[gnu.gcc] Supposed intellectual property rights.

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (06/10/89)

    I disagree.  Apple does not want to "take away people's freedom to write
    software" in the general sense.  They DO wish to prohibit people from
    writing software that infringes on their intellectual property rights.

This is a distinction without a difference.  Extending the definition
of property rights *is* taking away someone else's freedom.

The American Indians considered land to be common property.  They did
not try to bar the English from using the land.  But the English, once
established, started claiming to own land which the Indians had always
used.  When they acted to prevent infringement of their property
rights, they were taking away the traditional freedom of the Indians.

Not much later, the gentry in England started building fences around
the land that small farmers had traditionally used, but had no deeds
for.  (They had never needed any.)  The small farmers, kicked out to
make way for more profitable kinds of farming, were left without
means.  This was called "simple enforcement of property rights".  Now
historians call it "enclosure".

The text quoted above is misleading in another way as well: it speaks
of "intellectual property rights" as if their existence and
extent were generally accepted and uncontroversial.

In fact, this is precisely what the controversy is about.  What property
rights does Apple have?  What property rights should Apple have?

Apple is claiming a kind of property which three years ago was considered
outrageous but far-fetched by nearly everyone in the field.  Most still
consider it outrageous, but they are learning that they can't afford
to consider it far-fetched.

The question of whether Apple does have a new kind of property will be
decided first by judges, then by Congress and by public opinion.  We
are working to influence all of these.

However, debating this result is like debating who will win an
election.  The important issue is who *should* win.  That is what
people need to make up their minds about.

The Constitution itself might suggest a criterion: it says that the
purpose of copyright is, "To promote the progress of science and
useful arts."  In other words, if user-interface copyright actually
impedes progress as many people in the field believe, it is
unconstitutional.

kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) (06/11/89)

In article <8906100346.AA02699@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu>, rms@AI.MIT.EDU writes:

> [Quote by somebody else and followup: counter-examples from history.]
>
> The text quoted above is misleading in another way as well: it speaks
> of "intellectual property rights" as if their existence and
> extent were generally accepted and uncontroversial.
> In fact, this is precisely what the controversy is about.

I believe I've heard RMS say he agrees in principle with patents and
copyrights as applied to their traditional targets -- physical
inventions and written works.  Under these conditions, it seems that
patents and copyrights are explicitly protecting "intellectual
property rights" -- they are allowing people to "own" ideas (or
expressions of ideas) for a period of time.

So the law clearly recognizes the *existence* of "intellectual property
rights"....and perhaps RMS does, too.  The question is under what
conditions do they exist, and how far do they extend.

> The Constitution itself might suggest a criterion: it says that the
> purpose of copyright is, "To promote the progress of science and
> useful arts."  In other words, if user-interface copyright actually
> impedes progress as many people in the field believe, it is
> unconstitutional.

Yes, an excellent criterion.  But I think disallowing all copyrights of
software would inhibit "the progress of science and art".  Let's take
two examples from fictional, parallel universes:

[1]  In this universe, light bulbs do not exist.  A few scattered
researchers have ideas about how to make light bulbs, but their
prototypes are dim, uneconomical, and unreliable.  One very smart
researcher who has made a lot of money on previous inventions decides
to make a major push toward discovering a workable lightbulb.  He
builds labs, obtains materials, hires workers; his organization spends
years testing all kinds of materials, voltages, currents, atmospheres,
bulb sizes, etc., etc.  Finally, after a lot of work and money, the
group develops an economic light bulb.  It would be trivial for others
to reverse engineer the bulb, but patent law protects the inventor --
he can get a fair return on his investment.  Without the patent
protection, he might never have made the investment, and a workable
lightbulb might have taken years longer to be developed.  With the
protection, science progressed faster.

