[gnu.gcc] Free [Software] Foundation

gnu@toad.com (06/04/89)

Apple is free to use, modify, and distribute GCC, and I see no
evidence of FSF wishing to modify the GNU Public License to prevent
them.  FSF just wants Apple to have to do it all alone -- without help
from the supposed friends of FSF -- because Apple is actively working
in court to prevent the Foundation from doing what it is chartered to
do.

A lot of people think that FSF is there to provide them great software
for free.  This is not true.  FSF is there to demonstrate that freedom
allows and encourages people to produce great software.  The freedom
comes first, not the software.

Peter Honeyman would like to use FSF software without the politics.
I can understand that.  I'd like to use Peter's software without
the politics, but AT&T won't give me the source -- seems they have
a political position about that.

The people who wrote the GNU software that you get for free, were
inspired by the idea that it would always remain free.  The reason
that brilliant programmers wrote that stuff was because they knew it
would be used and learned from and improved by anyone who wants to.
There exists plenty of excellent software that isn't GNU copylefted;
if you happen to like the GNU software better, spend a moment to think
about why you like it and how it came to exist.  Ideals that attract
the caliber of people who are writing the GNU system are worth further
exploration, whether or not you agree with them.

	John Gilmore

benson@odi.com (Benson Margulies) (06/04/89)

Some of us, at one time or another, are in the position of building
something based on someone else's unfree source. At my previous job,
it was Unix. In this circumstance, it is a major puzzle how to satisfy
both copyleft and someone else's requirements. FSF is entitled to be
unsympathetic. It is, however, a real situation. So some of us are not
picking nits at copyleft to subvert it, but rather to figure out how
it can fit with other, conflicting situations.

What follows might be called: the slippery slope of software
recombination:

1) I write code that knows how to fork and exec gnu make.
I don't even distribute gnu make, I just tell my customers where to
get it. I don't distribute source of the system I built.

2) I supply diffs to gnu make (in source, of course).

3) I supply diffs to gnu make, and a set of instructions for building
it as a sun shared library. My proprietary code calls parts of it
via dynamic linking.

4) I supply a makefile which modifies and compiles some parts of gnu
make and links it in with my code.

The point of this is that there is, in my mind, a significant
difference between:

*) if you make changes to a FSF codebase that are generally
applicable, you are obligated to make them generally available.

and

*) if you use so much as a particle of FSF code in a system of yours,
you must apply GPL terms to the entire system.

My problem with the second, which currently sure seems to be the
intent of the GPL, is that its mighty hard to define a "system". the
GPL offers little guidance on the definition of this term. The
singular exception for "operating systems" clarifies nothing.
Surely, the accident of the use of an RPC protocol versus fork and
exec versus dynamic linking versus static linking can't really define
a system. But if it dosen't, then what does?

ps: I'd appreciate not receiving nastygrams from FSF followers in
response to this, especially to FSF followers who don't have the
braincells to put valid addresses anywhere in their mail. If RMS or
Len Tower or someone else central would like to supply some insight
here, fine. If not, still fine. No one else's opinion of the FSF's
position is relevant.

--
Benson I. Margulies

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (06/06/89)

In article <8906040445.AA04908@hop.toad.com> gnu@toad.com writes:
>Apple is free to use, modify, and distribute GCC, and I see no
>evidence of FSF wishing to modify the GNU Public License to prevent
>them.  FSF just wants Apple to have to do it all alone -- without help
>from the supposed friends of FSF -- because Apple is actively working
>in court to prevent the Foundation from doing what it is chartered to
>do.

You must have missed all of Stallman's postings.  He emphatically
prohibited Apple from posting any messages in this news group, even
though the postings were strictly in line with the charter of FSF.
That is, David Berry, who works at Apple, announced that he ported gcc
to the Macintosh.  This entire discussion is a result of Stallman
implicitly changing the GNU Public License so that any organization
that does not succumb to his political beliefs or does not meet with
his ideals is not free to participate with FSF.

>A lot of people think that FSF is there to provide them great software
>for free.  This is not true.

It is certainly clear now that this is not true.  Why not put the political
requirements in the charter?

>Peter Honeyman would like to use FSF software without the politics.
>I can understand that.  I'd like to use Peter's software without
>the politics, but AT&T won't give me the source -- seems they have
>a political position about that.

I doubt that it is political.  They probably have a commercial view on that.

>The people who wrote the GNU software that you get for free, were
>inspired by the idea that it would always remain free.  The reason
>that brilliant programmers wrote that stuff was because they knew it
>would be used and learned from and improved by anyone who wants to.

Anyone but Apple, right?  This is the true double talk.  And perhaps
you missed Stallman as he cited FSF's real charter:

	"The GNU project's purpose is politics."  --rms

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (06/08/89)

John, you have to get source to "Peter's software" from AT&T
because it's AT&T's software, not Peter's.  I am content with
this state of affairs; if you have a bone to pick with AT&T,
please leave me out of it.

Anything that's really mine you can have.  (You know that.)
E.g., from pathalias/README:

     pathalias, written by steve bellovin and peter honeyman,
     is in the public domain, and may be used by any person or
     organization, in any way and for any purpose.

Maybe this world needs a Really Free Software Foundation.

	peter

ps:  i am not a saber rattler.

tower@AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (06/09/89)

   From: sun-barr!texsun!pollux!ti-csl!m2!holland@rutgers.edu  (Fred Hollander)

   In article <8906040445.AA04908@hop.toad.com> gnu@toad.com writes:
   >Apple is free to use, modify, and distribute GCC, and I see no
   >evidence of FSF wishing to modify the GNU Public License to prevent
   >them.  FSF just wants Apple to have to do it all alone -- without help
   >from the supposed friends of FSF -- because Apple is actively working
   >in court to prevent the Foundation from doing what it is chartered to
   >do.

