[gnu.gcc] What CPU's supported

walls@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Monty Walls) (05/28/89)

	What CPU's are supported by GCC?  What CPU's will be supported
in the near future?  If someone would mail me the list I'd
appreciate it.

	Thanks,
		-Monty Walls

Monty Walls
Work:                               Home:
    MIS Division, Tech. Support         2224 Houston Apt #8
    Oklahoma Tax Commission             Norman, OK, 73071
    2501 N. Lincoln                     USA
    OKC, OK, 73194                      Phone - 405-364-5123
    USA                                 uucp - killer!walls
    Phone - 405-521-4300

schmidt@ics.uci.edu (Doug Schmidt) (05/29/89)

In article <8216@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> walls@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Monty Walls) writes:
++
++ --------------------------------------------------------------------------
++
++ 	What CPU's are supported by GCC?  What CPU's will be supported
++ in the near future?  If someone would mail me the list I'd
++ appreciate it.

This is from the GNU bulletin:

CPUs supported include the 680x0, Vax, 32x32, 80386, Sparc (Sun 4), SPUR
and Alliant.  Ports for the Convex, the IBM 370, the IBM PC/RT, the 3b2,
some sort of Gould machine, the HP Spectrum, the AMD 29000, the MIPS
RISC chips, and the Motorola 88000 are on their way.

Doug
--
On a clear day, under blue skies, there is no need to seek.
And asking about Buddha                +------------------------+

schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (05/29/89)

In article <16049@paris.ics.uci.edu>, schmidt@ics (Doug Schmidt) writes:
>Ports for the Convex, the IBM 370, the IBM PC/RT, the 3b2,
>some sort of Gould machine, the HP Spectrum, the AMD 29000, the MIPS
>RISC chips, and the Motorola 88000 are on their way.

Speaking of the RT, who is working on that port?  If they want
beta testers, I volunteer.
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>

dsmythe@cup.portal.com (dave l smythe) (05/30/89)

What about the DG Eclipse?

raeburn@athena.mit.edu (Ken Raeburn) (05/30/89)

In article <4622@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
>Speaking of the RT, who is working on that port?  If they want
>beta testers, I volunteer.

I am one of the people who have been working on it; however, it
doesn't fully work, and I haven't had the time to do much lately.

There's also a version Richard Kenner of NYU has been working on,
which is a lot more oriented towards optimization than mine, but (I
believe) also doesn't fully work.  I've got a copy of his code and was
intending to isolate the gcc changes needed for getting it running (as
opposed to the instruction scheduling, which is nice but not
necessary, and I think someone else is working on that anyways) and
just try to get it running, but haven't been able to get the time.

If anyone wants to hack on these, let me know....

-- Ken Raeburn
   MIT Project Athena

meissner@DG-RTP.DG.COM (Michael Meissner) (06/10/89)

In article <18930@cup.portal.com> dsmythe@cup.portal.com (dave l smythe) writes:
| What about the DG Eclipse?

Oh boy, a subject for which I'm qualified to digress on.  I'm one of the few
people (I believe) that has actually worked on compilers for the DG computers
as well as GCC (for the 88000).  I'm not aware of any ports to either the
Eclipse (16 bit) or the MV/Eclipse (32 bit).  In my opinion, this would be
painful, for the following reasons:

If you really meant Eclipse as opposed to MV/Eclipse, GCC has a definite 32-bit
bias in it.  The compiler itself would never fit in a 16 bit address space,
IMHO.

The Nova, Eclipse, and MV/Eclipse is one of those 'fun' word based machines,
which have different pointer formats for pointers to bytes and pointers to
words.  GCC internally believe there is only one true pointer format.  This
can be gotten around by always using byte pointers on the DG side, and doing
the conversion before dereferncing it.

Another 'fun' ascpect to the traditional DG computers is that it only has
four registers, and only two of the registers can used to dereference word
pointers.  You could concievably write the appropriate macros in the machine
dependent portion of GCC, but I suspect some of GCC's algorithms for register
allocation and spilling might be inappropriate for so few registers.

Another gotcha is that the stack pointer, frame pointer, et. al don't normally
reside in fixed registers.

Finally, the traditional DG/CLRE calling sequence for the Eclipse (but not
the MV/Eclipse) pushes a pointer to hold the return value if the function
returns a value, but does not push that pointer argument for void functions.
You would have to make sure that all void functions are declared as such
in the scope of any calls, or not use the DG/CLRE calling sequence (which is
what I recomend).

However, if you have plenty of time on your hands, go to it.
--
Michael Meissner, Data General.
Uucp:		...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!meissner		If compiles were much