[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Dos replacements

opergb@uvm-gen.UUCP (Gary Bushey) (05/31/88)

Does anyone have a program that will or know how to replace commands
in DOS.  For example, I wish to have ls instead of dir.

Either E-mail or post please

Thanks in advance.

Gary Bushey
E-mail: opergb@uvm-gen

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (06/03/88)

In article <858@uvm-gen.UUCP> opergb@uvm-gen.UUCP (Gary Bushey) writes:

>Does anyone have a program that will or know how to replace commands
>in DOS.  For example, I wish to have ls instead of dir.
>
>Either E-mail or post please
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Gary Bushey
>E-mail: opergb@uvm-gen

If you don't want to go for the extra cost or work to find the programs,
like Picnix or the alternate command shells, just set up a bunch of batch
files with the appropriate commands.  For example, here's what a file
"LS.BAT" would look like:

@echo off
dir/w %1 %2

The only drawback to this method is that even though the batch file is only
about 30 bytes long, it'll still take up 2K on your disk (DOS minimum cluster
size).  Of course, the Picnix version of ls is well over 2K long, so this
might be a worthwhile tradeoff.  You must make the decision.

Steve