[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Pkarc 3.6 bug?

fritz@unocss.UUCP (Tim Russell) (06/12/88)

Has anyone else discovered a possible bug in Pkware 3.6?  I downloaded it
and immediately tried the MORE feature, but my computer hung quite nicely
when I hit Escape before the end of the file.  This occurred both when
doing only one file and when typing more than one file.

   Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm running a Tandy 1000 with 640k and
DOS 3.2.  I'm going to try it on an AT later and see if it happens there, but
I'm sure it will - my Tandy is so close to completely compatible I've never
had a problem with anything.

   This is a very nice release, folks.. Let's show our support of Phil's
efforts and send in that 20 bucks, and tell SEA what they can do with their
lawsuits!  Proprietary format indeed.

--
---------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Tim Russell, Computer Operator  | Internet: fritz@fergvax.unl.edu

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (06/14/88)

I've had no problem with pkxarc -cm, it hasn't locked my cheap XT clone...
The thing that really bugs me is that all the utilities that use ARC (ALL the
FidoNet utilities) expect PKXARC.COM or PKARC.COM, not .EXE! AAAAAARGH!
Is there any way to have a short .COM program that just runs the .EXE?

				Thanks
--
   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner     Bitnet: wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
  /  )    // //       /  '                   Internet: wcf @ hcx.psu.edu

dow@wjh12.harvard.edu (Dominik Wujastyk) (06/15/88)

I too have had no trouble with the "m" option in PKARC 3.6.

Gods! This lawsuit is absurd.  It would be laughable if it were not so
nasty.  Like KP,  I'll never use a SEA product again, if I can help it.

D. Wujastyk

--
bitnet:	 user DOW on the bitnet node HARVUNXW
arpanet: dow@wjh12.harvard.edu

toma@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (06/16/88)

In article <148@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (Bill Fenner) writes:
>The thing that really bugs me is that all the utilities that use ARC (ALL the
>FidoNet utilities) expect PKXARC.COM or PKARC.COM, not .EXE! AAAAAARGH!
>Is there any way to have a short .COM program that just runs the .EXE?

The easiest solution is "ren pk*.exe pk*.com".  MS/DOS does not care if the
extension is EXE or COM, it looks at the first byte to decide the executable
format.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.TEK.COM