[2]  In this universe, mouse-based computer/user interfaces are rather
awkward.  A computer company decides that, instead of hacking out yet
another awkward interface for its new computer, it will develop an
interface that is really *right*.  The company takes a lot of extra
time and money to explore several different ways a mouse-based
windowing system might work.  It runs real, scientific tests on users
to determine what methods objectively work best for a large group of
people, as opposed to what a couple of programmers like best.  Using
the results of the research, the company releases an interface that is
clearly the best around.  It would be trivial for another company to
reverse engineer the interface, but copyright law protects the
developer.  Without copyright protection......  [you get the idea].

[To reiterate: I stipulate that these stories are fictional.]

A couple of years ago, I attended a talk RMS gave here at the University
of Texas.  I agreed with most of his ideas, but I couldn't go for Total
Emancipation of All Software.  I think Universe #2 above is close enough
to reality that some copyrightability is best for all.

During the talk's Q&A segment, Stallman said that with a gun pointed to
his head, as an extreme compromise, he might be able to accept a
relatively short copyright period for software.  Say 3-5 years.  This
sounds ideal to me: it protects investment, but allows for public use
of the software before it is ancient history (I think one sofware year
is equivalent to about ten poem years; sort of like dogs and people.)

Just think, if 3-5 years were the law, then Apple's look-and-feel -- and
much of its ROMs -- would be going free about now.

[I apologize in advance if I've misrepresented anybody's opinions.]

--
-- Kelvin Thompson, Lone Rider of the Apocalypse
   kelvin@cs.utexas.edu  {...,uunet}!cs.utexas.edu!kelvin

mccoy@accuvax.nwu.edu (Jim McCoy ) (06/11/89)

A few problems with an arguement:

In article <136@yaxkin.cs.utexas.edu> kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) writes:
>In article <8906100346.AA02699@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu>, rms@AI.MIT.EDU writes:
>>
>> [Quote by somebody else and followup: counter-examples from history.]
>>
>> The text quoted above is misleading in another way as well: it speaks
>> of "intellectual property rights" as if their existence and
>> extent were generally accepted and uncontroversial.
>> In fact, this is precisely what the controversy is about.
>
>I believe I've heard RMS say he agrees in principle with patents and
>copyrights as applied to their traditional targets -- physical
>inventions and written works.  Under these conditions, it seems that
>patents and copyrights are explicitly protecting "intellectual
>property rights" -- they are allowing people to "own" ideas (or
>expressions of ideas) for a period of time.

Ahhh.... Do people own ideas, or do they own an particular general
implementation of an idea?

>So the law clearly recognizes the *existence* of "intellectual property
>rights"....and perhaps RMS does, too.  The question is under what
>conditions do they exist, and how far do they extend.

Exactly.

>> The Constitution itself might suggest a criterion: it says that the
>> purpose of copyright is, "To promote the progress of science and
>> useful arts."  In other words, if user-interface copyright actually
>> impedes progress as many people in the field believe, it is
>> unconstitutional.
>
>Yes, an excellent criterion.  But I think disallowing all copyrights of
>software would inhibit "the progress of science and art".  Let's take
>two examples from fictional, parallel universes:

   [thinly veiled example of Thomas Edison and the lightbulb deleted]

>[2]  In this universe, mouse-based computer/user interfaces are rather
>awkward.

Hmmm.... well, it looks like we have established that the "lightbulb"
in this case already exists in a useable (but maybe not as well
marketed as Apple's Mac interface will soon be) form, although just not
smoothed out yet.

>	  A computer company decides that, instead of hacking out yet
>another awkward interface for its new computer, it will develop an
>interface that is really *right*.

This seems similar to a situation where I would patent a "soft-light"
bulb a few months after edison introduces his bulb, this being fair
because the "soft-light" bulb is just taking off some of the ackward
harshness of the lightbulb that edison already holds a patent to.

>				   The company takes a lot of extra
>time and money to explore several different ways a mouse-based
>windowing system might work.  It runs real, scientific tests on users
>to determine what methods objectively work best for a large group of
>people, as opposed to what a couple of programmers like best.  Using
>the results of the research, the company releases an interface that is
>clearly the best around.

