[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need Good PD MS-DOS disassembler

steve@dad.UUCP (Steve Cook) (07/12/88)

Does anyone have a decent dissasembler for MS-DOS?
We're trying to recover/extract sources from antique
(ie.  older compiler object libraries for which
we've managed to misplace the original sources) in the
hope of converting them for use with newer compilers.

The only one we have found in our news archive (asmgen)
is, shall we say, poorly documented.  Perhaps a better
description of its use would be adequate???

Thanx in advance.
--
 Too late...
 {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!dad!steve

akk2@ur-tut (Atul Kacker) (07/13/88)

In article <3386@dad.UUCP> steve@dad.UUCP (Steve Cook) writes:
>Does anyone have a decent dissasembler for MS-DOS?
>We're trying to recover/extract sources from antique
>(ie.  older compiler object libraries for which
>we've managed to misplace the original sources) in the
>hope of converting them for use with newer compilers.

A recent issue of PC-Magazine (sometime in April '88) had a product
announcement for a product that takes .COM or .EXE files and generates
'commented' disassembled code.  Not having much experience with this
kind of stuff, I don't know if that is exactly what you had in mind...
The price, if I remember was about a hundred dollars.

--
Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu

browning@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Craig Browning) (07/16/88)

In article <3386@dad.UUCP> steve@dad.UUCP (Steve Cook) writes:
>Does anyone have a decent dissasembler for MS-DOS?
> {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!dad!steve

Correct this if wrong:
The best shareware assembler, perhaps the best assembler is Isaacsons(sp?)'s
A86 and D86 (disassembler) packages available on BBS's. perhaps they should
be posted here.
The latest version I've seen locally is 3.15; the guy guarantees it's the
fastest period. If you can't find it try Vernon Buerg's BBS: 707-778-8944.

I didn't use it much but it looked good, done by a guy who used to work for
someone relevant (helped design the processor or the official assembler or
something ...)

Craig

cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (07/17/88)

From article <4499@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, by browning@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Craig Browning):
> The best shareware assembler, perhaps the best assembler is Isaacsons(sp?)'s
> A86 and D86 (disassembler) packages available on BBS's. perhaps they should
> be posted here.
No, they shouldn't.  They are available by ftp on simtel20.ARPA and friends.

> I didn't use it much but it looked good, done by a guy who used to work for
> someone relevant (helped design the processor or the official assembler or
> something ...)

I'm not sure anyone is as good as Isaacson claims he himself is.
On what basis, other than the author's blowing his own horn in the
readme files, do you say A86/D86 are that great?  I tried it a bit
and thought it was OK, but not perfect.  Anyhow, I thought D86 was
more of a 'Debugger' than a 'Disassembler'.  Maybe I am wrong...
--