[net.games.rogue] turned to stone

danny@sftig.UUCP (L.Rosler) (12/07/85)

     I just ended a game in which a ballisk turned me to stone.
  The confusion is that I was wearing a ring of sustain health.
  If this wont even protect you, what will?  You don't even get
  a chance to read any scroll or potion of cure disease or healing
  which won't do anything anyway.   HELP!

     Dan

 ihnp4!attunix!danny

bsw@cbosgd.UUCP (Ben Walls) (12/07/85)

In article <636@sftig.UUCP>, danny@sftig.UUCP (L.Rosler) writes:

>      I just ended a game in which a ballisk turned me to stone.
>   The confusion is that I was wearing a ring of sustain health.
>   If this wont even protect you, what will?  You don't even get
>   a chance to read any scroll or potion of cure disease or healing

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) (12/08/85)

<this line was turned to stone>

As far as I know of (in the versions in which I have used), there
is no way to "protect" from turning to stone.  Cockatrices will
turn you to stone, BUT ONLY IF THEY HIT you.  Probably the same
with basilisks.

hou2e!ksl

tedrick@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (12/08/85)

>     I just ended a game in which a ballisk turned me to stone.
>  The confusion is that I was wearing a ring of sustain health.
>  If this wont even protect you, what will?  You don't even get
>  a chance to read any scroll or potion of cure disease or healing
>  which won't do anything anyway.   HELP!

I had the same problem. It turns out a ring of protection will
prevent this. Also I use scrolls of genocide on Basilisks ...

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (12/08/85)

In article <636@sftig.UUCP> danny@sftig.UUCP (L.Rosler) writes:
>     I just ended a game in which a ballisk turned me to stone.
>  The confusion is that I was wearing a ring of sustain health.
>  If this wont even protect you, what will?  You don't even get
>  a chance to read any scroll or potion of cure disease or healing
>  which won't do anything anyway.   HELP!

the only thing that can stop you from being turned to stone is to be
prepared for it by quaffing a potion of phasing.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.

ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/09/85)

In article <11182@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>>     I just ended a game in which a ballisk turned me to stone.
>>  The confusion is that I was wearing a ring of sustain health.
>>  If this wont even protect you, what will?  You don't even get
>>  a chance to read any scroll or potion of cure disease or healing
>>  which won't do anything anyway.   HELP!
>
>I had the same problem. It turns out a ring of protection will
>prevent this. Also I use scrolls of genocide on Basilisks ...

What determines wheater or not you get turned to stone or just have paralysis?
Is it random or does it have something to do with Constitution?
--
       -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
       |   _R_y_a_n_ _R_a_m_s_e_y       _H_o_m_e_ _P_h_o_n_e- (213) 391-2888           |

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (12/10/85)

In article <7929@ucla-cs.ARPA> ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP (Ryan Ramsey) writes:
>>I had the same problem. It turns out a ring of protection will
>>prevent this. Also I use scrolls of genocide on Basilisks ...
>
>What determines wheater or not you get turned to stone or just have paralysis?
>Is it random or does it have something to do with Constitution?

wearing a ring of protection has no effect on turning to stone in
Advanced Rogue versions 2.0 and before.  in Ultrarogue, it also has no effect.

you have to make a saving throw against paralyzation.  this depends only on
your experience level.  if you fail it, there is a 3% chance that you
will be turned to stone instead of just being stiffened.

the only way to stop this is to have quaffed a potion of phasing or cast
a spell of phasing.  in AD&D, if you fail your saving throw, you die and
that's it for your character.

rwl@uvacs.UUCP (Ray Lubinsky) (12/13/85)

> As far as I know of (in the versions in which I have used), there
> is no way to "protect" from turning to stone.  Cockatrices will
> turn you to stone, BUT ONLY IF THEY HIT you.  Probably the same
> with basilisks.
>
> hou2e!ksl

True for cockatrices, but not for basilisks.  (I assume we're talking about
some variant on Advanced Rogue 1.0.)  They freeze you with their gaze, and
with some probability will petrify you.

Several times, I've frozen quartermasters with a blessed wand of slow monster
and spent a lot of turns stealing stuff from him until I've stocked my
character to the teeth with magic only to have him killed by the gaze of a
basilisk.  This happens so often that I get the feeling that the game is set
up to punish you for all that theft.

If your armor class is better than -10, the cockatrice can't touch you, but
there's no defense from being suprised by a basilisk.  This is the first
monster I eradicate once I get hold of a scroll of genocide.
--

Ray Lubinsky		     University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
			     uucp: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!rwl

danny@sftig.UUCP (L.Rosler) (12/15/85)

>      I just ended a game in which a ballisk turned me to stone.
>   The confusion is that I was wearing a ring of sustain health.
>   If this wont even protect you, what will?  You don't even get
>   a chance to read any scroll or potion of cure disease or healing
>   which won't do anything anyway.   HELP!
>
>      Dan
>
>  ihnp4!attunix!danny

     In response or developement of my original letter.  It seems I
  have run into a sadistic version of rogue; Advanced rogue 4.5.
  Here is the scene.  A ring of illumination and sustain health,
  23 strength, 22 const., 18 dexterity, 130 hp. and an armor class
  of -10.  I also had some other neat stuff.  Okay, level 24, just
  killed a Bone Devil (B) and I run into another B.  I run past it
  because it was sleeping but it awakened.  Next thing I read is that
  a basillisk has turned me to stone!  Is this a major bug or a cruel
  way to cut off one's ego.

   Dan Rosler
   ihnp4!attunix!danny

 Discaimer: These are the opinions of Big Brother.