[gnu.gcc] Gnu on Sun386

mthome@bbn.com (Mike Thome) (07/01/89)

I'm at Witt's End - gotta question for all you Gnuru's out there:

I've been trying to install Gobs of Gnu Stuff on a Sun386 (you can
already hear it coming, no?).  I apparently can install GCC without
too much effort, but the file-name-too-long AS bug keeps biting me,
making all sorts of stuff uncompilable without moving things around.
So, obvious solution is to use GAS (which apparently requires using
the other bingnutils)... GAS compiles ok, but much of the other stuff
doesn't (with any of the obvious combinations of -Dxxx compile
options).  LD is one of the ones which will compile (pretending that
the SUN is a COFF/USG/etc system)... installing GAS and gnuLD with the
"fixed" libraries for use by GCC completely breaks GCC (will not
compile anything).  So much for context...

Question: if there is anyone out there who has successfully
installed/used on a sun386 w/SunOS 4.x some combination of
(1) GCC (avoiding the filename bug), (2) GAS and associates, and (3)
G++, I would very much like to hear precisely how you did it.

thanks much,
	-mik (mthome@{thalamus.bu.edu,bbn.com})

ggreen@cod.NOSC.MIL (George W. Green) (07/06/89)

In article <42228@bbn.COM> mthome@bbn.com (Mike Thome) writes:

>Question: if there is anyone out there who has successfully
>installed/used on a sun386 w/SunOS 4.x some combination of
>(1) GCC (avoiding the filename bug), (2) GAS and associates, and (3)
>G++, I would very much like to hear precisely how you did it.

I would like to hear that as well.

George Green, ggreen@nosc.mil

nate@hobbes.intel.com (Nate Hess) (07/07/89)

In article <1571@cod.NOSC.MIL>, ggreen@cod (George W. Green) writes:
>In article <42228@bbn.COM> mthome@bbn.com (Mike Thome) writes:

>>Question: if there is anyone out there who has successfully
>>installed/used on a sun386 w/SunOS 4.x some combination of
>>(1) GCC (avoiding the filename bug), (2) GAS and associates, and (3)
>>G++, I would very much like to hear precisely how you did it.

>I would like to hear that as well.

GCC 1.35 installs right out of the box.  I can't get either (2) or (3)
to work, however.

Send me mail if you're having trouble with GCC installation on the 386i,
and I can let you know if you're doing anything differently than I am.

--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@hobbes.intel.com   ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!nate