for FSF or the posters to these groups to take the de
facto view that free speech should somehow not be applicable to Apple.
This is in essence morally equivalent to the stance that Apple has
taken in the lawsuit, which strikes me as a bitter irony.

David Berry has made it possible for many of us who have watched and
suffered in frustration to make use of Richard's excellent work.  Many
of us purchased Macintosh II's not because we wished to develop for
Apple, but because they were the cheapest reasonable UNIX platform in
sight from which to develop for *other* machines.  If I had it to do
over again now, I wouldn't buy the Apple product, both because of
their legal views and because their support policies for end users
suck [and they don't supply free vaseline, either].  If I could
financially justify dumping the machine I would, but I can't.

This leaves me in the awkward position of being left out in the cold
by the GNU project because of a mistake I can't afford to rectify.

Richard will respond, in essence, "Tough luck", and that response is
justifiable.

The gnu newsgroups however, are in the public domain, and it is not
appropriate for us to seek to limit the legitemate expressions of it's
users, even if we disagree with their views.  Such censorship stands
in opposition to everything that FSF stands for.

So express your disappointment with Apple and your disagreement with
those who are supporting them.  But don't threaten those who disagree
with you - unless, of course, you think it is okay for them to
threaten you...

Jon

gjc@bu-cs.BU.EDU (George J. Carrette) (05/31/89)

I'm sick of seeing clap-trap about "fsf hypocrisy," when FSF has a well
developed and consistent political philosphy. Granted, not *all* of its
representatives are astute enough to carefully describe all the implications.

 "Wouldn't it be great if we could use the fsf stuff without having to deal
  with fsf politics"

Ha, ha, ha! The fool who thinks this is not thinking in real-world terms.

By the way, in reply to RMS's concern about lack of response to Apple's folly,
don't worry, AUX is a dead issue. No rational buyer would purchase a machine
to run AUX on over a Sparcstation or other similar options. So why worry about
it?

-gjc

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (06/01/89)

Here's another non-technical posting.  If there was a gnu.discuss
or something similar, I'd use it.  Until then, this follows a

In article <1107@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
>wouldn't it be great if we could use fsf stuff without having to deal
>with fsf politics?

He got some posted abuse for that.  However, his point bears some
further discussion, or at least thought.

Right now, it looks like a number of researchers I know, including a
few here, are going to have to try to get financing to build a TRUE
PUBLIC DOMAIN C compiler.  We can't use gcc for our research.  Let me
explain.

Like most researchers, I don't want to spend a lot of time building
new tools when existing ones are available.  I also don't want to
spend a fortune buying a commercial tool, if I can help it.  Now
suppose I want to build something that needs to instrument some C code
in some way -- maybe I need to include certain kinds of profiling
commands, or new mechanisms for debugging.  Gcc looks attractive -- it
runs on my machine, and it doesn't cost my research grants any money.
But what happens if I use it?

Well, ignoring the fact that it's still in Beta test after months and
months and months, and updates (and new bugs) just keep coming, there
is problem of the copyleft.  If I use the gcc compiler for my project
and want to provide it to some companies to test against "real world"
data, they won't take it.  The folks at Bellcore, AT&T, IBM, DEC, and
a bunch of others have already told me that they won't.  Why?  Because
their corporate lawyers don't want to take any chance at all that
internal project code is "contaminated" with copyleft software.  They
may have no plans whatsoever to market or otherwise commercially use
my prototypes, but they would "contaminate" their labs if they
accepted gcc-based software.  That leaves me out in the cold.  I can't
get them to test my prototypes under real conditions, and they won't
be interested in funding my research if they can't test the results.

Now, if I really wanted to force the issue, every lawyer I've talked
to says that the copyleft wouldn't last a minute in court.  But I'm
not interested in pursuing that, and neither are the major companies
-- it's bad publicity.  Especially so since RMS has threatened to fold
up shop and stop work on GNU software.  A lot of people would lose on
that.  Besides, none of those companies wants to fight that hard for
software that really doesn't have anyone committed to its correct and
continued functioning...except political fanatics/idealists; I'm
certainly reluctant to base anything major on a compiler that has such
spotty quality control.  Of course, if a government agency decides to
challenge the copyleft, that's it -- they don't care about public
sentiment in a case like this.

If I had access to a stable compiler that I could use, that had a
copyright but waived all restriction on further use of the code, I
would snap it up in a minute and dump gcc -- even if it meant I had to
scrounge up a few $1000 to pay for it.  There are differing realities
in the world; idealism is a wonderful thing but it doesn't always
match the majority of our realities.  Some of us have to deal with the
world as it is, not how we might like it to be.  I think it painfully
ironic that the politics of an effort to create an environment of
free, shared software should lead some of us working on the next
generation of software tools to wish that we could buy some software
we need instead of use the free software available.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (06/02/89)

In article <32029@bu-cs.BU.EDU> gjc@bu-cs.BU.EDU (George J. Carrette) writes:
|By the way, in reply to RMS's concern about lack of response to Apple's folly,
|don't worry, AUX is a dead issue. No rational buyer would purchase a machine
|to run AUX on over a Sparcstation or other similar options. So why worry about
|it?

