[net.games.rogue] Urogue seems too arbitrary

ded@milo.UUCP (Don E. Davis) (12/09/85)

I've recently been playing the urogue written by Herb Chong.  It
has many nice attributes which I find interesting, but one
which spoils the game for me.  That one is:  You have been summoned
by the lesser god something-or-other; you are terrified; now hit your
space key until you die.  You might as well say:  you're doing too
good; you die.

This is not fun.  I have no chance to react, to drop my scare monster scrolls
or quaff a potion of hero.  Is this arbitrary death a "feature?"
Or is there something I can do to avoid it?

				don davis

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (12/11/85)

In article <179@milo.UUCP> ded@milo.UUCP (Don E. Davis) writes:
>I've recently been playing the urogue written by Herb Chong.  It
>has many nice attributes which I find interesting, but one
>which spoils the game for me.  That one is:  You have been summoned
>by the lesser god something-or-other; you are terrified; now hit your
>space key until you die.  You might as well say:  you're doing too
>good; you die.
>
>This is not fun.  I have no chance to react, to drop my scare monster scrolls
>or quaff a potion of hero.  Is this arbitrary death a "feature?"
>Or is there something I can do to avoid it?

you haven't thought carefully enough about what is happening:
1) you notice that the monsters are from a much deeper level of the
dungeon than the level number indicates (about 3 times, in fact).
2) the particular monsters you ran into terrified you or other such nasty
things AND there were a lot of them.  you may have noticed that you were
completely surrounded

there are three conditions for being summoned:
1) 1 in 100,000 turns totally at random (i.e. about once in every
120 levels into the dungeon, or about once a game)
2) a possible effect of misactivation of an artifact
3) possible while going upwards through a stairwell while carrying an artifact

i know of at least two total winners (carrying all 8 artifacts) and a lot
of people getting killed on the way back up.  i'm one, but that's not
surprising since i do know the code very well.
in my opinion, since i have not even come close to being a total winner at any
other version of rogue, urogue is too easy.  the next version will be harder.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.

mcooper@oberon.UUCP (Michael Cooper) (12/13/85)

In article <179@milo.UUCP> ded@milo.UUCP (Don E. Davis) writes:
>I've recently been playing the urogue written by Herb Chong.  It
>has many nice attributes which I find interesting, but one
>which spoils the game for me.  That one is:  You have been summoned
>by the lesser god something-or-other; you are terrified; now hit your
>space key until you die.  You might as well say:  you're doing too
>good; you die.
>
>This is not fun.  I have no chance to react, to drop my scare monster scrolls
>or quaff a potion of hero.  Is this arbitrary death a "feature?"
>Or is there something I can do to avoid it?
>
>                               don davis

The "throne room" as it is called is used to help discourage total winners.
There is a random change of something like 1 in 99,999 of being summoned
to it while proceeding down into the dungeon by just moving around.
On the way back up, there is a slight chance or running into a throne
room trap that sends you to a throne room, and something like a 1 in 15
chance of being summoned when going up a staircase.

                                        mike
| Michael Cooper                    UUCP: ...!{uscvax, sdcrdcf, engvax,       |
| University Computing Services             scgvaxd, smeagol}!oberon!mcooper  |
| University of Southern Cal.     BITNET: mcooper@uscvaxq, mcooper@jaxom      |
| Los Angeles, Ca.   90089-0251     ARPA: mcooper@usc-oberon.arpa,            |
| (213) 743-3462                          mcooper@usc-eclc.arpa               |

ded@milo.UUCP (Don E. Davis) (12/16/85)

I complained about urogue being too arbitrary.  In particular,
I mentioned the problem with being summoned by a lesser god
and killed outright without an opportunity to react.

Herb Chong replied:

>you haven't thought carefully enough about what is happening:
>1) you notice that the monsters are from a much deeper level of the
>dungeon than the level number indicates (about 3 times, in fact).
>2) the particular monsters you ran into terrified you or other such nasty
>things AND there were a lot of them.  you may have noticed that you were
>completely surrounded
>
>there are three conditions for being summoned:
>1) 1 in 100,000 turns totally at random (i.e. about once in every
>120 levels into the dungeon, or about once a game)
>2) a possible effect of misactivation of an artifact
>3) possible while going upwards through a stairwell while carrying an artifact

Then he goes on to say that he doesn't think the game is too
hard; in fact the next time around he will make it harder.

Apparently Herb missed by point.  I don't mind the game begin hard.
A hard game makes a good game.  What I object to is a random death
totally out of my control.  I was summoned by a lesser god
and just hit my space key until I died.  Not because I had done
anything wrong, but because there was a random chance this would
happen.  Arbitrary deaths detract from a game.  Instead of wasting
my time with 30 hits of the space key, why don't you just
put up a message saying "You're dead," and core dump.