[gnu.gcc] Gnu C Compiler for 80960CA

rlambert@HPQTDLA.SQF.HP.COM (R. Lambert) (10/04/89)

I require information on the availability of a GNU C
compiler for the Intel 80960CA.

A compiler exists for the 80960KA, as does the debugger.

For my fourth year university project, I propose the
development of the gnu C compiler and dubugger for the
new 80960CA, but do not want to develop a tool already
in existance.

Any information will be gratefuly accepted.

  Robert.    rlambert@hpsq.hp.com

tjb@tadtec.uucp (Tim Bissell) (10/06/89)

> I require information on the availability of a GNU C
> compiler for the Intel 80960CA.
> I propose the development of the gnu C compiler and debugger
> debugger [ ... ] but do not want to develop a tool already in
> existence.

I have a copy of a port of gcc, gas, gld, gdb plus a lot of GNU
utilities for the 80960CA written by Intel, so I would not bother
if I were you.  If you want a copy, you can send a QIC to the
address in my signature and I will write it on a Sun 3/60, or my
Tadpole 68030 system with Tandberg 3620 drive.

Also, somebody asked earlier about anyone thinking of doing a 68040
back end.  I am just about to start hacking a -m{c}68040 switch into our
trusty Gcc 1.34 port, so any hints, tips etc. would be appreciated.  When
I am happy with my work I will fit it onto a copy of the latest version of
Gcc that I have (currently 1.36) and send it to any interested parties
(rms?).

Tim

Tim Bissell                | ( tjb@tadtec.UUCP || {...!mc*!ukc!tadtec!tjb )
Tadpole Techonology plc    |         #include <std_disclaimer>
Titan House, Castle Park   | ...Faster and faster until the thrill of speed
Cambridge CB3 0AY  ENGLAND | overcomes the fear of the cost of new tyres...
--

mcg@mipon2.intel.com (Steven McGeady) (10/19/89)

In article <TJB.89Oct6113449@tadtec.uucp>, tjb@tadtec.uucp (Tim Bissell)
writes:

> > I require information on the availability of a GNU C
> > compiler for the Intel 80960CA.
> > I propose the development of the gnu C compiler and debugger
> > debugger [ ... ] but do not want to develop a tool already in
> > existence.
>
> I have a copy of a port of gcc, gas, gld, gdb plus a lot of GNU
> utilities for the 80960CA written by Intel, so I would not bother
> if I were you.  If you want a copy, you can send a QIC to the
> address in my signature and I will write it on a Sun 3/60, or my
> Tadpole 68030 system with Tandberg 3620 drive.
>
> Tim Bissell                | ( tjb@tadtec.UUCP || {...!mc*!ukc!tadtec!tjb )
> Tadpole Techonology plc    |         #include <std_disclaimer>

I am the person who has implemented GCC for the Intel 960CA, with help
from Glenn Colon-Bonet
and Jonathan Shapiro.  We have gcc 1.36 for the 960, gdb960 (based on
something around 2.8),
gas, gld, and all the other tools, plus a download monitor that gdb
works with (over a serial line).
These were ported and retargeted by Chris Benenati.  I have offered it
to FSF several times, and
Mr. Stallman and I are now in communication about folding a few base
changes of the compiler back
into the next release.  In the meantime, I can make the diffs available
to the net (they are *very* minor) along with the machine description,
and can put the rest of the tools on someone's willing ftp host for
anonymous ftp.  Intel will, in about a month, make the GNU960 tools
available as a "product" at
approximately our cost, $200, with full source code on the same tape as
the binaries.  We'll also
be including a true public domain C library done by Patrick van Kleef,
Fred Fish, C.E. Chew, and others.

I am interested in talking to anyone who has interest in working on the
960 tools.  I can supply
qualified developers with eval/demo boards and other things.  Intel,
though we sell our own compilers,
believe that the GNU tools are a valuable addition to the marketplace.

Please feel free to contact me at 'mcg@mipon2.intel.com' or (503)
696-4393 (where you'll probably
have to leave a message on my trusty phonemail system).

S. McGeady