Have you priced a Mac IIcx against a Sun Sparcstation recently?  The
Sun is faster, but it isn't cheaper.  That alone is why a rational
buyer might pick Apple, although s/he drools over the Sun.

About the A/UX port of GCC:

I understand FSF's standpoint on Apple, and even agree with it to a
point.  The point I draw the line at is the one where censorship is
drawn; just because you think Apple is a scum-of-the-earth company is
no reason to censor people.  Censorship isn't going to solve the
problem, and in fact may exaggerate it by alienating those (like
myself) who basically agree that Apple's lawsuits are rather
counterproductive (if not downright silly).

You don't like Apple?  Don't support their products.  Tell people you
don't support them.  You've done that in the past, no problem there.
Someone comes out with a port of a FSF product, publicly announce you
won't support it.  But don't censor the person for his efforts --
they're in the same spirit as yours, they just don't follow your
politics.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

wert@toaster.Sun.COM (Robert Scott Comer) (06/03/89)

Yes, I agree that fsf has been out of line re: apple. Free software is
free, period. Computer scientists should be building on each other, not
ripping each apart. David Berry did a nice piece of work on his own time.
It should stand on its own merits. David might not even agree with his
employers' ideas about how to protect their property.

FSF's refusal to incorporate changes to enhance portability to AUX are
despicable. Shame on you. You are no better than Apple.

scott comer

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (06/04/89)

In article <107886@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> wert@sun.UUCP (Robert Scott Comer) writes:

    Yes, I agree that fsf has been out of line re: apple. Free software is
    free, period. Computer scientists should be building on each other, not
    ripping each apart. David Berry did a nice piece of work on his own time.
    It should stand on its own merits. David might not even agree with his
    employers' ideas about how to protect their property.

Let me say, let me say: whatever the evils of RMS in the eyes of people that
would like to take advantage of his *free* software to further their
*restricted* research or products, there are two points that seem to be
forgotten:

	[1] The FSF do not want to *support* their sw on Apple products.
	    Consistently with their *free* sw policy, you are not
	    *forbidden* from using it on Apple computers, or supporting it
	    yourself. The FSF exercise their right not to do something
	    they don't like, while remaining consistent with their aims.

	[2] The FSF are the copyright holder of their sw. They free to
	    impose whatever conditions (note, not *restrictions*) on
	    reproduction of their copyrighted work as they see fit. These
	    conditions are exceptionally mild, and are designed to promote
	    *free* sharing of their sw, including derivatives. If you don't
	    like this, get sw from somebody else that is prepared to offer
	    different conditions.

    FSF's refusal to incorporate changes to enhance portability to AUX are
    despicable. Shame on you. You are no better than Apple.

Of course, one can try to persuade RMS and the FSF to change their beliefs
or that their actions are inconsistent with them, but keeping well present
that they are respectable persons with a keen intellect, have contributed
much to the state of the art and the ability for many to share it, and they
surely are not ossified, but think over and over their decisions again.

As to me I quite agree with RMS on Apple. The only objection I think can be
made is that the support boycott might not be the best solution to the
problem of how to exert some pressure or influence against Apple's actions.

Even given this, in the absence of some better idea the support boycott is
an understandable reaction of the "we don't want to have to do with products
of companies we strongly dislike" sort. It might even make other people think
of why there is such strong dislike.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) (06/07/89)

In article <6862@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@cs.purdue.edu
(Gene Spafford) writes:

>If I use the gcc compiler for my project
>and want to provide it to some companies to test against "real world"
>data, they won't take it.  The folks at Bellcore, AT&T, IBM, DEC, and
>a bunch of others have already told me that they won't.  Why?  Because
>their corporate lawyers don't want to take any chance at all that
>internal project code is "contaminated" with copyleft software.

The contamination aspect is a feature of the freerighting (or copyleft).
In fact, it is its central feature.  How often have you seen a large amount
of public domain code infected with some proprietary stuff and removed from
the public domain?  It imposes difficulties, of course.  It has to.

I make my living writing software.  If I use GNU stuff I have to let my
clients know about the restrictions.  All of them will resent them to one
degree or another.  It will be a major inconvenience.  But the
inconvenience of secret software has been far worse.

How often have you encountered the situation where you need a bug fixed, a
feature documented, or an add-on written and the vendor refuses to allow
you to do it, or to do it himself?  How can really quality software evolve
in the absence of exchange of ideas, fixes, etc.?

DEC, IBM, Bellcore, AT&T feel inconvenienced because the freerighting will
mean they are no longer able to inconvenience others.  To remove the
inconvenience is to remove the entire purpose of freerighting.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, President, Algorists,
jeffrey@algor2.UU.NET or uunet!algor2!jeffrey