   You must have missed all of Stallman's postings.  He emphatically
   prohibited Apple from posting any messages in this news group, even
   though the postings were strictly in line with the charter of FSF.

Huh, charter?  I'm a Director of FSF and I've never seen the FSF
charter!  You must be referring to some mystical charter you've
created in your head.  From mis-understandings of what the GNU Project
has always been about.

   That is, David Berry, who works at Apple, announced that he ported gcc
   to the Macintosh.  This entire discussion is a result of Stallman
   implicitly changing the GNU Public License so that any organization
   that does not succumb to his political beliefs or does not meet with
   his ideals is not free to participate with FSF.

False.  All rms asked was that info-gcc/gnu.gcc, a forum created and
maintained by FSF, not be used to help Apple.  The forum exists to
further the purposes of the GNU Project, not Apple's.  Apple can still
use GNU software under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Why Apple?  Re-read gnu@toad.com first paragraph above.

   >A lot of people think that FSF is there to provide them great software
   >for free.  This is not true.

   It is certainly clear now that this is not true.  Why not put the political
   requirements in the charter?

Again what charter?  The GNU Manifesto and GNU General Public License
are both clear about this.  Both have been widely distributed.  Copies
of both are available from gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu.  Why don't you read them.

enjoy -len

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (06/13/89)

In article <8906082153.AA06661@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu> tower@AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) writes:

>   From: sun-barr!texsun!pollux!ti-csl!m2!holland@rutgers.edu  (Fred Hollander)
>
>   In article <8906040445.AA04908@hop.toad.com> gnu@toad.com writes:
>   >Apple is free to use, modify, and distribute GCC, and I see no
>   >evidence of FSF wishing to modify the GNU Public License to prevent
>   >them.  FSF just wants Apple to have to do it all alone -- without help
>   >from the supposed friends of FSF -- because Apple is actively working
>   >in court to prevent the Foundation from doing what it is chartered to
							      ^^^^^^^
Note the use of the word charter.  I refer to this and even though Len
asks me to reread this paragraph and does not object to gnu@toad using
the word charter, he strongly objects to my use of the word and follows
with insults.

>   >do.
>
>   You must have missed all of Stallman's postings.  He emphatically
>   prohibited Apple from posting any messages in this news group, even
>   though the postings were strictly in line with the charter of FSF.
>
>Huh, charter?  I'm a Director of FSF and I've never seen the FSF
>charter!  You must be referring to some mystical charter you've
>created in your head.  From mis-understandings of what the GNU Project
>has always been about.

I don't follow how you conclude that it must be a *mystical* charter
that I created in my head.  You are quick to insult me and attempt to
discredit my views.  I will not follow suit, but, rather explain my
position.  My understanding of your charter (and I don't mean that in
the literal sense of a written legal document, but, as a general goal
and purpose) is that FSF is providing *all* people with free software
that they may improve upon and likewise distribute freely.  I've
reached this conclusion from the manifesto and people in this group,
including Stallman.  If I have misunderstood something, I welcome you
to correct me, but, let's leave mysticism, name-calling and general
insults out of this discussion.

>   That is, David Berry, who works at Apple, announced that he ported gcc
>   to the Macintosh.  This entire discussion is a result of Stallman
>   implicitly changing the GNU Public License so that any organization
>   that does not succumb to his political beliefs or does not meet with
>   his ideals is not free to participate with FSF.
>
>False.  All rms asked was that info-gcc/gnu.gcc, a forum created and
>maintained by FSF, not be used to help Apple.  The forum exists to
>further the purposes of the GNU Project, not Apple's.  Apple can still
>use GNU software under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Not false.  The direct purpose of David Berry's posting was to inform
people about gcc, thus furthering the purposes of the GNU project.
Naturally, since the port is for an Apple platform, there is an
indirect benefit to Apple.  This is true for all ports and should not
be considered a form of advertisement.

>Why Apple?  Re-read gnu@toad.com first paragraph above.
>
>   >A lot of people think that FSF is there to provide them great software
>   >for free.  This is not true.
>
>   It is certainly clear now that this is not true.  Why not put the political
>   requirements in the charter?
>
>Again what charter?  The GNU Manifesto and GNU General Public License
>are both clear about this.  Both have been widely distributed.  Copies
>of both are available from gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu.  Why don't you read them.

I have just read them both.  I must have missed the *Apple* clause that
takes back the right of *some* people to participate in the GNU project
by decree of RMS!

>enjoy -len

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (06/13/89)

Oh, come on people!  Richard Stallman and the rest of the FSF people have
certain ideas about what the legal status of software should be.  In order to
advance their ideas, they distribute gnu software under certain conditions.  If
you don't like their ideas or their conditions, don't use the software.  That's
all there is to it.

   Robert

weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) (06/16/89)

>A lot of people think that FSF is there to provide them great software
>for free.  This is not true.  FSF is there to demonstrate that freedom
>allows and encourages people to produce great software.  The freedom
>comes first, not the software.

Hmmm.  This whole discussion, [argument, battle, war...] reminds me of
a quote from `City on the Edge of Forever,' where Kirk sits down for a
free meal from Joan Collins and the bum sitting next to him says (this
isn't verbatim, so those who have all the episodes memorized don't
call me on this one) "The food isn't free, the price is you have to
listen to her first."  Make your own analogy...  Too bad rms isn't as
pretty as Joan Collins...

If you need one:  :-)

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs | "Porsche:  Fahren in
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc |  seiner schoensten Form"