[gnu.gcc] g++ 1.36.1 info in troff man format

gerry%seq1.keele.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK ("G.D.Pratt") (01/15/90)

Hi,
I know the quick answer to this might be "why don't YOU do it"
but does anyone have any GNU documentation in troff "man"
format for online use. I've just installed all of the latest
releases of GNU software (gcc/g++/gawk/bison/gas etc) and
they are being used so much that I am besieged for documentation
in the absence of manual pages - this is mostly for g++.
I have manual pages for bison and gcc.

So if anyone has look at this, or has a texinfo to man filter,
would they let me know.

cheers,
gerry

gerry pratt - workstation support - university of keele
email: gerry@uk.ac.keele.seq1 * tel: 0782 621111 x 3290

icsu6000@caesar (Jaye Mathisen) (01/16/90)

In article <18697.9001151248@uk.ac.keele.seq1> gerry%seq1.keele.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK ("G.D.Pratt") writes:
>Hi,
>
>So if anyone has look at this, or has a texinfo to man filter,
>would they let me know.

You could try texi2roff, available on prep.ai.mit.edu. (and other places).

I use it to kick out -ms versions of the documentation.  I think it has
switches for mm, and me formats also.  Somebody was working on texi2roff
version 2, and was looking for beta-testers a while back, but I haven't
heard anything since.  The current version works OK for me.
| Jaye Mathisen,systems manager       Internet: icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu|
| 410 Roberts Hall                      BITNET: icsu6000@mtsunix1.bitnet      |
| Dept. of Computer Science	                                              |

rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) (01/17/90)

In article <2998@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu6000@caesar (Jaye Mathisen) writes:

   In article <18697.9001151248@uk.ac.keele.seq1> gerry%seq1.keele.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK ("G.D.Pratt") writes:
   >So if anyone has look at this, or has a texinfo to man filter,
   >would they let me know.

   You could try texi2roff, available on prep.ai.mit.edu. (and other places).

And the version on prep is usually the lastest version.  There is also
rumoured to be a standalone info viewer but whether that is under
development or just thought/design is unclear.

I presume you know that texinfo can be turned into either TeX or info,
yes?  Well, then, know that info can pretty much be printed as is.  I
mean, you loose all the nice formatting, and page breaks are pretty
weird, but it beats the hell out of reading TeX or troff source.

erlebach@cs.toronto.edu (Beverly Erlebacher) (01/17/90)

In article <18697.9001151248@uk.ac.keele.seq1> gerry%seq1.keele.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK ("G.D.Pratt") writes:
>does anyone have any GNU documentation in troff "man"
>format for online use. ... I am besieged for documentation
>in the absence of manual pages - this is mostly for g++.
>
>So if anyone has look at this, or has a texinfo to man filter,
>would they let me know.

Someone suggested you use texi2roff, which will translate Texinfo to
troff with -ms, -me or -mm macros.  Check out the man(1) and catman(8)
unix commands.  They have the little-known property of formatting text
with your choice of macro package, using the -T option.

Of course, this doesn't give you a unix-style man page, but rather a
gnu-style manual.  The process of extracting the approximately 1% synopsis
suitable for a unix man page from a large gnu manual is an AI problem not
likely to be solved in the foreseeable future.   The two types of document
have different purposes.

Release 2.0 of texi2roff has been ready for some time.  If I don't get it
out this week, I'll do so after Usenix.  It will be available for ftp on
this machine (neat.cs.toronto.edu [128.100.1.65]) and prep.ai.mit.edu.
It will also be posted to comp.sources.unix.

Beverly Erlebacher	uunet!utai!erlebach	erlebach@cs.toronto.edu