[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Flushot PLUS TRASHES CMOS RAM

matt@psuhcx (Matt Cohen) (05/22/88)

I was testing FLUSHOT Plus to see if it was worth the
$10.00 fee the Author, Ross Greenberg is charging.
I knew that a large number of hours had been put into the program.
The documentation made it lk prettgood, even though it was a bit
rambly.
I created a FLUSHOT.DAT file, and put in 37 lines
	of the form
	C=filename

	When I loaded Flushot, I got a message saying that
	there was no room for a table, and the machine hung.

	I had not read the documentation closely enough. It turns
	out that you have to put a 'dummy' checksum in each line
	like this:
		C=filename[12345]
	Where 12345 is the dummy number. When flushot is started,
	it checksums the file, and reports the new number, which
	you have to write down and type in FOR EACH FILE!
	I then rewrote the FLUSHOT.DAT file with only two programs,
	command.com and a.bat checksummed. Flushot checked them on
	startup, but did not perform as advertised when I ran A.BAT,
	changed it, and ran it again.
	Flushot claims that it checksums files  whenever they are
	loaded by MSDOS. I guess this does not apply to BATCH files.
 	I was going to test checksumming of .EXE files, but FLUSHOT
	trashed my CMOS ram.

FLUSHOT PROTECTS CMOS RAM ?

	Finally, I added two more lines to FLUSHOT.DAT with dummy
	checksums. I restarted FLUSHOT and got the following
	message:

		CMOS RAM HAS BEEN CHANGED. Y TO CONTINUE, ANY OTHER
		KEY TO PROCEED

	Followed by a long garbled bunch of characters!.
        Naturally, when I rebooted I could not boot from the
	Hard Disk, until I restored the setup information.

	My CMOS ram was trashed by FLUSHOT! I hoped that no damage
	had been performed to my FAT!.
	I then restored my ram with a CMOS-SAV progam which I wrote
	for such a purpose, and reloaded flushot.

	I then ran a program which zeroed out my CMOS ram using
	MS C outp() function, without a whimper from FLUSHOT.

	Note that I had no TSR'S present when this happened. I
	have a Leading Edge AT clone (Made by Mitsubishi, same
	as SPERRY IT). I am running DOS 3.1.

	I considered the possibility of Ross Greenberg enforcing
	his $10.00 fee by putting counters into flushot (since I
	had to restart it each time I changed anything in the
	FLUSHOT.DAT file and did this a number of times)
	and put the idea aside. (That was a pretty virulent dissertation
	in the manual about *worms*, maybe he thinks that people
	who don't buy his software are *worms*?!? :-)
 	What I think Ross will accomplish by these threats, rewards,
	challenges is ENCOURAGE scores of copycats to write viruses
	to beat flushot (which is buggy).

	My conclusion is that FLUSHOT Plus does not perform as
	advertised (in my case, anyway) and I would not use it
	or even trust it with my data.
	The checksum protection is quite limited in number of
	files, and the
	method of entering the checksum is quite painful.

	The bugs in the program might be excusable if
	the program was public domain or shareware in the
	sense that you pay for it only if you think it is
	valuable (not if you use it, since technically, I
	owe Ross Greenberg $10 since I used it) .
	I think that it tries to do too much, and ends up doing
	too little, even the wrong thing altogether. This shows
	poor design and testing practice.

	When I support a shareware program, I am not paying the
	author for his time, I am paying for a finished product.
	And a finished product, FLUSHOT PLUS is not !

	The above is my opinion, and no-one is liable for it but
	myself. I reserve the right to deny everything.

			Matt Cohen (matt@psuhcx)

ejb@think.COM (Erik Bailey) (05/22/88)

Lineater, you'd better get your asbestos suit on pronto!

***FLAME ON***

In article <82@psuhcx.psu.edu> matt@psuhcx (Matt Cohen) writes:

>I was testing FLUSHOT Plus to see if it was worth the
>$10.00 fee the Author, Ross Greenberg is charging.
>
> [...]
>
>	I had not read the documentation closely enough. It turns
>	out that you have to put a 'dummy' checksum in each line
>	like this:
>		C=filename[12345]
>	Where 12345 is the dummy number. When flushot is started,
>	it checksums the file, and reports the new number, which
>	you have to write down and type in FOR EACH FILE!

Would you rather it do it FOR YOU? Gee that would be swift, wouldn't it?
Nah, I don't think it would be TOO hard to extract the encodeing technique
out of the code and rechecksum a trashed file... Lissen Matt, that is in
there for YOUR protection!!! Is 5 minutes of entering a few numbers REALLY
so BAD???

>	I then rewrote the FLUSHOT.DAT file with only two programs,
>	command.com and a.bat checksummed. Flushot checked them on
>	startup, but did not perform as advertised when I ran A.BAT,
>	changed it, and ran it again.

