[gnu.gcc] Two separate issues

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (06/08/89)

Someone sent me this message:

   You write:
   > The difference between this and China is a matter of degree.  The
   > spirit is the same.

   I disagree.  Your definitions of ``free'' and ``freedom'' intrigue me.
   Here you are conducting a holy war against ``evil software hoarders''...

This indicates a confusion of two separate issues which I suspect shows
I didn't distinguish them clearly enough.  So I will try to do so now.

For 6 years I have been working on a project to make software free,
but not by coercing anyone, only by writing free software.  And, in
general, they have not tried to coerce me either.

I believe software should be free.  But my message quoted above is
about a different issue, where traditionally accepted rights are in
danger.

Apple and others wish to take away people's freedom to write software,
whether free or not.  And Apple does plan to use coercion to get their
way, if they can.  They hope to get injunctions, and then others will
have the choice of obeying Apple or being imprisoned.

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (06/08/89)

First of all, you cut me off in mid stream, taking me out of context
and then posted a reply to a large group of people.

>    I disagree.  Your definitions of ``free'' and ``freedom'' intrigue me.
>    Here you are conducting a holy war against ``evil software hoarders''...

If you look at the rest of the sentence, I said (in essence) that you
would encroach upon others' livelihood by their talents.

I don't really agree with Apple on this particular issue because I
believe ``Look and Feel'' is an idea.  The argument here is whether
one should have the right to protect her ``intellectual property''.

> Free software contributes more to society than proprietary software,
> with the same amount of work.  Therefore, free software should have
> more incentive than proprietary software.

In your argument for the good of society, you place the responsibility
for its good on the good nature of individuals.  Additionally you
burden them with the requirement that they find some other means to
make a living which, by the way, could be just as bad or worse than
``software hoarding''.  What makes you think this will succeed?

The goal of the copyright laws was to protect and advance the good of
society by having that good rely on greed, part of human nature.  So
far, this has worked quite well.  Any attempts to change human nature
would be artificial and temporary, at best.  So why bother?  And
again, what is wrong with the current system?

What is the difference between software hoarding and hardware
hoarding?  And how are all the ``hoarders'' to survive if they may not
use their resourcefulness to make an income?  What about people who
work towards the creation of weapons (wittingly or not)?  They may not
hold any copyrights.

I don't really have a problem with what FSF is doing.  But there has
yet to really be a good argument against the free market system.  If
the price on a decent product is overinflated, then there is room for
others to produce, and others will.  FSF is just another competitor
to the commercial compilers.  What bothers me is that so many people
have put so much time and effort into the FSF only to have their work
not be used, thereby causing others to have to expend more effort into
writing yet another piece of software.  In the end, this is self
defeating.

[Incidentally, there are interesting articles on the subject of Look
and Feel in last month's CACM, and the SIGCHI Proceedings.  Should
people be allowed to copyright books?]

Eliot Lear

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (06/08/89)

    First of all, you cut me off in mid stream, taking me out of context
    and then posted a reply to a large group of people.

I used your message only to illustrate why I had spoken unclearly, not
to criticize you.  So I used only enough to illustrate the point.  I
was glad you had not raised this issue on the list, so I did not
either.  I also did not mention your name.  I thought I had done
enough to avoid giving you reason for offense.

Now that you have raised it on the list, I decline to respond.  I
think that starting a discussion on yet another issue would be bad for
all the people who joined the list to get announcements from the GNU
project.  It would also be bad for anyone who hopes to use GCC 1.36,
since I will not have time to work on it.

Besides, I have already published my arguments for why software should
be free.  They are already available to anyone who wants to see them.
So it would be wasteful for me to post them.  I refer interested
readers to the GNU Manifesto.

However, I caution the readers not to believe that my views are
accurately described by the messages that my opponents will post.
Some will portray my views accurately, but many will not.

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (06/09/89)

In article <8906071718.AA00282@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu> rms@AI.MIT.EDU writes:
>Someone sent me this message:
>
>   You write:
>   > The difference between this and China is a matter of degree.  The
>   > spirit is the same.
>
>   I disagree.  Your definitions of ``free'' and ``freedom'' intrigue me.
>   Here you are conducting a holy war against ``evil software hoarders''...
>
>This indicates a confusion of two separate issues which I suspect shows
>I didn't distinguish them clearly enough.  So I will try to do so now.
>
>For 6 years I have been working on a project to make software free,
>but not by coercing anyone, only by writing free software.  And, in
>general, they have not tried to coerce me either.
>
>I believe software should be free.  But my message quoted above is
>about a different issue, where traditionally accepted rights are in
>danger.
>
>Apple and others wish to take away people's freedom to write software,
>whether free or not.  And Apple does plan to use coercion to get their
>way, if they can.  They hope to get injunctions, and then others will
>have the choice of obeying Apple or being imprisoned.

I disagree.  Apple does not want to "take away people's freedom to write
software" in the general sense.  They DO wish to prohibit people from
writing software that infringes on their intellectual property rights.

In this country we have many freedoms, but there are limits set on them.
One limit is set forth in the constitution concerning intellectual
property.  Article 1, Section 8, states:

"The Congress shall have power"
"8. To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing
for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to
their respective writings and discoveries."

To implement this the Congress has set up the Patent and Copyright system.
This system DOES restrict my complete freedom to do what I please.  I
can not reproduce anothers work if it is protected by a Patent or Copyright.

If Apple feels that its legal rights are being violated, then they should
take the violators to court.  The violators should fight this in court if
they don't think they have done anything wrong.  And the courts will decide
who was right.

I know I would want the same right to fight for my intellectual property
rights if they were infringed.  For example, if I were to spend X years
inventing a new way to interact with computers (or refine oil for that
matter) and someone came along and said "that's nice, I think I'll use
it", I'd have two choices.  I could say "fine, enjoy it", or take them
to court to defend my patents or copyrights.

Both choices are within my rights and both are moral.

I don't (think I) have any objections to what the FSF is doing with
it's Copyleft, etc.  But I do object to them trying to coerce people
and/or companies into giving up their rights to their intellectual
property.  I hope the FSF fails at this.

-- michael peirce