[gnu.gcc] develoment tools for GCC hacking?

wilson@carcoar.Stanford.EDU (Paul Wilson) (02/26/90)

Are there any tools available for mucking around the insides of GCC?
For example, I'd like an RTL reader so that I can dump RTL, edit it
by hand, load it back into GCC and continue compiling.

This would be very handy for experimenting with dataflow, CSE, and the
clever use of the REG_NOTES facility.

Thanks prematurely,

    Paul

Paul R. Wilson
Software Systems Laboratory               lab ph.: (312) 996-9216
U. of Illin. at C. EECS Dept. (M/C 154)   wilson@bert.eecs.uic.edu
Box 4348   Chicago,IL 60680

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb26.023313.28839@Neon.Stanford.EDU> wilson@carcoar.Stanford.EDU (Paul Wilson) writes:

>Are there any tools available for mucking around the insides of GCC?
>For example, I'd like an RTL reader so that I can dump RTL, edit it
>by hand, load it back into GCC and continue compiling.
>
>This would be very handy for experimenting with dataflow, CSE, and the
>clever use of the REG_NOTES facility.

Well, you can certainly get RTL dumps, the problem is reading it back in.

I vaguely recall that somebody once claimed to be working on an "RTL-frontend"
for GCC, but I don't know what became of that project.  It would certainly
appaer to be a simple thing to build.

// rfg