Well, what type of character did you put after the checksum? Only a +
checksums a file when it is run.  A - or ,1 checksum it at FSP load time.

>	Flushot claims that it checksums files  whenever they are
>	loaded by MSDOS. I guess this does not apply to BATCH files.
> 	I was going to test checksumming of .EXE files, but FLUSHOT
>	trashed my CMOS ram.
>
>FLUSHOT PROTECTS CMOS RAM ?

Yes, it does. Since I don't have an AT, I've not used this feature.
It may be a bug.

>	I considered the possibility of Ross Greenberg enforcing
>	his $10.00 fee by putting counters into flushot (since I
>	had to restart it each time I changed anything in the
>	FLUSHOT.DAT file and did this a number of times)
>	and put the idea aside. (That was a pretty virulent dissertation
>	in the manual about *worms*, maybe he thinks that people
>	who don't buy his software are *worms*?!? :-)
> 	What I think Ross will accomplish by these threats, rewards,
>	challenges is ENCOURAGE scores of copycats to write viruses
>	to beat flushot (which is buggy).

Well, I take offense to this. Why? I'm a close personal friend of Ross,
and a major beta-tester for his software (INCLUDING fsp). Look. Ross
didn't HAVE to write that program. In fact, way back on FLUSHOT v1.0, he
just wrote it for the heck of it. He had no idea it would turn into
practically a full-time job. If you put that much effort in, I'd suspect
that you'd expect some money in return. BTW -- a *LOT* of people have
registered FSP. BTW#2 -- there is NOT a counter in the code.

>	My conclusion is that FLUSHOT Plus does not perform as
>	advertised (in my case, anyway) and I would not use it
>	or even trust it with my data.
>	The checksum protection is quite limited in number of
>	files, and the
>	method of entering the checksum is quite painful.

Awwww.... Can't read a number and type it in? Looks like you have a
limited mental capacity.

>	The bugs in the program might be excusable if
>	the program was public domain or shareware in the
>	sense that you pay for it only if you think it is
>	valuable (not if you use it, since technically, I
>	owe Ross Greenberg $10 since I used it) .

Sorry, that's not shareware anymore. Look at 90% of shareware code. They
say, basically, that you are entitled to use the program for a small period
of time (for example TAPCIS says 21 days, and yes, I've registered mine),
and if you use it beyond that, you are *REQUIRED* (emphasis on that word)
to register.

>	I think that it tries to do too much, and ends up doing
>	too little, even the wrong thing altogether. This shows
>	poor design and testing practice.

Well, don't use it.

>	When I support a shareware program, I am not paying the
>	author for his time, I am paying for a finished product.
>	And a finished product, FLUSHOT PLUS is not !

That's what new versions are for. v1.3 will be coming out very soon
(probably this week) which will, among other fixes, fix a bug in the
X= handling of 1.2... I'm SSSOOOOO sorry you object to bugs. Hope you
never bought Lotus 1-2-3...

>	The above is my opinion, and no-one is liable for it but
>	myself. I reserve the right to deny everything.

Good. Deny it then.

>			Matt Cohen (matt@psuhcx)

***FLAME OFF***

I am, by the way, forwarding your original letter to Ross. --Erik
Erik Bailey     | CompuServe | 7 Oak Knoll         | (ARPA/USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!think!ejb |  PCMagNet  | Arlington, MA 02174 | Thinking Machines Corp.,
ejb@think.com   | 72261,3275 | (617) 643-0732      | First St, Cambridge, MA)
do headache -> take 1 aspirin od "This terminates one way or another" -Dijkstra

ejb@think.COM (Erik Bailey) (05/23/88)

As promised, I forwarded matt@psuhcx (Matt Cohen)'s letter to Ross.
Here's his reply:

"Well, Matt, I'm sorry that you found the program to be less than you
expected.  You certainly got your money's worth, though, didn't you?

Look, the program does try to do a lot.  One area I'v had consistant
trouble with has been CMOS.  It'll get pulled in the next release.  Not
because some people didn;t find it useful. Just because the bitching from
the people who had problems with it isn't worth the lousy $10 that the other
people pay.  If you don't like it, don't use it.  I'm certain that I won;t
lose any sleep over it.

You might want to consider using one of the commercial products.  I
understand that at least one of them costs about $200.  But, since you have
to pay them in advance, I would assume that you'd not even consider such a
thing.  I ask people to contact me if they have a problem.  I guess that
part of the manual (the one with my phone number) must have escaped your
astute observations as well as the "How to Use Flu_Shot" section must have.
I know!!  Your printer was out of paper! Well, just for you Matt, I'll print
out a copy here and send it to you --- if you pay the postage.

But, I guess with people like you around, I should just stop enhancing
FLU_SHOT, or trying to protect *you* from the bad guys.  Hell, I can't even
protect you from yourself.

Have a nice day, Matt."