So maybe my fictitious company decides that the "soft-light" lightbulb
THAT I BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE'S SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH (the only thing id
did was clean up this idea a little and market it heavily, while
giving no credit to the people who did the real work "...to promote
the progress of science and usefull arts")is preferred by users more
that the harsh, ackward light that SOMEONE ELSE INVENTED.

>			  It would be trivial for another company to
>reverse engineer the interface,

It would be trivial for someone else to reverse engineer the thin film
of coating on the light that was my only contribution to "the progress
of science and the usefull arts".

>				 but copyright law protects the
>developer.

But not in this case.  I as little ability to prevent someone from
making a "soft-light" lightbulb as I do in preventing someone from
making a blue colored lightbulb and then claiming rights to any other
lightbulb that is blue.

>	     Without copyright protection......  [you get the idea].

Yeah, i get the idea.  The idea is that copyright laws in look and
feel are good because they allow some company to maek a few minor
modifications in something (under licsence) and then sitting back on
my laurels (and making lots of money in the process) as everyone else
is prevented from doing anything that is even vaguely similar to my
work, because  I own the rights to the "idea" of my market-researched
modifications to another idea that wasn't even mine in the first
place.  "[T]he progress of science and the usefull arts" has been
thwarted, because no one else can try to derive something better or
more usefull from my "market-researched modifications to someone
else's idea" unless I can demand a cut of the potential profits of
such a venture.  By the time others can use my ideas in any way,
shape, or form , the ideas are pathetically obsolete and useless to
the "progress of science and the usefull arts".

>[To reiterate: I stipulate that these stories are fictional.]

I shall make no such lies about thinly veiled situations that are of
major consequence to the "progress of science and the usefull arts".
You are talking about Edison and Apple.  I was talking about Apple.

		[small section about a talk by rms]

>During the talk's Q&A segment, Stallman said that with a gun pointed to
>his head, as an extreme compromise, he might be able to accept a
>relatively short copyright period for software.  Say 3-5 years.  This
>sounds ideal to me: it protects investment, but allows for public use
>of the software before it is ancient history (I think one sofware year
>is equivalent to about ten poem years; sort of like dogs and people.)

A three (preferable) to five (more probable) year limit on the weakly
supported idea of "look and feel" may be acceptable to some, but it
still sets a dangerous precedent by saying that "look and feel" is
something that CAN be copyrighted.  This seems like something that
should be done (e.g. writing to congressmen and senators urgin the
modification of the copyright codes) only if "look and feel" gets a
more stable foothold in interpretation of copyright law.  This is less
preferable because companies like Apple, Ashton-Tate, et al. have a
LOT more money to spend on lobbying to protect their interests that we
(those seeking software freedom) ever will.  The best shot is an
organized brief in the Apple suit, as the courts at least attempt to
put petitioners on an equal level.

>Just think, if 3-5 years were the law, then Apple's look-and-feel -- and
>much of its ROMs -- would be going free about now.

Yes, and Presentation Manager, SunViews, X, and a host of other
software systems would be non-existant (or only in the formative
stages) because the law would explicitly prevent anyone from infringing
on Apple's licsence.

>[I apologize in advance if I've misrepresented anybody's opinions.]
>
>--
>-- Kelvin Thompson, Lone Rider of the Apocalypse
>   kelvin@cs.utexas.edu  {...,uunet}!cs.utexas.edu!kelvin

[No apologies, no regrets.]

				jim

------------------------------< Jim McCoy >------------------------------------
mccoy@acns.nwu.edu                  |  "...far too many notes for my taste"
#include <disclaimer.h>             |        -Phantom of the Opera
			"To thine own self be true"

mark@arisia.Xerox.COM (Mark Weiser) (06/12/89)

In article <136@yaxkin.cs.utexas.edu> kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) writes:
>[2]  In this universe, mouse-based computer/user interfaces are rather
>awkward....[To reiterate: I stipulate that these stories are fictional.]

