[gnu.gcc] HELP me not buy a MAC II

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (06/16/89)

    If you guys really want people not to buy Mac's, you have to provide a
    simple, non-political reason: that you have to have something better
    to offer.

What you are saying, in effect, is that everyone is apolitical and
considers only their short-term self interest.

This is not completely correct.  Some people do consider long-term
public interest in making their decisions.  Reaching these people is
better than reaching no one.

For most Americans, most of the time, you may be right.  However, I
think that is a situation to be regretted.  Even people who rarely
consider these questions might be able to do so occasionally.  By raising
these questions, we can encourage more long-term thinking.

As for making technically better alternatives, I'm doing the best I can.
If someone would like to improve idraw, that would be a good contribution
to GNU.

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (06/16/89)

In article <8906151800.AA00328@sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu> rms@AI.MIT.EDU writes:
>    If you guys really want people not to buy Mac's, you have to provide a
>    simple, non-political reason: that you have to have something better
>    to offer.
>What you are saying, in effect, is that everyone is apolitical and
>considers only their short-term self interest.

Not really, though.  He is recognizing that people consider their
short-term self interest when making this decision (after all, that's
probably the reason they're buying a computer in the first place).
A lot of people do take other matters into consideration; however,
they must weigh their own self-interest against the other matters.
Most of the time self-interest wins.

>This is not completely correct.  Some people do consider long-term
>public interest in making their decisions.  Reaching these people is
>better than reaching no one.
>
>For most Americans, most of the time, you may be right.

I think you are mistaken.  Just because someone made a decision to buy
an Apple machine doesn't mean they didn't consider the long-term
public interest.  I'd think most Americans do take into consideration
other criteria than their own self-interest when making decisions, it
just happens that self-interest wins out most of the time (God am I
repeating myself or what?).  The person who bought an Apple machine
without taking into consideration the public interest you either
haven't reached with your message or he/she simply believes you are
wrong.  That doesn't make him/her wrong (opinions are opinions, after
all).

>As for making technically better alternatives, I'm doing the best I can.
>If someone would like to improve idraw, that would be a good contribution
>to GNU.

I'd like to work in something like that (for the technical challenge,
mostly), but I (and probably a lot of other people, too) have reservations
about supporting goals that I don't necessarily agree with.

-Ivan Cavero Belaunde

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu

Disclaimer: MIT didn't say it, I said it all.  It's aaaall mine.