[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PibTerm 4.1.3

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (05/01/88)

Whoops!!! I didn't realize how many revisions I had, and someone mentioned
it to me. How many people would be interested in a posting of PibTerm
4.1.3??? It consists of 9 fairly large files (approx. 150K-220K each), and
wanted to check net response first.

Also, some people weren't sure of the features,. so here is a blurb from the
user's guide (Edited for brevity):

            What Is PibTerm?

            PibTerm   is   a   flexible   terminal  emulation  and  file
            transfer software  package for  the  IBM/PC  and  compatible
            machines.   PibTerm lets your PC emulate a VT100 terminal on
            both the   Cyber  and   VAX.   You  can  also perform Kermit
            protocol  file   transfers  without   exiting  the  program.
            PibTerm is fully  menu  driven.

            This guide  provides an  introduction to  the use of PibTerm
            with the ACNS mainframe computers.  You may also want to get
            two  associated   documents:  the  PibTerm  Script  Language
            Reference  Manual   and  the  PibTerm  Parameters  Reference
            Manual.

            PibTerm Features

            PibTerm sports  many other  features that    may    be    of
            interest once you're comfortable with the basics:

               - A variety of file transfer protocols besides Kermit
               - Script file usage
               - DOS file manipulation without leaving PibTerm
               - Built-in full-screen editor for small files
               - Session logging to a disk or printer
               - Review buffer for current session
               - Host mode capabilities
               - Runs in background with popular multitasking software

            The Kermit  protocol is  standard for all ACNS machines, and
            for microcomputer  to microcomputer  transfers (for example,
            IBM PC  to IBM  PC or  IBM PC  to MacIntosh computers).  But
            there are  also many other transfer protocols in common use.
            The Christensen protocol -- often called the Xmodem protocol
            -- is very popular for file transfers between microcomputers
            (for example, Xmodem is the only transfer protocol supported
            by MacTerminal).   PibTerm incorporates a variety of Xmodem-
            based protocols  and also  allows you to hook in externally-
            defined protocols.   But  for ACNS  use, and  most micro-to-
            micro transfers, all you'll need is Kermit.

            PibTerm provides  a comprehensive script writing utility.  A
            script is  a series of commands to PibTerm which can be used
            to automate  routine communications  tasks like dialing into
            an ACNS  system.   See the section "Scripts -- Tailored Task
            Handling."

            PibTerm allows  access to  the  DOS  operating  system  from
            within a  PibTerm session,  so that  you don't have to leave

            PibTerm to  execute a  DOS command.  See the section "Access
            to the Operating System."

            PibTerm incorporates  a full-screen  editor so  you can edit
            DOS files  right from  within  PibTerm.    See  the  section
            "Editing a file."

            PibTerm can record an entire session with a host computer on
            the printer or in a disk file.  This is useful for keeping a
            record of what you did.  See the section "Session logging."

            PibTerm records the last few lines while you're connected to
            a remote  system in  a special  review buffer.  You can scan
            and search this review buffer, or write it to disk.  This is
            helpful for  checking what commands you just typed but which
            scrolled off  the screen,  or for  looking at  the output of
            earlier commands.   See  the section  "Scanning  the  review
            buffer."

            PibTerm can act as a host system, accepting calls from other
            computers, and  provide remote  DOS access and file transfer
            capabilities along  with password  security to  protect your
            system from unauthorized callers.  See the section "On Being
            a Host."

            PibTerm is designed to work effectively with several popular
            multitasking environments.   This allows you to perform file
            transfers as  a "background" process while you do other work
            on  your   PC.    Supported  multitasking  environments  are
            DoubleDos, DesqView, TopView, and TaskView.  See the section
            "PibTerm and Multitasking Software" for more details.

            For convenience,  PibTerm provides  a dialing directory with
            two hundred  entries.   (You can have a smaller directory if
            you wish.)   Each entry contains all the data communications
            information needed to complete a connection. A script may be
            assigned to  each directory  entry, and  that script will be
            executed upon  successful connection with the remote system.
            Thus, you  can press  one or  two keys and PibTerm will dial
            the remote computer, establish a connection, log you in, and
            leave you ready to start work.

            PibTerm has  a mechanism  for  using  special  long-distance
            dialing services,  which frequently  require you  to prepend
            and or/append access codes to numbers you wish to call.

            The PibTerm  release  materials  include  a  sample  dialing
            directory which lists phone numbers for ACNS systems.

            For more information, see the section "Setting Up And Using
            The Dialing Directory."

            Menu Selection

            PibTerm is  a menu-driven  system. Once  you start  PibTerm,
            you'll be  able to  familiarize yourself  with most  of  its
            capabilities by  simply browsing  through the menus. You can
            use a  command-line form  of control  for PibTerm,  but  the
            menus are generally more convenient.

            You can also use a mouse to control PibTerm.  A sample mouse
            menu setup  for the  Microsoft mouse  is provided as part of
            the PibTerm release materials.