This one certainly is certainly fictional.  Ever use the Smalltalk
interface, or Cedar, or Interlisp-D, or even STAR?  All pre-date Lisa
and Mac, none were "rather awkward", each continues to surpass existing PC
and Mac interfaces in some ways.  [And all of which is irrelevant to the
reasons for the Apple boycott, presumably.]

-mark

kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) (06/12/89)

In article <765@accuvax.nwu.edu>, mccoy@accuvax.nwu.edu (Jim McCoy ) writes:

> >During the talk's Q&A segment, Stallman said that with a gun pointed to
> >his head, as an extreme compromise, he might be able to accept a
> >relatively short copyright period for software.  Say 3-5 years.  This
> >sounds ideal to me: it protects investment, but allows for public use
> >of the software before it is ancient history.

I realize now I was mixing apples and oranges in my discussion.  I think
a 3-5 year copyright on the text and binaries of software is a good idea.
I have enough mixed feelings about the copyrightability of "look and feel"
that I won't state a position.  I'm sure RMS was talking about software,
not look-and-feel.

> A three (preferable) to five (more probable) year limit on the weakly
> supported idea of "look and feel" may be acceptable to some, but it
> still sets a dangerous precedent by saying that "look and feel" is
> something that CAN be copyrighted.

I thought the Pac-Man case a few years back established that it "CAN be
copyrighted".  Didn't that case make it all the way to court and receive
a ruling?

> >Just think, if 3-5 years were the law, then Apple's look-and-feel -- and
> >much of its ROMs -- would be going free about now.
>
> Yes, and Presentation Manager, SunViews, X, and a host of other
> software systems would be non-existant (or only in the formative
> stages) because the law would explicitly prevent anyone from infringing
> on Apple's licsence.

I've yet to see P.M. in action, but in my view (and Apple's, apparently)
SunViews and X don't infringe.  Is there a license or lawsuit relating
to Presentation Manager?

The big, deciding question is:  Would "look and feel" progress faster
with lots of quick, small increments (i.e. with no copyrightability)
...or with fewer, bigger increments (i.e. with some copyrightability)?
I think the answer is not obvious.

--

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (06/13/89)

In article <5634@cs.utexas.edu> kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) writes:

    > A three (preferable) to five (more probable) year limit on the weakly
    > supported idea of "look and feel" may be acceptable to some, but it
    > still sets a dangerous precedent by saying that "look and feel" is
    > something that CAN be copyrighted.

    I thought the Pac-Man case a few years back established that it "CAN be
    copyrighted".  Didn't that case make it all the way to court and receive
    a ruling?

My personal opinion is that there is no need to concede anything on
copyrightabiliity of look-and-feel; it is a totally bogus idea. On the other
hand many disingenuous companies try to trick courts into admitting
copyrightability of obviously ridiculous things like look-and-feel (Apple)
and language syntax (Ashton-Tate).

Apart from the intimidation value of such attempts to those that make them,
they also count on the possibility of the court being tricked, usually
because they are not technically proficient, into agreeing.

IMNHO, when the League does present their "amicus curiae" brief, they can
point out that there already exists in the law an established and ancient
way of protecting look-and-feel, and it is trademark/industrial design
provisions.  (i.e. the Coke bottle and the NatGeo yellow border are *not*
copyrighted). I would have, for one, no qualms in seeing the Mac's trashcan
be a trademark of Apple's (and appropriate too -- :-> sorry I cannot resist
pointing this out...), as it is indeed something by which Apple sw can be
recognized.

While trademark/industrial design protection is ideally suited to
look-and-feel for computers (it was designed for look-and-feel in general),
disingenous companies try to trick courts into granting copyrights where
inappropriate precisely because copyright is much more stifling (especially
as it is being extended to cover not just derivative works, but also similar
works, i.e. those using the same idea, even if not derived from copyrighted
material) and longer term; trade mark protection is by converse quite
ephemeral.

