[net.games.rogue] rogue

dave (10/08/82)

There is a feature in rogue which I consider to be a bug.
Once you have called, say, a scroll, something, it won't prompt
you again when you use it. But I want to be able to record on
scrolls when I pick them up that they are not scare monster, if
I know that for sure. (That way, when I get around to reading
scrolls later, I read the ones called "NOT SCARE MONSTER" first,
so I can avoid reading a scare monster by accident.)
Is there any way to call a scroll something and still be able
to rename it later? If it's not in your pack, 'c' won't work
afterwards.

emrath (10/10/82)

#R:utcsrgv:-59400:uiucdcs:9500043:000:184
uiucdcs!emrath    Oct 10 00:05:00 1982

Along the same lines, you would like to call individual items,
such as a +n ring of add strength, without having all rings of that
type (e.g. germanium) called a +n ring of something.

ARPAVAX:arnold (10/11/82)

It would be nice to be able to call an individual ring soething
without labeling all the other rings of that type.  This would
require two different 'call' commands, one for individual items
and one for classes of items.  That's on the design board, and
may come with 5.3.

However, I know of no obvious way to be able to distinguish between
a name of the sort "not a scare monster" and "is this gold detect?",
in order to solve the problem of wanting to call a scroll something
after reading it when you have called it something before.  It would
be a pain to continually have to re-call a scroll you have identified.
The only suggestion I have is to call it something unique before reading
it so you can recognize it again.  This, hoever, requires the use of the
dread pencil and paper.
		Ken

kos (10/13/82)

#R:utcsrgv:-59400:uiucdcs:9500050:000:187
uiucdcs!kos    Oct 12 20:10:00 1982

Well, how about this:  you could have a command (say, "C") that reads
a list of names of things you have already "c"alled, and allows you
to change any of the names.  Maybe for 5.3, Ken?

sst (12/19/82)

 I am able to play and under stand rogue but i am just a beginner and any
help would be nice!
                                                                                                                                                                                  sst
'              Steve Ties

nelson@ssc-vax.UUCP (Paul W. Nelson) (12/25/83)

Subject: Games
Newsgroups: Games/rogue

How does one win at ROGUE without cheating?  I've played quite
a while and never got above 5000 points until I munged around
with a debugger.  Needless to say, there many ways to change the
code, but that gets boring.  Can anyone give me a winning strategy
that I can use without cheating?

					  Paul Nelson
					  Boeing
					  Kent, WA

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (04/11/85)

Are there any sources available from anywhere for rogue or rogue-like
games? Also...does anyone know if rogue is available for other than UNIX
computers, such as the IBM PC, and from whom?

		Please reply via mail.
				Jim Scardelis

richard@dartvax.UUCP (Richard A. Brown) (05/05/85)

[]
Hello,
  If anyone still has a copy, I'd like a listing of all the
monsters and their hit points, as well as weapon stats that
was posted last year, or any reasonable facsimlie.
  Thanx,
  Richard Brown

--
   -----------

*	Richard Brown          | ..{decvax,linus,cornell}!dartvax!richard
*	Dartmouth College      | richard@dartvax

"Flattery is the art of telling someone exactly what he thinks of himself"

rob@osiris.UUCP (Robert St. Amant) (05/07/85)

Richard Brown writes:

> Hello,
>   If anyone still has a copy, I'd like a listing of all the
> monsters and their hit points, as well as weapon stats that
> was posted last year, or any reasonable facsimlie.

Please post it to the net, rather than using mail, since I'd like
to see it, too.

Here's something interesting.  I was trapped in a corridor between
two centaurs (I'd read aggravate monsters) with a line of monsters
behind at least one of them.  I was down to 1 hp, and as a move of
desperation I read an unidentified scroll.  The response was:
"You hear a small cry of anguish in the distance"  and I died.  You
can guess what had happened, and my reaction.  Afterwards, I was
nothing but impressed.  (I love this game!)

				Rob St. Amant

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/11/85)

In article <310@osiris.UUCP> rob@osiris.UUCP (Robert St. Amant) writes:
>Richard Brown writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>   If anyone still has a copy, I'd like a listing of all the
>> monsters and their hit points, as well as weapon stats that
>> was posted last year, or any reasonable facsimlie.
>
>Please post it to the net, rather than using mail, since I'd like
>to see it, too.
>
>Here's something interesting.  I was trapped in a corridor between
>two centaurs (I'd read aggravate monsters) with a line of monsters
>behind at least one of them.  I was down to 1 hp, and as a move of
>desperation I read an unidentified scroll.  The response was:
>"You hear a small cry of anguish in the distance"  and I died.  You
>can guess what had happened, and my reaction.  Afterwards, I was
>nothing but impressed.  (I love this game!)
>
>				Rob St. Amant

remember to state clearly which version of rogue these monsters are for.
there are enough variations on the same monsters to make this necessary.

the scroll that was read was a scroll of create monster.  since there
was no space next to you to place one, it was put in a random room
on the level.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/14/85)

In article <1367@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) writes:
>In article <310@osiris.UUCP> rob@osiris.UUCP (Robert St. Amant) writes:
>>Richard Brown writes:
>>
>>                           ...I was down to 1 hp, and as a move of
>>desperation I read an unidentified scroll.  The response was:
>>"You hear a small cry of anguish in the distance"  and I died.
>
>the scroll that was read was a scroll of create monster.  since there
>was no space next to you to place one, it was put in a random room
>on the level.
>
>Herb Chong...

