[net.games.rogue] wizards password

pace@othervax.UUCP (08/06/84)

(new improved bug killer)

It seems I've messed up (yet again).
I do NOT have the correct wizards password,
it's a long story but it turns out that the
one I have is not the right one (ie. it doesn't
work).
I apologise to those of you who wanted to know
what the password was and I'm sorry if I raised
any false hopes.
This was a genuine mistake on my part.

cheers.

ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/01/84)

Does anybody know what the wizards password is for any of these versions
of rogue..

rogue version 3.6
rogue version 5.2
rogue version 5.3
srogue (super-rogue) version 2.0
brogue

Please contact me if any of the above are known, also i know how to
get the prompt for almost all of the above versions...

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (01/08/85)

WE HAVE VERSION 5.3 HERE AT OUR UNIVERSITY BUT NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW WHAT THE
PEOPLE ON THE NET ARE SPEAKING ABOUT WHEN THEY TALK ABOUT THE WIZARD'S
PASSWORD.

1.)  COULD SOME ONE EXPLAIN WHAT THIS IS, OUR DOCUMENTATION IS NOT THAT GOOD.
2.)  HOW DO WE USE THIS?

                                               THANKS

"I MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU THINK, BUT I'M ALL I GOT!"

                                          Phil Ritzenthaler
                                         cbosgd!osu-eddie!bgsuvax

wrp@panda.UUCP (William R. Pelletier) (12/02/85)

what is the wizards password and what does it do???

ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/03/85)

In article <1153@panda.UUCP> wrp@panda.UUCP (William R. Pelletier) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>what is the wizards password and what does it do???

The only thing the wizards password does is lets the administrator or the
person who is updating the game play in a special mode which allows he/she
to find bugs.. Nothing really impressive unless you are into cheating.
--
       -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
       |   Ryan Ramsey    UCLA Computer Science Department        |

warren@ll-xn.ARPA (Warren Lavallee) (12/03/85)

In article <1153@panda.UUCP>, wrp@panda.UUCP (William R. Pelletier) writes:
> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
> what is the wizards password and what does it do???

     The wizard password is basically a password that allows
you to do things others normally can not do.  It varies from
rogue to rogue.  On some it allows you to play regardless of
what  the  load  average  is,  and  on most it allows you to
create objects, map levels, look and all the  monsters,  and
other fun stuff.

			- Warren Lavallee

rs@mirror.UUCP (12/04/85)

> What is the wizard's password and what does it do?

I have no idea what the password is.
Depending on the version of rogue you have, once you become "wizard"
you can do things like this:
	Create any object or monster
	Delete people from the topten list, or see their real login names
	Get a map of the floor
	Teleport at any time
	Get an inventory of everything on the level
	Get "help" (+8,+8 sword, 10 experience levels, food, etc.)
	See how much food you have left, in turns
	Identify anything you have
	Look at memory usage
	Peek at the random number generator
	Find your true location
Generally, once you've become wizard you won't be put in the top-ten list
(no doubt to avoid discouraging the underprivileged :-).  Also, some versions
(srogue 2.?, UltraRogue, etc.) have a "control" program so that in addition
to knowing the password, your UID must be recorded in an "authors" file.

In PC-Rogue, the password is a no-op.

--
Rich $alz	{mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube}!mirror!rs
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Avenue  Cambridge, MA, 02140

bob@security.UUCP (Bob Jordan) (12/04/85)

Also, (at least in rogue 3.6) when you go into wizard mode your score will not
be posted to the list of top scorers.
--
"OK guys.  Blues riff in B.  Watch me for the changes, and try to keep up."

  security!bob@mitre-bedford.ARPA                               (MIL)
 {allegra,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!security!bob     (UUCP)

mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (12/06/85)

> In article <1153@panda.UUCP> wrp@panda.UUCP (William R. Pelletier) writes:
> >
> >what is the wizards password and what does it do???
>
> The only thing the wizards password does is lets the administrator or the
> person who is updating the game play in a special mode which allows he/she
> to find bugs.. Nothing really impressive unless you are into cheating.

Ok... we know what it does, now what is it????
--
			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			...{ihnp4|akguc|attmail|indra!koura}!codas!mikel

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (12/13/85)

The last time I saw any wizard password, it was
'Yendor'.  There are some additional commands, which
if you can get into wizard mode, I might be able
to find out for you.

Andre' Hut                                      Network Research Corp.
ihnp4!nrcvax!nrcutah!andre                      923 Executive Park Drive Suite C
ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!nrcutah!andre               Salt Lake City, Utah 84121, U.S.A.
{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!nrcutah!andre    (801) 266-9194