[gnu.gcc] GCC on 386 PCs

streich@tigger.colorado.edu (Mark Streich) (01/02/90)

Is there a version of GCC running on 386 PCs?  And if so, which UNIX are
you using?  (e.g., XENIX, Interactive, etc.)

Thanks.

Mark Streich
streich@tigger.colorado.edu

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (01/06/90)

In article <15288@boulder.Colorado.EDU>
streich@tigger.colorado.edu (Mark Streich) writes:
>Is there a version of GCC running on 386 PCs?  And if so, which UNIX are
>you using?  (e.g., XENIX, Interactive, etc.)

I've been using gcc for some time with microport unix 386 (3.0e).
I don't have the source: I obtained the binary from John Plocher
at uport but got it via floppy and so didn't have room for the
source.  I've had it about a year, I think: I'm sure it's not the
most recent version, and I don't know how much work it was
to make it run on the 386.  The version I have works quite well.
Rarely there's code that requires cc to compile.  There are
one or two identifiable bugs in this version.  As I recall
it fails to handle expressions that combine int and char variables;
you have to write i=c and then use i (which it does fine).
Casting the char does not work.

I would expect this version to work with any unix 386.
It must be around 600 Mb in overall size.
--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840