[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PICNIX V3 Parts 1-4 Reposted

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (05/10/88)

It would appear that the first four parts of the twelve-part PICNIX V3
posting fell into a black hole shortly after leaving this site.

I have reposted parts 1-4 to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (05/11/88)

In article <1664@slvblc.UUCP>, dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes...

]I have reposted parts 1-4 to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

Thanks a bunch, Dick.  I'll look for them and I know a lot of others
will too!

==Jess Anderson======(home:)========INTERNET: anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu====
| 1210 W. Dayton     2838 Stevens   UUCP: {harvard,rutgers,allegra,ucbvax} |
| Madison, WI 53706  Madison 53705   !uwvax!vms3.macc.wisc.edu!anderson    |
==608/263-6988=======608/238-4833===BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc===============

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (05/13/88)

In article <84@dcs.UUCP>, wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
> >>I have reposted parts 1-4 to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
> >
> >Thanks a bunch, Dick.  I'll look for them and I know a lot of others
> >will too!
> But since in the meantime the control message "comp.binaries.ibm.pc moderated"
> went out all over the net, Dick's posting will not work properly but generate
> lots of unnecessary traffic ...
> And Rahul has got so much stuff already that it'll be a while before he'd
> get to PICNIX ...

Geezzz . . . no joke about the waiting!  Rahul, you there??  Many of us are
sitting here with a partialy completed posting!  Could you PLEASE place this
#1 on your priority list and get this out ASAP??

********************************** inews **************************************
d                                  f d e
d                                   o d r
********************************** inews **************************************

--
Phil Ritzenthaler    UUCP :.!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!ritzenth
                     ARPA : ritzenth@andy.bgsu.edu

"Remember, OPRAH spelled backwards is HARPO (toot-toot)!" -- Anonymous

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (05/13/88)

In article <2192@bgsuvax.UUCP> ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) writes:

|> >Thanks a bunch, Dick.  I'll look for them and I know a lot of others
|> >will too!
|> But since in the meantime the control message "comp.binaries.ibm.pc moderated"
|> went out all over the net, Dick's posting will not work properly but generate
|> lots of unnecessary traffic ...
|> And Rahul has got so much stuff already that it'll be a while before he'd
|> get to PICNIX ...
|
|Geezzz . . . no joke about the waiting!  Rahul, you there??  Many of us are
|sitting here with a partialy completed posting!  Could you PLEASE place this
|#1 on your priority list and get this out ASAP??
|
|                   <"inews fodder" deleted>

2 things - first a flame- ^^^^^^^^^^^^ that is a pure and complete waste of
net bandwidth.  If you're going to post something that is shorter than what
you're follow-upping to, change the > to something else, like a | or something
that inews will ignore.

Second... Does simtel20 have the most recent version of PICNIX?  I'm sure many
people can get it from there... I got the version that they had but I don't
think it's the same as what was just posted (the total size was different).
I think simtel20 had version 2..?? Anyway, if anyone knows if simtel20 has
picnix v3, could you do us all a favor and tell us about it?

		Thanks
--
   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner     Bitnet: wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
  /  )    // //       /  '                   Internet: wcf @ hcx.psu.edu

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (05/13/88)

In article <71@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (Bill Fenner) writes:
]|<"inews fodder" deleted>
]   ^^^^^^^^^^^^ that is a pure and complete waste of net bandwidth.

Have you ever stopped to consider how much "net bandwidth" is taken up by
the phrase "net bandwidth" ? (read it an Andy Rooney voice)

The computation is left to you, gentle reader, as an intellectual exercise.
--
--==---==---==--
.. did gyre and gymble in the wabe: ..

browning@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Craig Browning) (05/14/88)

In article <7054@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:

>At the moment, it does not appear that Mr. Petersen has all the parts to
>PICNIX either, as the version currently on Simtel20 IS version 2. Hoepfully
>he will be able to get it soon.

>Brian O'Neill, MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator

Well, I got the arc version from simtel20 (After thanking Dick Flanagan
for posting I have to flame him a bit [he's the only person to flame me
in public about my mistake with names which we've all forgotten :)] for
posting files with DIFFERENT headers and footers, making it easy to make
errors when editing them, I started a type-ahead pattern of deleting so
many lines and ended up when he changed in the middle of the series a number
of times deleting lots of uuencoded lines with the type-ahead. This is a
good time to remind posters in multi-part postings to be consistent in their
headers and footers except part 1, hopefully the moderator will do that, and
let me add that the previous  idea of taking part #'s out of subhect so
it's easier to 'k'ill a whole series of postings is a good idea that the
moderator should in my opinion implement, keywords etc. would be a fine place.)

On picnix: the doc file said in the release area that Release 2 is 11/87 and
on the next line that this was modified May 1 1988; it doesn't mention
release 3 but shouldn't that be it? I think there's some confusion because
of this about what release 3 is.

Craig

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (05/17/88)

having suitably whined about the damned thing being posted in the first
place, it is now sitting in the spool directory here waiting to be
uudecoded and split.  the actual order to be determined by some collection
of experiments ...

ANY WAY ...

the .arc file was assembled, un-arc'd and the stuff all played with, so
i know i have a good copy.  so, you can come get it if you haven't
received it yet, or if it is missing from your machine somehow.  the
directions for getting stuff are enclosed below.  the .arc file is
currently sitting there named '/usr/spool/uucppublic/picnix3.arc'
and is HUGE so i wouldn't suggest snatching it just yet ...  unless you
are in dallas or have pcp and plenty of patience.  as usual, floppies
and a pre-paid mailer works wonders.  send money for chili if you want
really fast service, and some really good chili mix ;-)

- john.
--
[ Last modified 03-Apr-88 ]

What this is ...		[ ignore this part		]

This posting is made in response to someones request for a source package.
rpp386 is a public access SCO Xenix(tm) source archive system.  A list of
files is available for your to peruse.  After setting up the L.sys entry
for your system, you should immediately request the file ~uucp/archive
(/usr/spool/uucppublic/archive).  Additionally, you should request this
file before any large file transfers, as file location may change, and
packages may be added.

Setting this up ...		[ pay careful attention here	]

Add the line

rpp386 Any ACU 2400 12142506272 in:--in:--in: anonuucp

to your L.sys file.  You may have to adjust things to get this line to
work.  Send a break to change from 2400 to 1200 baud.  Try logging in
by hand if you have trouble.  The login uuhelp exists for just this
purpose.

Requesting the transfer ...	[ request rpp386!~/picnix3.arc ]

The archive listing file will give the location of the files.  All of
the packages are storaged as 16 bit compressed sharchives, except for
compress of course, stored in the subdirectory /usr/archive/.

Handling large transfers ...	[ and this one is HUGE !!!	]

There is a VOLUME column on the listing.  That gives the floppy disk
which the backup of the archive is stored.  If you plan on transfering
more than a few 100K, you may wish to use the US MAIL.  Send E-mail
and we can work something out.

Submitting sources ...		[ don't do this just yet ...	]

Please do not upload more than 10K at a time.  I actually look at
all the code.  Large source submissions will create a serious strain
on my work load.  Binaries will be trashed outright.  SCO does not
permit me to re-distribute binaries.
--
John F. Haugh II                 | "You see, I want a lot. Perhaps I want every
River Parishes Programming       | -thing.  The darkness that comes with every