Also, off the top of my head, it has built in ZModem, support for Kermit and
ZModem autodownloads, better support for COM3 and 4, support for
multi-tasking environments such as DoubleDos, improved "G" protocols for
high speed transmissions, improved TEK4010 resolution, and other fine
features. It is written in TurboPascal 4.0, and the sources are part of the
distribution (they make up 4 of the 9 files. There are 3 executable files
and 2 document files, one of which is soley for the Script language).

Brian O'Neill, MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator
ArpaNet: boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu
UUCP   : {(backbones),harvard,rutgers,et. al.}!ulowell!hawk!boneill

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (05/01/88)

If you decide to port PibTerm to comp.binaries.ibm.pc I think it would
be wise to omit the source code as most people don't need or want it.
That should help cut down on net costs.

The whole package is available from SIMTEL20.ARPA in:
Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PIBTERM>
PIBT41.NEW.1			ASCII	  7301  A15FH
PIBT41.NOT.1			ASCII	   499  3985H
PIBT41D1.ARC.1			BINARY	192686  1E0CH
PIBT41D2.ARC.1			BINARY	 82714  D19DH
PIBT41E1.ARC.2			BINARY	117076  4862H
PIBT41E2.ARC.2			BINARY	215554  05CDH
PIBT41E3.ARC.1			BINARY	 43856  16FBH
PIBT41S1.ARC.2			BINARY	215741  F87BH
PIBT41S2.ARC.2			BINARY	233677  2980H
PIBT41S3.ARC.2			BINARY	205056  5A84H
PIBT41S4.ARC.2			BINARY	233089  EB5EH
PT41BUGS.FXD.1			ASCII	  2615  7CC7H
PT41VERS.CUR.1			ASCII	   328  995EH

Many sites on Usenet can get the files via LISTSERV@CICGE.RPI.EDU
using the path:

{decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!cicge.rpi.edu!listserv

Here's the current info on that, FYI...

[Note: In the following discussion, if you are not on BITNET
substitute the address LISTSERV@CICGE.RPI.EDU for the address shown.]

            Help information for the PDGET command

     Selected portions of the SIMTEL20 public domain software archives
are available via a file server at RPICICGE.BITNET.  At present the
collections include the following directories:

     PD1:<CPM.*>     -- The Info-CPM archive (CP/M machines)
     PD1:<SIGM.*>    -- The SIG/M User Group archive (CP/M machines)
     PD1:<MISC.*>    -- The Miscellaneous archives
     PD1:<MSDOS.*>   -- The IBM-PC/MSDOS archives
     PD1:<PC-BLUE.*> -- The PC-Blue User Group archive (MSDOS machines)
Planned:
     PD1:<CPMUG.*>   -- The CP/M User Group archive.

Any of the files in these collections are available from the file
server LISTSERV@RPICICGE.BITNET.  The server responds to two commands.
/PDDIR requests a directory listing of files available in an archive,
and /PDGET requests a file from an archive.  The file server accepts
commands in both interactive messages or RFC822-style mail.  (On
VM and MVS Bitnet hosts, TELL LISTSERV AT RPICICGE... can be used to
send an interactive message.  Other Bitnet systems may have similar
facilities.  People on non-Bitnet systems must use the mail interface,
and must insure that the From: header represents a valid return path.)

****Note:  The server actually responds to many, many other commands,
           but none of them have anything to do with the archives.

The two commands have the following form:

      /PDGET  <format>  simtel.filename  < ( encoding >
      /PDDIR  simtel.pattern

The <...> mark things that are optional.

* "simtel.filename" specifies the name of a file to be delivered to the
    user.  Names are usually of the form "PD1:<dir.subdir>name.type"

* "simtel.pattern" specifies a search pattern used in generating a
    directory listing.  The form of the pattern is like the filename
    mentioned above, but asterisks (*) may be used freely in the
    subdir, name, and type parts as wild cards (but not in the dir field.)

* "format" specifies the method of transmission to be used:

    NETDATA  -- suitable for transfer to Bitnet hosts that can accept
                files in IBM Netdata format.
    PUNCH    -- suitable for transfer to Bitnet hosts that can accept
                files but cannot decode the Netdata format.  Files
                are sent as 80-byte card-images.
    MAIL     -- suitable for transfer to hosts that can accept only
                mail or are accessible to Bitnet only through gateways.
                Large files sent via mail are split into several
                smaller files that the recipient must reassemble.
    If the format is omitted, NETDATA is assumed for Bitnet hosts
    and MAIL for all others.

* "encoding" specifies any special encoding of the file data:

    ASIS     -- suitable for hosts that can receive binary data.  The
                file is sent exactly as it is stored on RPICICGE:
                CP/M sector images, binary mostly.  ASIS may be used
                only with format NETDATA.
    UUENCODE -- suitable for hosts that cannot receive binary data.
                The file is sent uuencoded.
    TRANSLATE -- suitable for any host, but only when the file actually
                represents readable text.  The file is translated into
                character data format.
    If the encoding is omitted, files are sent ASIS if the transmission
    format is NETDATA, and UUENCODEd otherwise.

