[comp.org.usrgroup] My Apology

peter@ontmoh.UUCP (Peter Renzland) (05/30/89)

My followup to CHK's recent article was an attempt to hold up a mirror.
Unfortunately this resulted in an article which by its rude and angry
tone may have done more to offend readers than to implore users to keep
from bashing the good guys that go to bat for them.

This not only reflected poorly upon myself, but may have damaged the
sincere and caring efforts of others by supporting them with blunt
language and caustic words.  For this latter part I apologize.

Perhaps my article should have taken the following form:

chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) writes:

> IMHO, A user group is *supposed* to be a bunch of people who get together
> periodically to discuss something of interest to them. In every user group
> that I have belonged to (an Atari group, the Amiga Developer's Forum, a
> model rocketry club, ...) the group tried hard to keep things as informal as
> possible. Politics were specifically disallowed, with a couple of minor
> exceptions (*somebody* has to organize the thing!)

   Those who are interested in the what the charter of /usr/group/cdn says
   about its aims and purposes can easily find out from any board member.
   You may be surprised at the nobility of purpose contained therein.

   As for UU -- I started UU because many directors, members, and spectators
   dind't know (nor care) about UGC's *user* orientation.  They cared about
   things such as "promoting Unix in the marketplace", their business,
   their careers, etc.  I was one of very few "pure" users on the board.
   With UU I wanted to create a forum for those who love Unix, and who
   enjoy sharing that love with others of a like mind.  Hence "Unix Unanimous".
   No politicking, no profiteering, no bickering.

> I have never been to a UU meeting, or a /usr/group/cdn meeting. But from the
> looks of things in this newsgroup/maillist lately, I don't want to either.

  UGC meetings are open (and free) to nonmembers.  For several years I have
  posted event notices and newsletters on the net.  Those who are interested
  can certainly inform themselves.
  Since UU meetings are strictly for enthusiasts, I would hope that those who
  would bring negative energy with them would just not be interested.  There
  is also an acute shortage of seating space.  There are no refreshments,
  no formal organization, and no budget, although I assure you that UGC will
  gladly fund any worthy needs UU might have, from meeting room rentals to
  major technical projects.

  As for can.usrgroup traffic, there was a time when this was strictly a
  (private) mailing list for actual UU types.  Then somebody said, let's
  let the whole world in on it.  I disagreed with that.  Firstly because it
  changed the forum from a cohesive circle of friends to a public spectacle
  with unknown onlookers.  Secondly because we already had a newsgroup,
  comp.org.usrgroup, which would have served that purpose perfectly well.
  (When the mailing list was made public, I felt as if someone had gone
  and publicised my house party in NOW magazine.)

  Harald has not been to a UGC meeting or a UU meeting.  He concludes from
  the looks of recent traffic in can.usrgroup that he is not interested.

  UGC desperately needs members and directors who have positive
  contributions to make.  There is a surfeit of members who do not
  participate, do criticise, and elect power-seeking, promise-breaking
  directors who hold users in contempt.

> There seems to be nothing but political maneuverings going on.

  How easy it was for Harald to write those words.

  My work with UGC on behalf of *users* has cost me thousands of hours,
  and thousands of dollars.  For several years I have quietly helped
  people like CHK.  I've arranged meetings, written and produced newsletters,
  solved technical problems, and, generally, pitched in to fill gaps left
  by other directors' failure to do their jobs.  I'm sorry -- I find it
  distasteful even to have to say these things.

  Who are the bad guys?  Those board members who abuse power, abdicate
  responsibility, and betray trust --  or the apathetic members who
  don't want to know, don't care, and certainly don't want to get involved
  in politics.  Their acquiescence and the propagandists' trivialization
  schemes put the tyrants in power.

  In China, students are risking their lives trying to bring about more
  lawful, less corrupt government.  Thousands of Chinese scholars and
  students around the world are risking serious reprisals for supporting
  the call for human rights and accessible government as promised in their
  constitution.

  Here, in contrast, it is exceedingly difficult to find candidates who are
  willing to stand for a "user association" election.

> I would love to hear that I am wrong. In the mean time, if you guys are
> going to keep "bickering" (friendly or otherwise), can you keep it down to a
> dull roar? (Perhaps email would be more appropriate?)

  And when a handful of fool-hardy well-meaning would-be knights step forward
  to resist the evil fire-breathing dragon that has been ravaging their homes,
  out come the taunting armchair critics and suggest:

  Just to make it unnecessary to speculate:  I'm not running.  I don't have
  to.  At the last election I received more *member* votes than any of the
  other incumbent directors, and then I was sacked from the executive by a
  unanimous (except my own, of course :-) vote of the *board*, which
  rubber-stamped a slate containing a president and two vice-presidents,
  all of whom are marketing executives.

  Now that is what I call political maneuvering!

  Of course Harald meant no malice.  But why does this feel like hit-and-run
  verbal mud-slinging?  (as if to say: "What you are doing doesn't interest
  me.  Do it in private.  And I'm not interested in discussing this.
  Anyways, I don't care about these things that are important to you
  guys -- I was just feeling bored.")

  I respect people who think for themselves, who take responsibility for
  their actions, and who stand up for their principles.

  I don't respect those who leave politics to the dirty politicians
  and then complain that politics is dirty.

> --
> Grandpa Charnock's Law:  | C. Harald Koch  NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
> You never really learn   | chk@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca	   (long-term address)
> to swear until you learn | chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca	      (my current job)
> to drive.		   | chk@chkent.UUCP		    (my AMIGA at home)

Peter Renzland

chk@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (05/30/89)

In article <612519010.21650@ontmoh.UUCP> peter@ontmoh.UUCP (Peter Renzland) writes:
>My followup to CHK's recent article was an attempt to hold up a mirror.
>Unfortunately this resulted in an article which by its rude and angry
>tone may have done more to offend readers than to implore users to keep
>from bashing the good guys that go to bat for them.
>
>This not only reflected poorly upon myself, but may have damaged the
>sincere and caring efforts of others by supporting them with blunt
>language and caustic words.  For this latter part I apologize.

I too would like to apologize for the tone of my original article. It was
not quite what I intended to write. My intention was not to criticize the
efforts of the members of this group. Peter, Paul, Greg, and many others are
fighting hard to represent the user population. I would like to apologize
for sounding so negative, and to congratulate you all on your efforts.

Unfortunately, I am as bad as every other techie I know at expressing myself
in writing.

What I was trying to criticize was the *appearance* of your actions in this
newsgroup. I have not seen any of the issues discussed here (except for a
long posting about the current state of affairs from Evan, I believe). Most
postings lately have been snide remarks between several people, with little
content. Perhaps I am being unreasonable even here. If so, I will shut up
now.

It was mentioned that these remarks may have been an attempt at humor. If
so, they were almost certainly inside jokes. As all us netters should know
by now, humor, sarcasm, etc. *never* comes across well in text.

I apologize for my harsh words. I will try harder to become actively
involved in unix-unanimous in the future.