[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Flushot-Plus ver. 1.2 anti-virus/anti-trojan

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (05/08/88)

In article <7843@brl-smoke.ARPA> w8sdz@brl-smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) writes:
> Ross Greenberg has been continually improving his Flushot program for
> MSDOS computers.  This is version 1.2 of Flushot-Plus, obtained directly
> from the author.  This is also available to Arpanet readers via standard
> anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20.ARPA as: PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>FSP_12.ARC.

I have noted the following bugs in this newest FSP 1.2:

o     BRIEF can *still* read and write files that FSP is supposedly
      protecting against reads or writes.

o     Answering "any other key" to abort Norton V4 ds's INT 26
      write hangs my machine (as in big-red-switch time).

o     The new X= option to allow selected trusted programs to run
      without being monitored, does not appear to work.  I tried
      entering the full path names for Norton's V4 nu and ds
      utilities, and both were still caught by FSP when they tried
      to INT 26 to the disk.

o     Any 'del *.foo' will be intercepted as a protected "write"
      to ????????.foo.  It doesn't mind a wildcarded extension,
      but it will throw up a warning on *any* DOS 'del' command
      that has a filename of '*'.

o     The "G" flag written to the upper right corner of the screen
      (to indicate you have replied "G"o to a warning message) is
      not turned off when the application terminates.  (This is
      more irritating than it is anything else.)

The BRIEF problem is indicative of the most serious flaw, and was
supposedly fixed in this release (something about some code being
commented out that shouldn't have been, or some such thing).  It
was the first thing I tested and it still fails.

I have sent three email messages to Ross at his listed network address
(bellcore!ditka!ramnet!flushot), but I have heard nothing in reply.
If someone could forward this to him, perhaps he could address these
issues in the next release.  In the meantime, folks, keep them disks
backed up!

Dick

P.S.  If you haven't sent Ross ten bucks, go ahead.  He's trying real
      hard to help all of us, and he's not going to get rich at that
      price!  (c/o Ross Greenberg, 594 3rd Ave, NY, NY 10016)

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481