[gnu.gcc] The Sententious Parvenu Speaks

schmidt@ics.uci.edu (Doug Schmidt) (06/01/89)

In article <6862@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
[Lots of sour grapes about GNU]

   If you don't like what GNU software offers then by all means,
please don't use it.  No one forces you to use it, and no one really
cares if you do or don't like it.  However, please also refrain from
wasting your time, and the time of people who are dedicated to making
GNU work, by whining and trying to sound important.  No one is
impressed.  Sorry.

Remember,

``Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a carpenter to build it.''

Douglas C. Schmidt
--
On a clear day, under blue skies, there is no need to seek.
And asking about Buddha                +------------------------+

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (06/02/89)

In article <16318@paris.ics.uci.edu> Doug Schmidt <schmidt@zola.ics.uci.edu> writes:
>In article <6862@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
>[Lots of sour grapes about GNU]

Your (mistaken) interpretation.

>   If you don't like what GNU software offers then by all means,
>please don't use it.

I never said I don't like the software.

> No one forces you to use it, and no one really
>cares if you do or don't like it.

We care here.  My sponsors care.  People at other universities care.
The dozen people who have sent mail to me in the last 12 hours seem to
care.

> However, please also refrain from
>wasting your time, and the time of people who are dedicated to making
>GNU work, by whining and trying to sound important.  No one is
>impressed.  Sorry.

Glad you feel so free to insult others for expressing their opinions.
Gee, it must be nice to be such a superior being as yourself.  Were
you born so exalted, or did someone grant you a license to be rude?
And I'm so relieved to know that you can read such deep meaning into
my comments -- that they were without substance and simply posted as
ego-stroking.  How astute!  How consistent with my usual behavior!
Bravo!!  Yet another example of the kind of clear thought and rational
behavior that has endeared the FSF and its goals to every thinking
being who has come in contact with them.  What a service you
(personally) continue to render to us all!

>Remember,
>
>``Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a carpenter to build it.''

Yup.  But if the carpenter builds it in the middle of a swamp so that
it is impossible to get things out of it without wallowing in the
mire, then who's the real jackass?
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

lance@kodak.UUCP (Dan Lance) (06/10/89)

In article <131@arrakis.UUCP> pax@arrakis.UUCP writes:
>Imposing restrictions on the distribution of software and then calling it
>Free is antithetical!

Free does not mean public domain.  Free means that one can get copies of the
software and licenses without paying the owner any money.  One is still obliged
to respect the software's copyright.

Here's an example:  If I have a book and, being done with it, I give it to you,
you have gotten it for free.   You cannot go out and run that book through a
photocopier, for such would violate the copyright -- even though you entered
into no contract with the author and paid him no money.

GNU Licenses are free:  they cost you no money.  They do not remove from you
the obligation to prevent hoarding of the software.

I find it amazing that so much misinterpretation exists on this simple point.

--drl
Daniel R. Lance / drl@kodak.com