From sunybcs!rutgers!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!ucbvax!bloom-beacon!ai-lab!wolfe Wed Jun 14 13:10:00 MDT 1989
Article 37016 of comp.sys.mac:
>From: wolfe@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (John V. Wolfe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac,comp.graphics
Subject: Macintosh ROM Sources
Date: 7 Jun 89 19:38:13 GMT

A guy here at the MIT AI lab got a disk in the mail with no return
address.  It contained a README file (included here), the TeachText
application, and a Stuffit archive containing some source code.  The
listing of the filenames in the archive are included after the text of
the read-me file.  Makes for very interesting reading.

===============

5/22/89

      The file called "Rom Src (Stuffit)" contains the complete
assembly language source to both Color QuickDraw and all
the hardware Equate files for the various Macintoshes ROMs.
The files have been twice-encrypted using Stuffit 1.5.1.
The password is "source".
      The next mailing will consist of the complete source to the
hierarchical filing system and all the device drivers.   Over
several weeks, we will distribute the entire source to the
Macintosh ROM as well as the source to System software
6.0.3, Finder 6.1, and AppleTalk 2.0.   System 7.0 will be
distributed as soon as we secure a copy of it.  Our objective
at Apple is to distribute everything that prevents other
manufacturers from creating legal copies of the Macintosh.
As an organization, the nuPrometheus League has no ambition
beyond seeing the genius of a few Apple employees benefit the
entire world, not just dissipated by Apple Corporate through
litigation and ill-will.
      Anyone interested in directly receiving our next mailing should
place a classified ad sometime during the month of July in the
Bay Area Computer Currents or MacWeek with the word "nuPrometheus"
along with their address.  At that time you may make specific requests for
sources that you have interest in obtaining.

/signed/

The nuPrometheus League
(Software Artists for Information Dissemination)

===============

The following files were in the Stuffit archive:

ANGLES.a
Arcs.a
bitblt.a
BITMAPS.a
ccrsrcore.a
colmgr.a
colorasm.a
cqd.a
drawarc.a
DRAWLINE.a
drawtext.a
gdevice.a
GRAFASM.a
LCURSOR.a
LINES.a
OVALS.a
PACKRGN.a
patterns.a
pictures.a
POLYGONS.a
PUTLINE.a
PUTOVAL.a
PUTRGN.a
qd.a
RECTS.a
REGIONS.a
RGNBLT.a
RGNOP.A
RRECTS.a
seekMask.a
SEEKRGN.a
SORTPOINTS.a
STRETCH.a
text.a
UTIL.a
xcqd.a
Above CQD / Below Hardware:
bootequ.a
colorequ.a
DeclROMqu.a
disptable.a
fasttraps.a
inc.sum.a
undvideoequ.a
nAtalkequ.a
nEqu.a
nFastTraps.a
nFSPrivate.a
nHardwareEqu.a
nPrEqu.a
nPrivate.a
nQuickEqu.a
nSCSIEqu.a
nSMgrEqu.a
nSonyEqu.a
nSysEqu.a
nSysErr.a
nTEMacs.a
nTimeEqu.a
ntoolequ.a
nTraps.a
qdHooks.a
SlotIntEqu.a
SlotMgrMacs.a
StartMacs.a
xFixMath.a
xHardwareEqu.a
xPrivate.a
xSonyEqu.a
xSysEqu.a
xTimeEqu.a

John Wolfe			Disclaimer: I don't know what's going on,
wolfe@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu			I just live here!
545 Technology Square, Room 414
Cambridge, MA 02139

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
University of Colorado
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)492-8136 or 444-3168

brooks@vette.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (06/15/89)

>Subject: Macintosh ROM Sources

Did those idiots really write all of that stuff in assembler???

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (06/16/89)

In article <26904@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) writes:
>>Subject: Macintosh ROM Sources
>Did those idiots really write all of that stuff in assembler???

Yup, the "idiots" (your word, not mine) really wrote 256K and more of code
in assembler (not in c).  That's how the Mac OS can run in 512K while OS/2 PM
needs 4M.  But I digress; let's get back to the political discussion.

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (06/16/89)

In article <26904@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) writes:
>>Subject: Macintosh ROM Sources
>
>Did those idiots really write all of that stuff in assembler???

No, I believe that most of the ROM was written using Pascal, but
I am not sure how much.