Doesn't this mean that it wasn't created at all?  (I.e., created in a
wall since there were no non-wall, non-adjacent squares, and hence killed
immediately (flesh doesn't like to coexist with stone :-), giving the
small cry of anguish).  Not that it matters much one way or another.

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    SPUDNET: ...eye%srt@russet.spud

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (05/15/85)

Several rogue players have recently become part of the network. We would
be very interested in seeing some of the old discussions and ideas
pertaining to the game of rogue. In particular, helpful hints would be
appreciated. We have version 5.2 (mctesq was here).
     There have been several *total winners* during the past year. This
seems like a major accomplishment judging from how infrequently we win.
Do you agree or are ther people out there who win regularly?
     Thanks.

lauran@reed.UUCP (Laura Nepveu) (05/15/85)

>Here's something interesting.  I was trapped in a corridor between
>two centaurs (I'd read aggravate monsters) with a line of monsters
>behind at least one of them.  I was down to 1 hp, and as a move of
>desperation I read an unidentified scroll.  The response was:
>"You hear a small cry of anguish in the distance"  and I died.  You
>can guess what had happened, and my reaction.  Afterwards, I was
>nothing but impressed.  (I love this game!)
>
>				Rob St. Amant

	What did happen???--we don't have that reponse in our
version.

				Laura Nepveu

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/18/85)

In article <5414@ucla-cs.ARPA> srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
>Doesn't this mean that it wasn't created at all?  (I.e., created in a
>wall since there were no non-wall, non-adjacent squares, and hence killed
>immediately (flesh doesn't like to coexist with stone :-), giving the
>small cry of anguish).  Not that it matters much one way or another.

to correct a small point, yes, you're right.  i went in wizard mode and
checked and sure enough, no monster.  not that it matters a whole lot,
but there's not another monster to beat on you.

Herb...

arash@jendeh.UUCP (Arash Farmanfarmaian) (05/19/85)

> >Here's something interesting.  I was trapped in a corridor between
> >two centaurs (I'd read aggravate monsters) with a line of monsters
> >behind at least one of them.  I was down to 1 hp, and as a move of
> >desperation I read an unidentified scroll.  The response was:
> >"You hear a small cry of anguish in the distance"  and I died.  You
> >can guess what had happened, and my reaction.  Afterwards, I was
> >nothing but impressed.  (I love this game!)
> >
> >				Rob St. Amant
>
> 	What did happen???--we don't have that reponse in our
> version.
>
> 				Laura Nepveu

    The scroll was a 'create monster' scroll. The message differs
    from the usual because there was not enough room to create
    the monster next to you; thus it was created in a nearby room
    (hence the cry 'in the distance').

__

Arash Farmanfarmaian
...!allegra!princeton!jendeh!arash

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (05/20/85)

In my humble opinion being a total winner is a rare occurence.  It happens
almost exclusively to people who have played enough rogue to a) learn to
not make any stupid mistakes and b) get lucky (with the game essentially
controlled by a RNG winning is ultimately determined by luck).  In other
words by the time you are a good enough player to win your skill is no
longer the controlling factor in the game - luck is.

Tronius Themoseus

plutchak@uwmacc.UUCP (Joel Plutchak) (05/22/85)

In article <1022@vax1.fluke.UUCP> tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) writes:
>In my humble opinion being a total winner is a rare occurence.  It happens
>almost exclusively to people who have played enough rogue to a) learn to
>not make any stupid mistakes and b) get lucky (with the game essentially
>controlled by a RNG winning is ultimately determined by luck).  In other
>words by the time you are a good enough player to win your skill is no
>longer the controlling factor in the game - luck is.
>
>Tronius Themoseus

   And then there are the hackers who need to cheat (e.g. edit rogue definition
files) to win.
--
 -joel
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!plutchak

bjanz@watarts.UUCP (Bruce Janz) (05/24/85)

I'm not so sure about the comment that it takes a combination of skill
and good luck to become a total winner.  I've been a total winner
several times, and have discovered that it just requires an absence of
bad luck, rather than a presence of good luck (i.e. not getting
petrified by a basilisk or summoned by a god of some sort).  A magic-user
especially should be able to collect all amulets and get back out, at
least in our version (locally called urogue).  Here's a hint:

          **************SPOILER******************

If you are playing a magic-user, try to buy, create, or steal a ring of
add wisdom.  Then, enchant it sufficiently so that you can pray.  The
prayer for healing is especially useful, since if it is used while you
are completely healed, your hit points will rise.  I've had over 1000
hit points.

al@unc.UUCP (Alex Lang) (08/13/85)

What Rogues are available for a PC (actually an AT)?
I have an AT with 512K and run XENIX and PCDOS. I would
prefer a rogue that runs under XENIX but will take what
I can get.

Please include price and where I can get it from.

Thanks,
Alex

schaum@andromeda.UUCP (James Schaum) (03/11/86)

         I would like to know where I might get my hands on a version
   of ultrarogue (preferably 1.02 or later) to run under a 4.2/5.0 UNIX
   enviroment or on a VAX 11/780.  If anybody has information on this,
   please send me a message at <schaum@andromeda.UCPP> or post a message
   on this bulletin board.

                                    Yours Truly,
                                    BIG JIM "fu" SCHAUM

settle@siemens.UUCP (03/19/86)

Me Too!!

Thanks in advance!

Ken Settle
Siemens RTL             {ihnp4|astrovax|allegra|dshovax}!siemens!settle
Princeton, NJ