[gnu.gcc] Should Apple employees be held responsible?

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (06/10/89)

Many people have said things like, "Berry isn't responsible for corporate
policy."

I think people formed their ideas of this question based on policies
of limited impact, such as how generously employees or customers are
treated.  I would agree with these people, when such actions are
concerned.  We have to expect any organization to do minor obnoxious
things from time to time, and should not condemn the organization
entirely on that account, let alone its employees who were not
personally involved.

For an action as hostile and destructive as Apple's lawsuit, it is
different.  The lawsuit was decided on at the highest level, and its
harmful impact on society is comparable with everything else the
company is doing.  (Compare the work done by developers at Apple
with the work that could be done by all the other companies in the
field--work that will be prevented by Apple if Apple wins.)

So no one should work for Apple until Apple drops its suit.  While I
don't blame them personally for starting the lawsuit, I do blame them for
keeping Apple's income going while it is continuing the suit.

People seem to overestimate the amount of hardship involved in
quitting a job at Apple.  I'm sure their competent employees could
easily find new jobs that pay more than most Americans make.  Perhaps
the background of most Apple employees has shielded them from the
economic realities that ought to shape their sense of proportion.

ned@pebbles.cad.mcc.com (CME Ned Nowotny) (06/11/89)

In article <8906092116.AA00899@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu> rms@AI.MIT.EDU writes:
>People seem to overestimate the amount of hardship involved in
>quitting a job at Apple.  I'm sure their competent employees could
>easily find new jobs that pay more than most Americans make.  Perhaps
>the background of most Apple employees has shielded them from the
>economic realities that ought to shape their sense of proportion.

It is always easier to see the fault in others that we can not see in ourselves.

* Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program  * ARPA: ned@mcc.com     Phone: (512) 338-3715 *
* Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720 * UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned *