[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] That morse program

NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) (06/09/88)

I downloaded the morse code program and tried to run it on our PS/2
Model 60 under DOS 3.3 and all I get is the error message stating that
all files must be in the same directory as the executable.  I have a
70 Meg. hard disk brocken down into three partitions plus a 1 meg ram disk.
The program will not function on any of these four disks.  I also created
subdirectories of varying titles on each of the four disk and tried
executing the program from there, still no success.  The program author
comments in the documentation that the previous version of the program
needed to be run from a specific directory.  I am wondering if an older
version of the program was mistakenly packaged rather than the new
one.  Comments??

                                  As always,
                                  G.W. Wettstein
                                  WB0YVX/NU013809@NDSUVM1

bmp@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brian M. Perkin) (06/10/88)

We're puzzled too. We downloaded to what we thought were two pretty
identical Vectra's. One worked fine, the other got the same
strange message. Our only clue is that one has the files downloaded
to the hard disc, and works, the other has them on a floppy and doesn't
work. We haven't gone through the permuations yet.

brian Perkin
hpda!bmp

darrelj@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Darrel VanBuer) (06/10/88)

In article <1860@hubcap.UUCP> disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
>From article <3085@crash.cts.com>, by andym@crash.cts.com (Andy Micone):
>> I just downloaded that morse code training program. One small problem,
>> it keeps, saying that all the files aren't in the proper place. I've
> I attempted to run the program on my Tandy 1000SX without any luck.
> We moved over to stock IBM AT and it worked like a charm.
>... probleme with the Tandy, of if there's something peculiar about my setup
>that caused the problem.

The first time I tried to run it on an XT I also got the message about
location of files.   Then a combination of another program which told me to
change files=n in config.sys because there wasn't enough for it, plus a line
in the SM manual which said it needed files=20 (I was at files=16) turned on a
little lightbulb.
I changed config.sys  to say files=24, rebooted and it worked!
SM must consume more memory in open file descriptors and buffers than they
save by not reading all the files in one at a time, closing and reusing the
file slots!
__... ...__   ..._._

--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD; unisys; 2400 Colorado Ave; Santa Monica, CA 90406
(213)829-7511 x5449        KI6VY        darrel@CAM.UNISYS.COM   or

boehmr@unioncs.UUCP (Richard Boehm) (06/11/88)

In article <1225NU013809@NDSUVM1> NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) writes:
>I downloaded the morse code program and tried to run it on our PS/2
>Model 60 under DOS 3.3 and all I get is the error message stating that
>all files must be in the same directory as the executable.  I have a
>70 Meg. hard disk brocken down into three partitions plus a 1 meg ram disk.
>The program will not function on any of these four disks.  I also created
>subdirectories of varying titles on each of the four disk and tried
>executing the program from there, still no success.  The program author
>comments in the documentation that the previous version of the program
>needed to be run from a specific directory.  I am wondering if an older
>version of the program was mistakenly packaged rather than the new
>one.  Comments??
>
>                                  As always,
>                                  G.W. Wettstein
>                                  WB0YVX/NU013809@NDSUVM1

Make sure there are no blank lines at the end of any of the '.sm'
files.  I solved the problem you describe by removing  a trailing
blank line from the file 'groups.sm.'

bmp@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brian M. Perkin) (06/11/88)

I experimented with the hard disc/floppy disc stuff and
it didn't solve things. I would try increasing the Files=
parameter in config.sys, that looks  like a good bet.

Brian
hpda!bmp