[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] too much work

ephram@violet.berkeley.edu (05/01/88)

In article <7686@ncoast.UUCP> smith@ncoast.UUCP (Phil Smith) writes:
>> Article <39@bbking.KSP.Unisys.COM> From: rmarks@KSP.Unisys.COM (richard marks)
>
>> I agree.  It is just too much work to edit each file with vi to cut
>> then run it as a shell script then uudecode.  Lets just keep it simple.
>>
>If you use the shell script that was provided it is much less work.
I did not see a shell script to trim the headers and then sh each file.  If
such a beast exists it should be included in part one of each posting that
gets split up.  I am no expert and I could probably (2-3 hours) get a script
to do this working I have not the inclination to do so.  Please send me one
At current I feel that the "new" method is clumsier than the old one.

The old method I used was
1) from rn get a list of subject lines
2) save all of the files with one command in the propper order to a file
3)vi the beast and do a search for /From or the persons .sig and do some delete
   lines (almost always the same # of lines or off by 1).
4) uudecode the beast.

the new method I am ofrced to use is
1) from rn get a list of subject lines
2..n+1) issue a seperate command for each file to save it to an ascii coalated
     set of file names (oops 10 comes before 2) (I know now use 02)
n+2..2n+1) issue vi for each file and delete 1st N lines (see note to 3 above)
               then delete .sig (some postings do not have and exit or some
               such
2n+2..3n+1) run sh on each of the files.

The thing that bugs me is that I now have to do 16 routine boring somewhat
time comsuming steps to get at what before took only 4 routine boring
somewhat time consuming steps.  I also feel that the 4 step method that I
used before was/is faster (opinion mine) than the current method that I
am _forced_ to use (I am no unix expert and do not really wish to be one
I just want some neat DOS software).
.
>The script removes the headers, runs sh on the files, cats them together,
>and runs uudecode on it. Appears to the best solution I have seen when
>a file HAS to be split in to several parts for transmission.
>--
I agree that something like this would be beneficial I would substitute
my step 2,3 & 4 for step 2..n+1, n+2 (run some unpacker that trimmed...).
The vi step is what I found most uncomfortable and the one I have to do
N more times with the new method.

Ephram Cohen
ephram@violet.berkeley.edu

ephram@violet.berkeley.edu (05/01/88)

Keith (from simtel20:-) posted his unshar for his multipart shar It looks like
this will make life alot easier.  Now all I need is a script of some form for
rn to save a set of enumerated messages in a series of ascii coalated files.

Ephram Cohen
ephram@violet.berkeley.edu

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/03/88)

In article <9462@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ephram@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP () writes:
| Keith (from simtel20:-) posted his unshar for his multipart shar It looks like
| this will make life alot easier.  Now all I need is a script of some form for
| rn to save a set of enumerated messages in a series of ascii coalated files.

  This is not impossible, but not as simple as I though when I first saw
your posting. The problem is that you are not run in the directory in
which the files reside. I know how to do it, but don't hold your breath
until I find time to do it.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)