/PDDIR Examples:
================
(1)  The user is looking for the ARC programs.
            /PDDIR  PD1:<MSDOS.*>ARC*.*

(2)  The user wants a listing of the full MSDOS collection.
            /PDDIR  PD1:<MSDOS>

/PDGET Examples:
================
In each of the following examples the user wants the -FILES.DOC file to
examine on his host and the PKX35A35.EXE file to download to his micro,
both from the MSDOS collection.  Note that none of the examples have a
closing parenthesis!

(1)  The user is on an IBM host directly connected to Bitnet:
           /PDGET  NETDATA  PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>-FILES.DOC  (TRANSLATE
           /PDGET  NETDATA  PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PKX35A35.EXE

(2)  The user is on a non-IBM host directly connected to Bitnet and can
     receive Netdata files:
           /PDGET  NETDATA  PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>-FILES.DOC  (TRANSLATE
           /PDGET  NETDATA  PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PKX35A35.EXE  (UUE

(3)  The user is on a non-IBM host directly connected to Bitnet and can
     receive punch files:
           /PDGET  PUNCH  PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>-FILES.DOC  (TRANSLATE
           /PDGET  PUNCH  PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PKX35A35.EXE  (UUE

(4)  The user is on some host somewhere:
           /PDGET  MAIL  PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>-FILES.DOC  (TRANSLATE
           /PDGET  MAIL  PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>PKX35A35.EXE  (UUE

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie: W8SDZ

alfie@deepthot.UUCP (Chris Alfs) (05/02/88)

In article <6691@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:
>Whoops!!! I didn't realize how many revisions I had, and someone mentioned
>it to me. How many people would be interested in a posting of PibTerm
>4.1.3??? It consists of 9 fairly large files (approx. 150K-220K each), and
>wanted to check net response first.
>
>Also, some people weren't sure of the features,. so here is a blurb from the
>user's guide (Edited for brevity):

	[description of PibTerm deleted]
(using alfie's account)

I'm interested...VERRRY interested.

---
(using a friend's account),                    UUCP: uunet!watmat!deepthot!alfie
          Claude Morin                         BITNET: alfie@deepthot.uwo.cdn
   a.k.a. ClaudeHopper                         ARPA: Well, we don't have one due
                                                     to political reasons...

gilmore@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott Gilmore) (05/02/88)

In article <KPETERSEN.12394856585.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA> W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) writes:
>The whole package is available from SIMTEL20.ARPA in: ...

Better yet, if you have Internet/Arpanet access, then you can instead go
directly to the source of the source, Northwestern University, where the
author (Phil Burns) works.  All of the files are available via anonymous FTP.
The Internet address is:  accuvax.nwu.edu

clark@ttidca.TTI.COM (Ralph Clark) (05/03/88)

You want to post 2 meg of stuff that will take a hard disk to compile with
a particular version of a compiler?!

Why not save 1,999,000 bytes (and Brad knows how many bucks!) and just
post the phone number of one of the hundred BBS's this can be found on,
and the address of one of the dozens of PD distributors who'll send it
out for a few bucks, or the location of one of the many computer swap
meets it can be bought at, or the meeting date of the local user's groups
it can be found at?

--
Ralph Clark (clark@TTI.COM)
Citicorp(+)TTI

w8sdz@brl-smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (05/03/88)

Phil Berns, author of PibTerm was the one who put his files on
SIMTEL20.  Are you saying they have been replaced by newer versions on
his host?  If so, he hasn't told me about it.
--
Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA

jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) (05/04/88)

for everyone to obtain it.

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (05/05/88)

In article <6691@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:

>Also, off the top of my head, it has built in ZModem, support for Kermit and

Another OOPS!!! As I reviewed the package of Pibterm 4.1.3, I found out that
ZModem is NOT built in, rather it just has a built in interface for DSZ,
making it somewhat simpler to use. Sorry for the misinformation. When I saw
zmodem as an option on downloading, I didn't realize that it was for DSZ,
which also is not supplied with it.

As far as posting, I'll wait a bit, but I will post the docs and executables
only. Those that wish sources can obtain them from Simtel20 or
swan.ulowell.edu (129.69.1.1, I believe, in directory
ibmpc/archives/Comm/Pibterm4.1.3), or can get them by e-mail from me. They
are really too big to post, and only a few would really need them.

Brian O'Neill, MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator
ArpaNet: boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu
UUCP   : {(backbones),harvard,rutgers,et. al.}!ulowell!hawk!boneill

henkbo@philce.UUCP (Henk Boetzkes) (05/06/88)

Yes, (60 X) yes.
So send it !
--
# Henk.A.P.A. Boetzkes # E.D.P. N.P.B. Consumer Electronics # PO. BOX 218      ## 5600 MD Eindhoven, The Netherlands # Building SK4, Room 416                  #