IMNHO there exists a case for allowing honest companies protection of their
*merketing* investement, e.g. recognition, under the terms of the appropriate
law, but it is very dangerous to let them get away with using the much
stronger instruments designed to protect *intellectual* investment to stifle
that of their competitors.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (06/15/89)

*APOLOGIES* Another gnu.philosophy posting...

In article <1010@aber-cs.UUCP> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

>While trademark/industrial design protection is ideally suited to
>look-and-feel for computers (it was designed for look-and-feel in general),
>disingenous companies try to trick courts into granting copyrights where
>inappropriate precisely because copyright is much more stifling (especially
>as it is being extended to cover not just derivative works, but also similar
>works, i.e. those using the same idea, even if not derived from copyrighted
>material) and longer term; trade mark protection is by converse quite
>ephemeral.

This is an extremely sensible argument - Apple does (IMHO) have right to
trademark its "look-and-feel", not copyright it. I second the request to
have the league put this into their amicus brief.

It seems that if anyone wrote a detective story with Miss Marple or Hercule
Poirot as the hero(ine), this would be a true violation of Dame Agatha's
"intellectual property rights", yet noone (even her - or her estate) should
be allowed to copyright the clever detective story.  Apple has a right to
defend its trash can and a few other particulars, perhaps, but hardly the
entire WIMP interface (or even the idea of a trash can - just the particular
implementation).

If someone goes so far as to create an interface so similar to the Mac that
the proverbial "reasonable man" (something only lawyers really believe in)
would actually be deceived into thinking WAS a Mac, this could be fairly seen
as a trademark violation. (Is the Mac interface actually trademarked?).
Does anyone know if this is truly the definition of a trademark? It seems
reasonable.

BTW, anyone who has actually USED the Microsoft Windows dog (where even a 20Mhz
386 is slower and more primitive than a Mac Plus) knows that this would be
a joke.  Apple is clearly a step ahead of Microsoft and should be putting
its energy into keeping that lead instead of a pointless and dangerous suit.
Perhaps they think they can take away more business by hurting their
competitors than helping their own users.  This is a clear loss for the
consumer (where is Ralph Nader?)  It also seriously damages Apple's otherwise
well-earned reputation as a company for the common man.

Isn't it a sweet irony that Xerox has finally now "sent [royalty] demand
letters to several companies" [companies unnamed] for use of "Xerox
copyrights covering scroll-bar use, window design and placement, menu
design, and use of alert boxes" [MacWeek June 6, 1989] Is it time to
start a boycott of Xerox copiers?

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
University of Colorado
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)492-8136 or 444-3168

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (06/15/89)

In article <9411@boulder.Colorado.EDU> fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) writes:
# *APOLOGIES* Another gnu.philosophy posting...
#
# In article <1010@aber-cs.UUCP> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
# >
[...]

Speaking of this, every "reasonable man" knew that Solar Pons was
without a doubt a Sherlock Holmes "clone". "Look and Feel" ? Hell, yes.
That was the whole point. Copyright violation? It is called a pastiche (sp?).
It did EVERYTHING that "Look and Feel" software contention is about.
It was DESIGNED to look like Sherlock Holmes, feel like Sherlock Holmes,
appeal to Sherlock Holmes fans, entice Sherlock Holmes fans to spend
money upon these books. It meets EVERY REQUIREMENT THAT APPLE IS USING
IN COURT TO RESTRICT " Look and Feel".

Sherlock Holmes, at the time, (the estate of Conan Doyle recently
voluntarily released their copyright with the statement "We hope you
will treat the image of Sherlock Holmes with the respect it deserves."
[not by any means verbatum]), was fully protected. The right to emulate
the "Look and Feel" of Sherlock Holmes via a pastiche was also fully
protected.

Disclaimers:

	I like the Macintosh
	I like gcc
	I work for a software development company	a.k.a. "Hoarders"
	Don't you think Lotus 1-2-3 looks an awful lot like Visicalc?

Good Night,

jim

--
Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
					 domain: jim@eda.com