[gnu.gcc] Don't start passing around pretest versions

rms%wheaties.ai.mit.EDU@RELAY.CS.NET (07/11/89)

1.35.92 is a pretest version.  It is not reliable!
It is also obsolete.

Inviting the general public to copy and use a pretest version is doing
no service to most of the readers who might act on the invitation.

I urge you not to copy pretest versions unless you want to be a
pretester.  And if you do want to pretest, you should pretest the
latest thing, not waste time on an old version.  Send me a message if
you want to be on the pretest list.  To do useful pretesting, you need
to be able to compile some large programs and debug them if they do
not work.

jonathan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (07/11/89)

I would like very much to be on the pretest list.

--Jonathan.

jdchrist@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Dan Christensen) (07/11/89)

In article <8907102349.AA00313@spica> rms%wheaties.ai.mit.EDU@relay.cs.net writes:
>1.35.92 is a pretest version.  It is not reliable!
>It is also obsolete.
>
>Inviting the general public to copy and use a pretest version is doing
>no service to most of the readers who might act on the invitation.
>
>I urge you not to copy pretest versions unless you want to be a
>pretester.

What is the latest version and from where can it be obtained?

----
Dan Christensen, Computer Graphics Lab,	         jdchrist@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont.	         jdchrist@watcgl.waterloo.edu

tower@AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (07/12/89)

   Date: 11 Jul 89 03:44:18 GMT
   From: watmath!watcgl!jdchrist@uunet.uu.net  (Dan Christensen)

   What is the latest version and from where can it be obtained?

The latest released version is 1.35.  It's on prep.ai.mit.edu and the
other usual ftp and uucp distribution sites.

If you want the latest pretest version, you need to send mail to
rms@prep.ai.mit.edu and offer to join the pre-testers.  Tell him what
machine and system you will be testing on, and what large programs you
are willing to test and debug gcc against with a quick turn around.
If you aren't on the NSF/APRA Internet, let him know what arrangments
you have made to get the pretest versions in a timely fashion.

Sorry to be repetitive, but some people appear to need things said
again (in a different way) to understand.

enjoy -len