[soc.culture.arabic] Biblical Trinity is shirk

gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) (03/15/90)

[this discussion is much more appropriate to soc.religion.islam
 than soc.culture.arabic.  I am directing followups to that
 newsgroup]

In article <18850@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> bakken@megaron.cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:
>But we need to apply Occam's razor to my earlier question.  Do not
>confuse the issue of whether Jesus is a member of the Trinity.  My
>question was more general: what are the Qur'anic, hadithal (if thats
>a word :-), and/or historical reasons for Muslims disagreeing with
>the doctrine of the Trinity.  This was a sincere question by which
>I hoped to learn more about what Muslims believe and why they do.

I have provided several references from the Quran in soc.religion.islam
for Muslims rejecting the Trinity.  I am no historian, and I can only
speculate at best.  My opinion, for what it is worth, is that Muslims
tend to be interested in straightforward answers.  If you will excuse
me for saying so, without all the associated superstition, the mystery
of the Trinity is a simple contradiction.

This given, with the totally human nature of Jesus in the Quran, as
well as the supernatural but non-divine nature of the Holy Ghost, is
enough to make Muslims reject the Trinity.

gwydion@tavi.rice.edu (Basalat Ali Raja) (03/20/90)

In article <18850@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> bakken@megaron.cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:

>question was more general: what are the Qur'anic, hadithal (if thats
>a word :-), and/or historical reasons for Muslims disagreeing with
>the doctrine of the Trinity.

I might continue on the discussion that has been going on.  I believe
the question has been raised that the Quran might not be opposed to
the Trinity.  This depends on the definition of the Trinity.  Consider
the following verse [Shakir Translation].

[5:73] Certainly they disbelieve who say: Surely Allah is the third
(person) of the three; and there is no god but the one God, and if
they desist not from what they say, a painful chastisement shall
befall those among them who disbeleive.

I believe it has been pointed out that the Trinity does not refer
to three gods, but rather to One God in different forms.  It *might*
then be possible to say that the above verse does not refer to many
Christians.  However, let us consider the following verse:

[4:171] O followers of the Book! do not exceeed the limits in your
religion, and do not speak (lies)  against Allah, but (speak) the
truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only an Apostle of Allah
and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him;
believe therefore in Allah and His apostles, and say not, Three.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one God, far be it from
His glory that He should have a son; whatever is in the heavens and
whatever is in the earth is His; and Allah is sufficient for a
Protector.

One can define the Trinity as three distinct gods, one god in three
distinct forms, one god in one form which manifested himself in three
ways etc.

However, whenever the concept of three enters the equation, one will
find oneself in opposition to the Quran.  This is an absolutely
uncompromising rejection of the Trinity in any recognizable form.

It is interesting to note that the word Trinity is mentioned only once
in the Bible and the Quran - that is in the above verse.

Also, in reference to Jesus being the only begotten son of god:
Chapter 112: The Unity
1) Say: He, Allah, is One.
2) Allah is He on Whom all depend.
3) He begets not, nor is He begotten.
4) And none is like Him.

Again, this is a rejection of Jesus as being the only begotten son
of God.  It seems that the word "begotten" has also been removed
from newer editions of the Bible, in certain cases, as it was not
in the original texts.

In both cases, there seems to be enough reasons based on the Quran
to reject the Trinity.