[net.games.rogue] Beginner's question

krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) (01/04/86)

A question from a novice, in case anyone out there is listening:

In early rounds and often later one sees a supposedly completed
level with dead-end passages leading up to a blank space which
is shaped suspiciously like a room.  Are these blocked rooms or
dead spaces always? If the former, how do you reach them?

Also, it isn't fair that some games starve you to death through
no fault of your own.

- Michael Krantz

- - - - -

"The text reveals the process of its own production."

dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) (01/21/86)

> A question from a novice, in case anyone out there is listening:
>
> In early rounds and often later one sees a supposedly completed
> level with dead-end passages leading up to a blank space which
> is shaped suspiciously like a room.  Are these blocked rooms or
> dead spaces always? If the former, how do you reach them?
>
> Also, it isn't fair that some games starve you to death through
> no fault of your own.
>
> - Michael Krantz

Yes, occasionally there is a room there, but as often, there is not.

A good thing to do, is if you need some healing (thaty takes time) go to
hat dead end and spend the time searching. Quite often this produces
results.

Also, you could try searching the walls of nearby rooms (visible ones),
especially if a monster just came from that direction.

Good luck.

						Gryphon

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (01/22/86)

     If any expert players are out there listening, please help.

     How do I (reliably) survive the lower-numbered levels?  I wander
about, picking up scrolls and potions and food and whatnot, and killing
monsters, but as soon as I start to get into higher-numbered levels I
am quickly wiped out by Quaggas and various others.

     And, is there any way to get around the nasty fact that the game
deliberately uses new names for everything (so that I can use my previous
knowledge of scrolls and potions, etc.)?  This bothers me even more than
the fact that there is no food on the higher-numbered levels, as I have
to experiment to learn anything *in every game*.

     Finally, is there any way to restore strength other than drinking the
potion (if I've been lucky enough to find one...) ?

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (01/28/86)

In article <169@ulowell.UUCP> dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) writes:
>... you could try searching the walls of nearby rooms (visible ones),
>especially if a monster just came from that direction.

I don't know about what weird version you're playing, but in our
version monsters don't pass through secret doors until you open them.
However, they do sometimes just appear out of nowhere while you're not
in the room.

--

 /''`\						Andre Guirard
([]-[])						De Tuss from de Tonn

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (01/28/86)

   Many a person may answer this but...

>      How do I (reliably) survive the lower-numbered levels?  I wander
> about, picking up scrolls and potions and food and whatnot, and killing
> monsters, but as soon as I start to get into higher-numbered levels I
> am quickly wiped out by Quaggas and various others.

   Sometimes you have to run.  Wait 'til Trolls and the like.

>      And, is there any way to get around the nasty fact that the game
> deliberately uses new names for everything (so that I can use my previous
> knowledge of scrolls and potions, etc.)?  This bothers me even more than
> the fact that there is no food on the higher-numbered levels, as I have
> to experiment to learn anything *in every game*.

   This is what makes the game difficult.  Wouldn't it become too easy
   (too fast) if you could just memorize the names?  (If I understand your
   question correctly.)

>      Finally, is there any way to restore strength other than drinking the
> potion (if I've been lucky enough to find one...) ?

   Sorry, but you can only restore strength by quaffing a potion.  You just have
to be lucky enough to quaff one of those before you waste a gain strength potion.

   Note: I am answering based on my knowledge of the versions of the game I have
played and am sorry if I answered incorrectly for a particular version.

						Paul Meyerhofer

djsalomon@watrose.UUCP (Daniel J. Salomon) (01/29/86)

> Also, it isn't fair that some games starve you to death through
> no fault of your own.
>
> - Michael Krantz

Actually food management can be a big part of playing the game.  When
you are running low on food, you should cut down on your usage of the
"s" command (search).  You should also try to explore rooms in as few
moves as possible, and plan your dungeon exploration to minimize the
amount of backtracking along tunnels, and the number of rooms you have
to revisit.  A technique used by a friend of mine was to eat only when
weak rather than as soon as he was hungry.  I don't know whether this
actually reduced his food consumption or not.

stivers@oswego.UUCP (Jim Stivers ) (02/18/86)

In article <531@well.UUCP> rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) writes:

>     If any expert players are out there listening, please help.
>
>     How do I (reliably) survive the lower-numbered levels?
>     And, is there any way to get around the nasty fact that the game
>deliberately uses new names for everything (so that I can use my previous
>knowledge of scrolls and potions, etc.)?  This bothers me even more than
>the fact that there is no food on the higher-numbered levels, as I have
>to experiment to learn anything *in every game*.
>
>     Finally, is there any way to restore strength other than drinking the
>potion (if I've been lucky enough to find one...) ?

	I don't know if one would call me an expert rogue player but I have
  got the two highest scores played by man (Rogomatic has one of my scores
  beat). I have advanced as far as the 18th level of the dungeon and have
  scored as high as 4500. Anyways onward to the questions ...

	1) There is no safe way to survive the lower levels, except for
  common sense about running away from things when you have few hit points.
  Its better to go down a level than to stay on the same level and get killed!
  I find the f/F keys helpful in defeating monsters rather than repeatedly
  hitting a direction key.

	2) Every game creates new names for all scrolls and potions its part
  of the game there is no getting around it that I know of. As far as food
  thats true the game gets rather stingy about giving you any past level 6.
  Hopefully by that time you might have accumulated as many as 4+ food rations
  to help you in your quest to reach the lowest level.

	3) Sorry, the ONLY way to restore your strength is to quaff the potion
  that restores your strength. To temporarily restore SOME of your strength
  there are some rings and potions of gain strength(usually 1pt). However the
  LOWEST that my strength has ever dropped to was 3.

	I hope that these are helpful in your pursuit of becoming a ROGUEMASTER!

		Sincerely,
	Oswego's ONLY ROGUEMASTER
 	  	Jim Stivers.
: